George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by the wicked child »

I wonder if Alex Graves was left out this season due to the rape scene debacle. It seemed that he was either completely unaware that he had just filmed a rape scene, or was in total cover-up mode.

I can understand D&D not directing as they are probably super busy otherwise. It is interesting that instead of being distributed throughout the season, each director is doing back to back episodes. Hopefully that doesn't end up feeling like 5 two hour movies as a result.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Has anyone summarized each POV chapters to a tweet? It would be tough but you could probably get the gist of each chapter in 140 characters.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

So HBO released this video showing new cast members for Season 5. I'll place it inside of a spoiler tag for anyone that doesn't want to be spoiled.
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
I'm not sure if this is *ALL* of the new characters or not.
Spoiler:
If this IS indeed all of the new characters... that would mean that Arianne, all of the Greyjoy uncles, "Griff", "Young Griff" and Quentyn were all cut... which would be somewhat concerning to say the least.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I shouldn't have subscribed to ASOIAF on reddit. The theories.... My god, the theories...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Good? Bad? Absurd? All of the above?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Good? Bad? Absurd? All of the above?
Yes
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Haha yeah. Some theories make sense, but people are kind of out of control too... Not every single character has a part in some grand conspiracy. If anyone reads Sean T Collins' "All Leather Must Be Boiled" blog, he has some colorful words to describe his base approach to these theories. Not gonna link directly because it's generally chock full of NSFW gifs... many of which are worth viewing the site for on their own, however. :pop:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Jonathan Pryce as High Sparrow. Yessssss
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Doctor Bashir!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

So I missed this nugget during the casting news...
Spoiler:
http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/25/ne ... announced/
Trystane Martell is Prince Doran’s son and heir to Dorne. His father betrothed him to Myrcella Baratheon as part of the alliance offered by Tywin Lannister, then Hand of the King.
lolwut. Definitely doesn't sound good for Quentyn and Arianne.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Quentyn's storyi s the worst. I guess they'll merge it with this dude.

This is an awful lot of dorne with no payoff story wise.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

As a non-book reader, I don't know who any of the new characters are or anything about the characters who are seemingly left out, but I'm on the side of introducing as few new characters as possible to the show from here on out. The show runners have said they only want to do 7 seasons, 8 max. So, assuming the final season is dedicated to some huge war between the humans and the ice zombies (that's where this has to be going, right?), that leaves only two seasons to get all of the pieces in place for that. Season 4 ended with things in such disarray that I would hope they start working on pulling things back together in the next season to set up the final confrontation, not adding more story lines that need to be wrapped up before the end.

Again, as I've mentioned a couple times in this thread, I'm scarred by the experience of reading Jordan's Wheel of Time series and don't want the same thing to happen the GoT show (Martin can do what he wants in the books...I'm not getting sucked into reading those until they're all complete).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I'm definitely concerned about whether or not Martin will ever actually finish the books. That said, there are some areas of the story that really can't be left out... I mean there is an entire region of Westeros that had only been mentioned in passing in S1-3, and that we saw characters from for the first time in S4.

My guess is that they are combining several of the characters based on the descriptions of the roles, and leaving some things out. I realize they can't include everything (and really, I'm kinda glad cuz there is definitely some filler)... but my concern stems from the fact that they may be doing a lot of "inventing" in regards to certain story lines based on the casting, and the show has generally been at its worst when they stray completely from the books.

A *LOT* of characters died in season 4 though... so adding some new characters is inevitable.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I guess what I am trying to say is that while I am all for "streamlining" some aspects of the story, I don't really want to watch a bunch of made up tripe in its place.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:Quentyn's storyi s the worst. I guess they'll merge it with this dude.

What if...
Spoiler:
They get rid of the entire Griff story line and use Dorne rising up instead and completely change the book? That would require Tyrion skipping the whole ride down the river and have him get picked up by Jorah right after the ship he's on docks in wherever, probably Volantis?
Then again...
Spoiler:
We have no good idea what Dorne is going to do, last we left Quentyn is dead and the sand snakes are infiltrating King's Landing.They could take a big part in rising up with Aegon.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Quentyn's storyi s the worst. I guess they'll merge it with this dude.

