TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by columbia »

I watched the first season (three episodes) of "Black Mirror" from the BBC. A bit heavy handed and S1E2 is actually just kind of dumb, but the other two were enjoyably weird.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Staggy wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
Staggy wrote:Crawl Space near the end of season 4 was one of my favorite episodes of the series. I can't believe Cranston didn't win the Emmy with that episode.
Agree on that episode.

I'm on pace to finish the series by the end of this weekend or Monday. I'm through the first 4 episodes of season 5A, probably finish off the last 4 of the 5a tonight, and start 5B tomorrow at some point.

I have to force myself to stop watching. My wife says I'm an addict haha.
I always try to get people that are binge watching it to take a day off in between every episode in the last half season just so they can soak everything. Never works haha
Ended up going out for a while last night, so will end up finishing 5a tonight, got one episode to go. **** got real ... really quick. Then I'll probably space out 5B over the next week or so since I'm back on a normal work schedule and not working nights. Staying up till 3 am or so and getting up at 7 am isn't gonna work haha.

Either way when all is said and done I will have finished off the entire series in just about a month.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hell On Wheels will be back next weekend. Interested to see where the story goes from here.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I managed to not watch the whole last season so im going to start binge watching it soon and then hopefully can binge this one.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

finally finished the office last night. although the last 2 seasons were not up to par with the rest of the series, the final 5 episodes were a fitting end. i found the penultimate episode to be superb. i appreciated wrapping everything up like they did, the michael scott cameo was perfect. the one thing that was weird was the relationship that pam and the boom operator seemed to develop so quickly in the final 10 episodes and then it sort of dissolve. i understand what they were trying to do but it seemed really forced.

thank you to the office :thumb:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Simpsons - Family Guy crossover episode. Looks promising.

[youtube][/youtube]
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

the wicked child wrote:Hell On Wheels will be back next weekend. Interested to see where the story goes from here.
I'm pumped.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

the wicked child wrote:Hell On Wheels will be back next weekend. Interested to see where the story goes from here.
Notice they are marathoning the series on the 1st and 2nd. So I'll finally be able to record the last two eps of season 3 that were deleted before I could watch them!
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Gave in and started watching House of Cards this weekend. Seems pretty good 3 episodes in. Not sure if it will hook me like The Wire or Breaking Bad though. I get the feeling that I am going to hate Frank's wife, as she is already annoying me.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Four episodes to go to finish breaking bad. Holy crap....
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Under The Dome hit a brand new level of cheesey tonight.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

skullman80 wrote:Four episodes to go to finish breaking bad. Holy crap....
I can't believe you paused where you did.

Wait...it's the next one that you won't be able to pause
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

shmenguin wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Four episodes to go to finish breaking bad. Holy crap....
I can't believe you paused where you did.

Wait...it's the next one that you won't be able to pause
I'll probably finish the last 4 tonight. I only planned to watch one episode last night and I watched 4. I only stopped when I did because I would have had to get up to switch out the blu ray disc in the blu ray player... so I just decided to go to bed haha.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

What happened at the end of that episode again? The last 4, I can remember clearly, but not that one.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:What happened at the end of that episode again? The last 4, I can remember clearly, but not that one.
Spoiler:
i think walt calls jack to put a hit out on jesse. it was the only meh episode of the entire season, IIRC
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

shmenguin wrote:
the wicked child wrote:What happened at the end of that episode again? The last 4, I can remember clearly, but not that one.
Spoiler:
i think walt calls jack to put a hit out on jesse. it was the only meh episode of the entire season, IIRC
You are correct that was the episode I stopped after last night.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

You made the right call... I can pretty much guarantee that if you watched the 5th episode, you would have ended up finishing them all.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

The 6th episode of the final season of Breaking Bad was the single best episode of television I've ever seen. I was physically and emotionally drained after watching it. Just riveting stuff.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I can't piece together what happened in what episode of that final season with the exception of the finale. It all has blended into an amazing film memory for me.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:The 6th episode of the final season of Breaking Bad was the single best episode of television I've ever seen. I was physically and emotionally drained after watching it. Just riveting stuff.
It was indeed awesome. However...
Spoiler:
I'm still bitter about the way that they ended episode 5. That was a total FU by VG. Should have ended before the Nazis showed up, IMO. The minute of gunfire with no one hitting anyone was completely unrealistic, especially when the Nazis had the surprise of shooting first.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Started working through Deadwood. I watched it before but in a really distracted setting. Enjoying rewatching it in the comfort of my living room, the dialogue has so many great moments.

Halt and Catch Fire is weird for me. I find myself drawn to the setting and the tech stuff, but I just don't care about the characters at all. I think because the objectives seem to change so much that it doesn't matter what kind of stress they're under because it always works out and when it does work out the objective is arbitrarily changed again. They can't really fail and without that threat it's not compelling. That said, I'm 2 episodes behind so who knows if they'll figure it out. As an AMC standard, it's not as good as Turn let alone some of the really great shows they've put out.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:The 6th episode of the final season of Breaking Bad was the single best episode of television I've ever seen. I was physically and emotionally drained after watching it. Just riveting stuff.
It was indeed awesome. However...
Spoiler:
I'm still bitter about the way that they ended episode 5. That was a total FU by VG. Should have ended before the Nazis showed up, IMO. The minute of gunfire with no one hitting anyone was completely unrealistic, especially when the Nazis had the surprise of shooting first.
it's forgivable for me, since it wasn't really a plot point - just a mechanism to bridge 2 episodes. if you view it like the end of season 3, where it wasn't supposed to be a cliff hanger, and the most obvious outcome was the correct one, it's easy to digest.

i was thinking about the finale last night...
Spoiler:
i really want to believe that the story ended in that car in the snow and everything else was a fantasy. because the more time goes by, the worse the finale was, if it's to be taken at face value.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

dodint wrote:Started working through Deadwood. I watched it before but in a really distracted setting. Enjoying rewatching it in the comfort of my living room, the dialogue has so many great moments.
I was just going to post something about Deadwood. I'm watching it for the first time now, since lots of old HBO shows popped up on Amazon Prime a couple months ago. I love Al Swearengen as a character...he's a real SOB, but also has the civic-mindedness required to actually pull the town together into something more approaching civil society (even if part of his motivation is protecting his own profits)...probably not unlike some of the actual Founding Fathers.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Many of the people, including Al, are based on real people. A lot of liberties were taken to make it interesting, and I haven't done the research to know specifically what the differences were, but many are framed after real individuals.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

dodint wrote:Many of the people, including Al, are based on real people. A lot of liberties were taken to make it interesting, and I haven't done the research to know specifically what the differences were, but many are framed after real individuals.
Interesting. I knew that was the case with Hickock and his crew, obviously, but I didn't some of the other characters were based on real historical figures.