GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by PensFanInDC »

I think I'm about to go into a stout phase. I went to IPAs from stouts and then to wheats and now it feels like stouts and some porters.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

PensFanInDC wrote:I think I'm about to go into a stout phase. I went to IPAs from stouts and then to wheats and now it feels like stouts and some porters.
I've have a few west coast stouts that are really drinkable... nice malt flavor with a big floral hop finish.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Wow. Took a stroll through the Shaler Giant Eagle this morning. Depressing way to start the day. Tons of empty shelf space. Randy is missed.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Kraftster wrote:Wow. Took a stroll through the Shaler Giant Eagle this morning. Depressing way to start the day. Tons of empty shelf space. Randy is missed.

MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Also...F this fascination with IPAs. I like a good IPA but my God does every other beer at the store have to be one? Its like hot sauce. I like spicy but I want to taste the peppers, not burn myself. Like hops. I want the bitterness but I also want to taste the beer.
I think IPAs have made a change in the last five years or so. There are definitely more on the market, but most don't seem to over the top bitter hop types.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Busted out a Fantome Dark White for carne asada tonight. Fantomes are something else. That unmistakable Fantome smokiness popped up as it warmed. Bizarre yet appealing.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

18 of the most overrated beers, according to some random guy on deadspin
Miller High Life: Way too many otherwise tasteful people regard this as the cream of the ****-brew crop. It's not. High Life is markedly inferior to Pabst Blue Ribbon and Schlitz.

Blue Moon: Most mildly engaged beer-drinkers realize that ShockTop is Anheuser-Busch's crass attempt to jack craft beer's momentum, but for some reason Coors's Blue Moon hustle flies under the radar. Of course a beer isn't bad or overrated just because it's brewed by an international conglomerate, but Blue Moon is one of the worst wheat beers around and is therefore wholly undeserving of its market share. It's not that hard to find Hoegaarden, Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen, or Allagash White these days. There's no excuse to drink Blue Moon.

Killian's Red: Another **** Coors joint. Drink Smithwick's or, better yet, O'Hara's Red.

Heineken: One of my favorite lies is that I don't judge people by what they drink, but the truth is I have a hard time respecting anyone I see holding this skunky pinkie ring of a beer.

Yuengling.

Corona: Always skunked, maybe even intentionally. It's not a great sign when your beer is customarily served with a lime to hide the flavor. If you like lime in your beer, that's cool (and weird), but in that case, you're better off just drinking the cheapest thing you can find.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale: This was one of the most disappointing things I've tried in the past several years. You can get all sorts of barrel-aged beers these days—KelSo recently put out a really nice Jameson-barrel IPA, for instance—so there's no reason to settle for this erstwhile novelty. It tastes like generic strong ale overdosed with vanilla.

Heady Topper and all the other wait-in-line double IPAs: Double IPAs are so expensive to make (and therefore to buy) that there aren't too many bad ones on the market. I love Heady Topper, and I get excited every time one of my beer-obsessive friends tosses one my way, but I can't justify waiting around all morning outside a middle-of-nowhere brewery for the privilege of buying something that's only marginally better than Dogfish Head 90 Minute, which you can buy on friggin' Amtrak.

Stella Artois: This is clearly just Belgium **** with us. Stella Artois has to be the very worst beer they make.

Bass Ale: This only still exists because stupid black and tans do.

Magic Hat #9: Vermont's first nationally prominent brewery seems to be more interested in marketing than brewing these days, and it's high time for their apricot flagship to go away. I'll **** with fruit beer—I love 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon, and even have a soft spot for the unremarkable Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat—but #9's popularity far outstrips its quality.

Your local brewery's flagship: In most cases, the beer that put a brewery on the map way back when—even if way back when was two years ago—has since been surpassed in-house. They may need to keep the sales workhorse around to keep the ship afloat, but the brewers themselves know that they've gotten better at their craft since creating that first hit recipe. (Samuel Adams Boston Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are notable exceptions to this rule, which applies most heavily to smaller operations.)

North Coast Old Rasputin: Imperial stouts from high-end breweries are similar to double IPAs in that they're almost all very good. And Old Rasputin, from the redoubtable producer of America's finest pilsner, is awesome. But it's not as transcendent as its reputation suggests.

Anchor Steam: Hey man, I'm not any happier about this than you are. I like Anchor Porter and California Lager, but the Steam isn't very good. It's too malty and musty, and it bores my poor tongue to death.

Rolling Rock: Rolling Rock, which sucks real bad, has a strange little mystique around it for some reason. Can anyone explain why a large segment of the Pennsylvanian diaspora considers this to be the ultimate good-time juice?

