TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: TV Shows

Post by Hockeynut! »

I don't think most of the ideas are King's. He wrote the premiere episode of the second season but I think he's been pretty hands off otherwise.

I don't hate the show but it's pretty clear they're just throwing s**t at the wall to see what sticks. Maybe they're on track now but the entire first season is pretty much null and void by the recent developments.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I'll try and find the interview with King where I read it. He did say that he gave the writers a bunch of his ideas that he tossed away.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

And now I think I am losing my mind....

http://stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/letter.html
Many of the changes wrought by Brian K. Vaughan and his team of writers have been of necessity, and I approved of them wholeheartedly. Some have been occasioned by their plan to keep the Dome in place over Chester’s Mill for months instead of little more than a week, as is the case in the book. Other story modifications are slotting into place because the writers have completely re-imagined the source of the Dome.

That such a re-imagining had to take place was my only serious concern when the series was still in the planning stages, and that concern was purely practical. If the solution to the mystery were the same on TV as in the book, everyone would know it in short order, which would spoil a lot of the fun (besides, plenty of readers didn’t like my solution, anyway). By the same token, it would spoil things if you guys knew the arcs of the characters in advance. Some who die in the book—Angie, for instance—live in the TV version of Chester’s Mill…at least for a while. And some who live in the book may not be as lucky during the run of the show. Just sayin’.
I'm not insane. I did read an interview where he said he had tons of ideas of what was going to happen under the dome but decided against them as he wanted a novel that dealt more with the ants under a glass jar (the people) than other supernatural elements.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I posted that letter at the end of last season, fwiw.

I also agree with you (and said so here) that the solution in the book was a cop out (much the same for 11/22/63). My wife is listening to the book on mp3 so when she gets to the end I'm going to listen to it again to see if I still feel that way.

I don't think we're in huge disagreement here. I think the TV show has taken so many liberties with the material that the core premise is now gone. So with that understood I've been trying to watch Season 2 and treat it as its own seperate undertaking. But even by that criteria the show is bad. A friend of mine compared it to Pretty Little Liars: a decent show that was mostly true to the source material, but found some success and is now wildly off the track to the point it alienates it's core audience.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

started watching parks and rec. Everyone on the show is funny except Amy Pohler, I find her to be an extremely annoying Michael Scott. I've only watched 4 episodes, so hopefully this changes going forward.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Well that is what amy pohler is so it doesnt change. I agree with you except i think michael scott is more annoying. That character is necesary for the show's dynamic though.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Not that I especially care, but the person cast to act opposite Christopher Walken in the live-action musical portrayal of Peter Pan on NBC is...Allison Williams.

Really? I guess nepotism goes a long way.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

eddysnake wrote:started watching parks and rec. Everyone on the show is funny except Amy Pohler, I find her to be an extremely annoying Michael Scott. I've only watched 4 episodes, so hopefully this changes going forward.
I started Parks and Rec as The Office was winding down to get my fix in. Not sure how this upcoming season will go though..
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

So I just noticed that Dr House lives at 221B just like Sherlock Holmes.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

With Psych done, Suits has taken its place as my favorite show on TV and it isn't even close.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Beveridge wrote:With Psych done, Suits has taken its place as my favorite show on TV and it isn't even close.
I'm still sad about Psych
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Ozymandias.

Holy CRAP
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I love Psych. I started watching when it first aired and made it until the end of season four before life got in the way and I couldn't keep up with it anymore. Decided to give it the binge watch treatment and start over from the beginning. Just a fun, silly show.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Froggy wrote:Ozymandias.

Holy CRAP
As I said a few posts above, possibly the finest 47 minutes of television ever produced.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

skullman80 wrote:
Froggy wrote:Ozymandias.

Holy CRAP
As I said a few posts above, possibly the finest 47 minutes of television ever produced.
I'd be hard pressed to argue. My jaw was pretty much on the floor through the whole thing
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

was certainly a fantastic episode. I don't watch very many series like Breaking Bad, but my understanding is normally a series saves the best for last. That was certainly not the case for Breaking Bad.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I'm in the exact same boat as skullman with Breaking Bad. Kinda funny to me, how we timed it up. A couple more days and I will finish the series.

Started watching from season 3 while I was out visiting my brother last week, and have been watching at a rapid pace ever since.

Kinda wish I started watching the show when it first aired.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I'm actually kind of glad I didnt see it when it aired, since I was able to binge through at a rapid pace. Would have driven me nuts between episodes haha.

Kind of like how I am with Sons of Anarchy.. have to wait for the season to start, then wait a week between episodes.. its torture haha.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I liked watching the final season of BB as it happened. Getting caught up in the hype and all the crazy theories was fun.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I definitely feel like watching an entire series in the span of like a month is different. It's good to get that immediate gratification, but the individual episodes don't get a chance to breathe. It makes me wonder if I would have enjoyed the Netflix season of Arrested Development more if I didn't watch them all at once
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Froggy wrote:I definitely feel like watching an entire series in the span of like a month is different. It's good to get that immediate gratification, but the individual episodes don't get a chance to breathe. It makes me wonder if I would have enjoyed the Netflix season of Arrested Development more if I didn't watch them all at once
The answer is no. I watched the first half slowly and the last half quickly. Either way it was a colossal F up.

I actually did the same with breaking bad. Binge watched seasons 1-3, caught up, and watched the rest as it happened. I enjoyed both styles equally.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

The wait between To'hajili (sp?) and Ozymandias was absolutely torturous. I think I walked around all week in a haze because all I could think about was what just happened and wondering (let's be us honest, knowing) what was to come.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Wasn't sure what to expect heading into season 4 of Chuck. About 3 episodes in...not bad.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

So that was Breaking Bad... I am perfectly satisfied with that finale
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Idoit40fans wrote:Well that is what amy pohler is so it doesnt change. I agree with you except i think michael scott is more annoying. That character is necesary for the show's dynamic though.
People pissed and moaned about her character being too dumb in the first season. The writers absolutely went out of their way to correct that, as she appears much more competent (albeit still quirky) at her job moving forward.