Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Post by Idoit40fans »

Kunitz worked well with malkin to. If you're plugging him in to the wrong scenario hes worthless. If youre plugging him in to be a cannonball being fired into the forecheck in support if the rest of his line then he'll open things up for the rest of the line.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Way to take my guy, Kovy. Though it seems like Mikey was taking him anyhow. I'll have my pick over lunch.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Not too worried about that, as he was an effective producer in Anaheim as well, even in his less experienced days. Obviously, he produces more with Crosby. The fact that he can keep up with him mentally and physically is a big plus. Also, he played with Malkin-Neal one year and was part of maybe the league's best line that season. So, production is not an issue in any circumstance, he brings a good amount of grit and two-way play to the table. Two-time champ with a ton of playoff experience. Really great complementary piece in a league-wide scope because he's multi-dimensional. Not just a goal-scorer.

I wouldn't be afraid to go with Kunitz-Getzlaf-Pavelski at all and let Jamie Benn bully people around on the second line, depending on how that line is setup. And if the 2nd line center makes more sense to pair him with, there's really no issue, as he spent time with both Ryan Getzlaf and Andy McDonald as memory serves, both very different players. Like Crosby and Malkin.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

I was shocked to see Blake Wheeler go as late as he did.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I think Blake Wheeler was a very strong pick. He was undersold by the PHWA voters when he voted the 10th best RW in the game last year. There was a strong case for him to be near 5 or 6.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

I was hopeful Brown's poor regular season stats last year would let him drop to my pick. Can play both wings, incredibly physical, great leader. Doesn't need to be a scorer on the Kings, since they're so stacked, but I think he could pick up 30 goals pretty easily in a different situation.

Was also highly considering Edler. Bleh, you guys suck, haha :P
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

we felt like edler was the type of guy that if he didnt have a down year last year, would have gone much earlier. he can do a little bit of everything.

with brown, we needed a little jam and leadership so hes pretty much one of the best options out there
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I was going to comment on Edler...one of the first real instances of a team going after an NHLer who was just ghastly last season and counting on him to improve given his skill set and recent history. With Kovalchuk and Edler going here, perhaps a trend will start on that front. Conversely, maybe with St. Louis and Kunitz going, maybe some older, established vets with fuel left in the tank will be going...or...or...the draft will just keep going like it has been and no strong patterns will develop. It's a very fluid situation. (e5)
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I guess Carolina is my "local" team now. Between Lundqvist and MacKinnon, I can get into that.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Two very unsexy picks from the Seattle contingent: Francois Beauchemin and Paul Martin. Steady Eddy players that don't get a lot of praise, but do a fine job eating up a lot of minutes. Beauchemin was paired this year with rookie [undrafted] and helped make last year a big success for both of them...quietly effective, both of them. Not a ton of puck skills between them. Though Martin is a good three-zone carrier. Beauchemin not quite as mobile as Martin, but is more physical and strong. Both can play their off-side, IIRC too.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Idoit40fans wrote:I guess Carolina is my "local" team now. Between Lundqvist and MacKinnon, I can get into that.
we wont let you down
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

mikey287 wrote:Two very unsexy picks from the Seattle contingent: Francois Beauchemin and Paul Martin. Steady Eddy players that don't get a lot of praise, but do a fine job eating up a lot of minutes. Beauchemin was paired this year with rookie [undrafted] and helped make last year a big success for both of them...quietly effective, both of them. Not a ton of puck skills between them. Though Martin is a good three-zone carrier. Beauchemin not quite as mobile as Martin, but is more physical and strong. Both can play their off-side, IIRC too.
we were between p mart and edler. wanted to buy the upside with edler
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

mikey287 wrote:unsexy...Paul Martin.
wat
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

mikey287 wrote:Two very unsexy picks from the Seattle contingent: Francois Beauchemin and Paul Martin. Steady Eddy players that don't get a lot of praise, but do a fine job eating up a lot of minutes. Beauchemin was paired this year with rookie [undrafted] and helped make last year a big success for both of them...quietly effective, both of them. Not a ton of puck skills between them. Though Martin is a good three-zone carrier. Beauchemin not quite as mobile as Martin, but is more physical and strong. Both can play their off-side, IIRC too.