Red Stripe: This is just a Jamaican marketing hustle. I'm told Harvard students fall for it in alarming numbers. Suckers. Red Stripe isn't even good for Caribbean beer. You want to get all islandic, drink yourself some Prestige (Haitian) or Presidente (Dominican).

Moosehead: Canadian Red Stripe.

Shiner Bock: Shiner is reputed to make some very good beers, but I've only had the much-heralded Bock, which is musty and dirty. Sure, **** it: Texan Red Stripe.

OK, so that settles that. Time to ban me from Pennsylvania, fight about Bell's amongst yourselves, and point out anything I've missed.
The reason behind Blue Moon being on the list is ridiculous. You're gonna say Blue Moon is overrated because it's made by Big Evil Beer, but you're gonna give props to Widmer Brothers? I'm afraid I've got some bad news: Widmer's majority ownership is.....Anheuser Busch.

Without even knowing what the local flagship beer is does not constitute a reason to hate it. Just terrible logic in that one.

The Magic Hat #9 hate sounds like pure hipster BS. It was good before it was popular. Now because they market it, it's time to go away? :face:

In one breath he says that Old Rasputin is awesome, but it's also not transcendent. So which one is it?

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/18-ove ... 092735/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Widmer Bros isn't even a Hefeweizen. It tastes like Heineken. Not even close to Blue Moon.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

he qualifies the blue moon and magic hat inclusions by pointing out how terrible they are. and he's correct.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

i've only had magic hat once, last summer and thought it was disgusting.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Do yinzers even drink rolling rock anymore?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Do yinzers even drink rolling rock anymore?
I haven't had one since I left Pittsburgh and that was 15 years ago.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

RR on a 90 degree day hits the spot. Other than that, I can't imagine ordering one at a bar or something.

IMO: Magic Hat sucks. I refuse to drink it. Blue Moon is passable. Old Rasputin is excellent. I've never seen someone order a Killian's Red in my life.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My father tends to buy fake microbrews, so I think that's the only time I've ever had a Kilian's.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Ryans in regent square has a neon sign for killians but kenny the kangaroo does not believe it is actually available in the bar. Mystifying.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I like Ryans Pub....authentically yinzer, without being too yinzer.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

As far as I'm concerned, Killian's Red does not even exist.

And no, I will not be dissuaded by the purchase and consumption of a Killian's Red. - Pags
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

shmenguin wrote:he qualifies the blue moon and magic hat inclusions by pointing out how terrible they are. and he's correct.
Yes he is. Magic Hat is far more interested in marketing now than making good beer. They used to make very good beer and #9 was a novelty. Then #9 became marketable on a national scale and they went away from making solid beer.

The one that irks me is Heady Topper. It's a sensational beer. While you may have to wait at times to get it, you can also just go into one of the places the distribute and get it fairly easily, at a coat that isn't that excessive.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I am glad to see Stella Artois on this list. My opinion of this beer is that it's the most average beer on the planet. There isn't a single thing about it that's remarkable. But it's presented and sold as a premium beer, which it just isn't.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

JS© wrote:
The reason behind Blue Moon being on the list is ridiculous. You're gonna say Blue Moon is overrated because it's made by Big Evil Beer, but you're gonna give props to Widmer Brothers? I'm afraid I've got some bad news: Widmer's majority ownership is.....Anheuser Busch.
Exactly. If one of your points for disliking a beer is it's owned by big Evil Brewery, man up and admit a beer you like is brewed by a big Evil brewery.

I drink Yuengling, I have no problem with it.

I don't drink anything else on the the list, though.

EDIT: Local brewery flagship beer. This is just a silly comment. Guy sounds like a wanne be beer elistist.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I'm glad to see most people agree with my opinion of Magic Hat. Crappy beer from a brewery that just tries way too hard.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I feel vindicated that I've never tried one of their beers.

Honestly, I've never paid any attention to them, but thanks for the collective tips to stay away.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Perfect example:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/magic-hat-hicu/211354/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perfect form with a smooth, malty opening line followed by a crisp, citrusy hop-filled second stanza. The final piece of its poetic existence is a dash of cool cucumber combined with the slightest of hibiscus tangs.
Seriously, **** you Magic Hat
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Too clever for their own good?
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Froggy wrote:I am glad to see Stella Artois on this list. My opinion of this beer is that it's the most average beer on the planet. There isn't a single thing about it that's remarkable. But it's presented and sold as a premium beer, which it just isn't.
I'll second that. The beer is just very average, it'll do in a pinch but if it goes away tomorrow I wouldn't miss it