What if...
Spoiler:
They get rid of the entire Griff story line and use Dorne rising up instead and completely change the book? That would require Tyrion skipping the whole ride down the river and have him get picked up by Jorah right after the ship he's on docks in wherever, probably Volantis?
Then again...
Spoiler:
We have no good idea what Dorne is going to do, last we left Quentyn is dead and the sand snakes are infiltrating King's Landing.They could take a big part in rising up with Aegon.
Note: TWOW spoiler so click at your own risk.
Spoiler:
I believe I linked to the Meereenese Blot awhile back... in one of the essays, they refer to some Arianne content that Martin read at a convention. It sounds like Doran sends her to try to hook up with Aegon.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I've seen a lot of crazy stuff come out of some fan's mouths, but this one regarding casting really bothers me...
Spoiler:
I actually saw someone complaining that the actor cast for Areo Hotah was black, insisting that HBO is racist and just wanted to try to add a minority character. Is it 2014 or 1814? I never even thought about the color of the skin of the actor since... it really doesn't matter. But that's just me.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:I've seen a lot of crazy stuff come out of some fan's mouths, but this one regarding casting really bothers me...
Spoiler:
I actually saw someone complaining that the actor cast for Areo Hotah was black, insisting that HBO is racist and just wanted to try to add a minority character. Is it 2014 or 1814? I never even thought about the color of the skin of the actor since... it really doesn't matter. But that's just me.
It's a valid point...
Spoiler:
Hotah is from the northern part of Essos and is not black, I get combining and changing up some characters but this is a big change from the source.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I've seen a lot of crazy stuff come out of some fan's mouths, but this one regarding casting really bothers me...
Spoiler:
It's a valid point...
Spoiler:
Hotah is from the northern part of Essos and is not black, I get combining and changing up some characters but this is a big change from the source.
Spoiler:
Hotah is not black in the books. However, does it really matter? Does this impact his character in any manner? I would say no.

And my complaint isn't with the person complaining that the actor doesn't match the book, that's happened ad naseum throughout the show's lifespan. They are stating that HBO is racist and only cast this actor BECAUSE he was black. THAT pisses me off. There is no evidence whatsoever that this was the case, so to go on major tirades against HBO over it is pretty weak, IMO.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

It doesnt matter for that character. Should not be a big deal.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

Tyrion isnt as good looking in the books either, which creates a way bigger gap in the narrative than some guy being black.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Kaizer wrote:Tyrion isnt as good looking in the books either, which creates a way bigger gap in the narrative than some guy being black.
That's the biggest change by far. But the show would have never made it past the first season without Dinklage so no one complains.

Make Hotah from the summer isles, fine. Whoopdedoo. I don't care about Dorne.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Mallister actor dies 4 days into shooting.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/game-thrones- ... 11049.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It seems a little strange that they aren't planning to recast him, so I assume that he didn't play too major of a role in things. I couldn't remember what he did in the books, so I had to look it up... doesn't seem like a deal breaker necessarily, but hopefully it won't be awkward that he's only around for a few scenes.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:It seems a little strange that they aren't planning to recast him, so I assume that he didn't play too major of a role in things. I couldn't remember what he did in the books, so I had to look it up... doesn't seem like a deal breaker necessarily, but hopefully it won't be awkward that he's only around for a few scenes.
I though they misplelled Allisar referring to Thorne until I looked up the actor. Seems like he just replaced Aemon who is already gone with Sam in thre show, right?

But if...
Spoiler:
They already filmed the election they can write him out, all he served as was another person to split the vote until John was elected, he does nothing after that, didn't recall him at all in Feast or Dance since there is still a bit of Storm not yet done in the show in regards to the wall.