GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by MWB »

To be fair, Widmer Brewery was an independent brewery that was ultimately bought by AB, while Blue Moon is a beer that was produced by MillerCoors. I do think there is a difference in a craft brewery being bought out by a big company compared to a big company making a "craft" beer. IMO, the former is much more likely to produce a solid beer.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Yeah, the Goose Island belgian offerings, for example, are still tremendous. As is BCBS.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Goose Island is one that came to mind for me as well.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Was there a time when Magic Hat was decent or am I making that up? I think I enjoyed #9 maybe 5-6 years ago, but anytime I've had it recently, it has indeed been pretty bad. It could be that my tastes have just evolved too.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

largegarlic wrote:Was there a time when Magic Hat was decent or am I making that up? I think I enjoyed #9 maybe 5-6 years ago, but anytime I've had it recently, it has indeed been pretty bad. It could be that my tastes have just evolved too.
same. i liked #9 at some point. but i didn't know much about beer at the time
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I've never had a barley ale....

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguide ... rss_epilog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

largegarlic wrote:Was there a time when Magic Hat was decent or am I making that up? I think I enjoyed #9 maybe 5-6 years ago, but anytime I've had it recently, it has indeed been pretty bad. It could be that my tastes have just evolved too.
Magic Hat was a very solid brewery overall about 15-20 years ago. Their original red ale was very good. They had a couple other good beers. Then they expanded like crazy and the product went downhill just as fast.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

So... Berlin Street Foods is setting up shop outside Draai Laag on Friday evening. Oh yes, this needs to happen.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Apparently the "History" Channel is doing a show following Dark Horse brewery called "Dark Horse Nation". First two episodes are on tonight.

I don't think I've ever tried any of their beers. Might DVR the show just to see if it's interesting.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

So yeah... Dark Horse Nation is about beer only in that the guys work in a brewery. The first episode was half relevant... they were attempting to design a system to recover some of the hops that they previously were wasting as a result of the dry hopping process. The other half of teh show was about how they all like to hunt and the one guy can't shoot to save his life... felt Duck Dynasty-ish in a way, but less inbred.

The second episode was pretty much all about them trying to build a gigantic ice fishing shanty. The only time beer really came into play was when their bottling machine broke down and they had to fix it. And of course they drank while they were fishing.

Don't think I'll be watching this again... was hoping it would be more about beer, but looks like it's largely just another reality show w/o much (if anything) new to offer.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Went to the Market District at Settler's Ridge today. What a nice place. I had no idea that they had beer on tap, and the prices were very good.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

For some reason, New Holland has decided to issue Dragon's Milk aged with arbol chile peppers. Not good.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

slappybrown wrote:For some reason, New Holland has decided to issue Dragon's Milk aged with arbol chile peppers. Not good.
Ugh, I don't understand the love affair with combining chiles and beer. Just gross city to me.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

shafnutz05 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:For some reason, New Holland has decided to issue Dragon's Milk aged with arbol chile peppers. Not good.
Ugh, I don't understand the love affair with combining chiles and beer. Just gross city to me.
I met my buddy at the bar and he got there a minute or two before me and ordered two not realizing it was chile pepper aged and thinking it was standard issue Dragon's Milk. Its even more disappointing when you take a sip and have no idea that its going to be this nonsense. Why ruin a perfectly good exceptional beer?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

the wicked child wrote:So... Berlin Street Foods is setting up shop outside Draai Laag on Friday evening. Oh yes, this needs to happen.
It's Happening.gif
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

If you have to drink for around 9 hours starting around lunch time, while playing yard games all day, what do you like to drink (I already have a bottle of whiskey, so don't say that)? Bells 2 hearted ale sounds like a really good choice, but I'm not 100% sold on the decision yet
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Bells 2 hearted is too heavy and too high of alcohol content for me to drink all day...

Some of my choices:
Founders All Day IPA
Anything with the word session in it
Macros... no shame in pounding Miller High Lifes all day long
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

eddysnake wrote:If you have to drink for around 9 hours starting around lunch time, while playing yard games all day, what do you like to drink (I already have a bottle of whiskey, so don't say that)? Bells 2 hearted ale sounds like a really good choice, but I'm not 100% sold on the decision yet
A wheat beer seems like a good choice (unless you're PFIDC and you get stuck with a gluten free beer).
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

anyone enjoy Sierra Nevada summerfest?
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

I'd go with a session ale as C2i mentioned. If you're in Pittsburgh my personal favorite (over founders and stone offerings) is fat heads sunshine daydream. 4.7% and has a nice body unlike many other sessions that are merely hop flavored water.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

eddysnake wrote:If you have to drink for around 9 hours starting around lunch time, while playing yard games all day, what do you like to drink (I already have a bottle of whiskey, so don't say that)? Bells 2 hearted ale sounds like a really good choice, but I'm not 100% sold on the decision yet
Mexican Beer.

Modelo Especial
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the is one of those rare days where there will be no kids, so I need to take advantage of deliciousness. I have some flower power, Summer Love, and Sculpin mixed up for later, but I'm looking for the main course if you will. Founders all day is pretty tasty. I didn't care for the sunshine daydream. Oberon is always a good choice, but I feel like I've been drinking that all summer
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

If I'm drinking all day, I'm probably just getting a case of the cheap stuff. I can't afford to pound the good stuff
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

At Monk's Cafe. Any suggestions?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

On draft: Lost Abbey Devotion (from experience), Russian River Blind Pig (not from experience).