Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Pavel Bure wrote:Also from a purely fantasy stand point center is a very deep position... I find myself thinking of the Ducks cup team.

Their #1 center was what Macdonald? Getzlaf was a rookie, same with Perry. The real strength of that team was 2 Norris winning d-men, a shutdown 3rd line, and Giguere in his prime.

IMO you don't need a Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. to win a cup. One Norris caliber and playoff MVP d-man is arguably a bigger piece than a big time center.
I think its 50/50 for Hart contending center (maybe winger) vs Norris contending dman. Recent cup winners have both in the top 10 except Boston in '10 with no center, us in '09 with no dman and the Kings in '12 with neither.

Inherent problem with a salrary cap league and emphasis on offense is that star forwards get more money than star dmen for the most part and it hurts depth. Thankfully we don't have to worry hah
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Round 1: Norris d-man
Round 2: Norris d-man
Round 3: Seguin, Benn, E. Staal, Oshie, Pavelski, Landaskog, etc. lots of depth if teams want to build on the backend first.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

I was thinking about building a Chara-Doughty pairing because who the **** would score on that tandem but no way could I pass on Malkin at 4, even if Doughty was available.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

That Doughty pick hurt my heart.

If both of my choices for my double pick get taken I might sell my team.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

... well darn, that was my pick. Both of my picks (Doughty & Weber) went much earlier than expected. Hmm... will need some time to rethink this.

Might be willing to trade down if the price is worth it, in case anyone really wants this pick / player on the board. Would require some compensation in the next round.
Last edited by Avyran on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Doughty is 2nd best. Maybe 3rd. Good year for sure. He win cup on cup winning team.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Kovy27 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I'd say it's closer than the HF standby "AINEC" (and it's not even close), but I'd prefer to continue this discussion when a few other d-men are taken...in the spirit of not being influential (any of us) from the peanut gallery...there's another Campbell Conference player that deserves some serious praise too...
I'm 100% sure that I know who you are talking about...
He's on the big board now. First he was a touch overrated, as Ryan Suter handled all of his mistakes. Then a couple years back, he really turned the corner defensively, really matured on that front in my opinion. And for me, he's got a legit claim to the thorny crown. Both this year and last.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

mikey287 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I'd say it's closer than the HF standby "AINEC" (and it's not even close), but I'd prefer to continue this discussion when a few other d-men are taken...in the spirit of not being influential (any of us) from the peanut gallery...there's another Campbell Conference player that deserves some serious praise too...
I'm 100% sure that I know who you are talking about...
He's on the big board now. First he was a touch overrated, as Ryan Suter handled all of his mistakes. Then a couple years back, he really turned the corner defensively, really matured on that front in my opinion. And for me, he's got a legit claim to the thorny crown. Both this year and last.
Welp, there went my pick. Son of a...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Surprised by a few picks. Carry on.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

meow wrote:Surprised by a few picks. Carry on.
Team building can influence some picks, as you saw firsthand in the Penguins All-Time Draft a couple years ago...

I was going to bump that to discuss it, but I want to wait for a couple posters to go back to school or otherwise get their walking papers, as the work of the group should not be derided...it was a terrific effort...
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

pcm wrote:He win cup on cup winning team.
K. Da. $.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Shea Weber? Wow. I didn't get to see a whole lot of hockey last year, so maybe Weber matured a bit last year, but dang. That's a surprising pick.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I would have thought if someone severely reached on him, it woulx have been kovy.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Los Angeles Kings, you are on the clock...
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

I know, was rethinking what I wanted to do. Like I was, I was going to go with both Doughty & Weber. Will make my choice now.

Made that selection based off of a couple things: 1) I now have my captain; 2) I have one of my main faceoff guys; 3) I have a player who is clutch in the playoffs; 4) I have a Selke winner as well. I feel it MAY have been reaching a little bit (just like Doughty & Weber), but I think he's a first-round selection ultimately.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Datsyuk may be a bit of a reach, but I love his play and I love the pick.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

In the one year format, I don't really have a problem with Datsyuk in the 1st round.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Oh, I should've read the fine print.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

dodint wrote:That Doughty pick hurt my heart.

Any takers? :twisted:
Spoiler:
Honestly, if someone really wanted to play and didn't get the chance I'd give them the Hurricanes. It sounds like whiney crap, but I've almost exclusively picked last in FFball for years and my annoyance with it won't let me really enjoy this as much as I could have. If someone that wanted to play badly is okay with waiting forever and then having to make two picks at once over and over again, I'll let them have their fun. Again, it sounds like whinging but once I make the first pick I'll see it through, so again, if someone really wanted in and missed the cut here is your in.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'm surprised to see Datsyuk go this early, plain and simple. In 2009/2010/2011, sure...but I'm pretty sure - for me, personally - he's not even the best Red Wing on the board...he's not a bad player by any stretch of course...but the tires are wearing a little thin, in my opinion...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

LITT and I were really hankerin' for a team if you really want to dip out.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

dodint wrote:
dodint wrote:That Doughty pick hurt my heart.

Any takers? :twisted:
Spoiler:
Honestly, if someone really wanted to play and didn't get the chance I'd give them the Hurricanes. It sounds like whiney crap, but I've almost exclusively picked last in FFball for years and my annoyance with it won't let me really enjoy this as much as I could have. If someone that wanted to play badly is okay with waiting forever and then having to make two picks at once over and over again, I'll let them have their fun. Again, it sounds like whinging but once I make the first pick I'll see it through, so again, if someone really wanted in and missed the cut here is your in.
CC: LITT, Kraftster, etc.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I know this is a one season thing but I agree with mikey, Datsyuk is a little out of his prime. That's a big reason why I went with Tavares, since I know the league is going to fold I can play him high minutes without worrying about his future.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Dodint, want to trade draft placement? I'd be fine being last. Also would be fine with someone else jumping in, no worries either way.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Nah, I'm good. I think it's like 3 picks away now. Just got my workstation back at work (11am on Friday, why not?) which was gone all week so this is the first time I've really looked at any of this other than checking in on my phone. I'm happy to play, was just offering up to someone that might be thrilled to play. ;) Have to go make a new list of names since mine were already scooped up.