I was planning on posting this when I got back to the office. Not the 2 sexiest picks, but they can eat minutes, don't look loss in a shutdown role if needed and always seem to have the stick in the right place.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Went maybe a little against the grain and took Kyle Turris. He's really grown leaps and bounds, he has really nice offensive ability and he's really terrific defensively. I noticed him picking up his game in the lockout-shortened season, last year it really percolated...very underrated player who is certainly coming along nicely for Ottawa...

Given the chemistry he had with a particular Senator who is in the Chris Kunitz mold last year, it might be the form of a really nice duo...one might even say it was planned that way...
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

I remember Kyle Turris mainly because he was ridiculously high potential in some of the NHL games (9, 10, 11, etc). Will defer to your judgment on him, though I wonder if he looks good on a bad team.

Had three targets I was looking at, but decided on Jack Johnson. Far & away Columbus's #1 defender, and did a good job against the Pens this past postseason. I think he continues on his great play from this season (after his Olympic snub). Can play all situations, as he's Columbus's leader in on-ice percentage for every single statistic (nearly 40% of 5v5, 70% of PP, 58% of PK). Physical player (182 hits, 128 blocked shots), and also capable offensively as well. Like Erik Johnson, think he'll continue maturing this year into a higher quality & versatile defender this year.

Like Chara, I ultimately thought I couldn't pass on him, whereas my other targets were slight reaches.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I moved an inch or two on JMFJ last year. I still do not think very highly of him as a defenseman. I mentioned him as a possible #6 dman in this draft, which reflects my thoughts on him, I guess.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Yeah, he's polarizing for sure. Thought he had better potential than some of the other defenders left, though. Bit of a high-risk, high-reward pick.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I remember him at the University of Michigan...the best description I could come up with was: "a power forward on defense"

He's kind of whack defensively, below average certainly, but he's mysterious...interesting upside, never quite sure what he's going to do next...
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

My biggest problem is I'm now venturing into unknown territory for a lot of teams. For players like Beauchemin, I remember them from their earlier career, but I haven't seen them play for probably 2+ years now. Same with Edler and even Dustin Brown. I had another person I was planning on picking, but then I realized I've never seen the person play whatsoever. Can't ask you guys for your opinion either. :P Was actually going to send you a PM, Mikey, for your opinion on the player, & would offer to trade pick locations where it benefited you in the next couple rounds, but backed off of that.

With Johnson, I knew what I was getting: a guy with the good physical build for defense, but not the best hockey smarts. I'm hopeful that having Bergeron & Kesler on around the same time (2nd line for defense & offense, respectfully) will cover up his defensive errors & allow him to do his thing. Basically, trying to create a great situation for him.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I honestly didn't think someone would've picked Jack Johnson, period.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

ugh, we've entered into "you're gonna screw up your pick" territory. 3 times I've decided "ok, I'm going to pick this person" and then changed it to someone else.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Avyran wrote:My biggest problem is I'm now venturing into unknown territory for a lot of teams. For players like Beauchemin, I remember them from their earlier career, but I haven't seen them play for probably 2+ years now. Same with Edler and even Dustin Brown. I had another person I was planning on picking, but then I realized I've never seen the person play whatsoever. Can't ask you guys for your opinion either. :P Was actually going to send you a PM, Mikey, for your opinion on the player, & would offer to trade pick locations where it benefited you in the next couple rounds, but backed off of that.

With Johnson, I knew what I was getting: a guy with the good physical build for defense, but not the best hockey smarts. I'm hopeful that having Bergeron & Kesler on around the same time (2nd line for defense & offense, respectfully) will cover up his defensive errors & allow him to do his thing. Basically, trying to create a great situation for him.
It's likely you're going to get my opinion of a player regardless - might as well get it before you pick than after...I would have no problem with that. I would do it free of charge... :lol: Because of how I am with hockey, I'd rather a player be picked in the "correct" spot than throw you off the scent of a player that I want for my own club...or pump the tires of a complete loser like Matt Carkner, David Moss, Chris Butler or any of the other players in line for "worst player in the NHL"
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:ugh, we've entered into "you're gonna screw up your pick" territory. 3 times I've decided "ok, I'm going to pick this person" and then changed it to someone else.
These are tough picks. The selection medium has grown wider...a lot of players in the same tier when you get past ~50 or so. There are three players off the top of my head, maybe two really, that stick out as very strange that they are still out there...let's see if I get a crack at them again...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

There are three or four guys that I'm quite surprised not one of 12 separate people have taken by pick number 90.