GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Pitt87 »

Good advice... thanks!
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Pitt87 wrote:Finally replaced the fridge in my kitchen, and now have all the materials for a two-tap kegerator, save for one... CO2. Anyone know where I might get a tank filled?

For our maiden voyage, we'll be pouring Green Flash WCIPA, and GL Dortmunder Gold... I have the lines cut & measured to fill growlers, so definitely invite me over... :fist:
I know colonial beer in Bethel Park fills and exchanges CO2 tanks.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

cool article on sours:

http://www.beersyndicate.com/blog/sour- ... nt-happen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Has anyone been the pub at full pint brewing on Lincoln Highway? It's been a bit since I've had any of their beers (and I remember them all being OK), and I just realized that it's not far from the in-laws. What's it like in there?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I had one of the Cantillons pictured in that article. Pretty amazing stuff.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

eddysnake wrote:Has anyone been the pub at full pint brewing on Lincoln Highway? It's been a bit since I've had any of their beers (and I remember them all being OK), and I just realized that it's not far from the in-laws. What's it like in there?
It's been about a year since i've been. Warehouse with a big overly lit drinking space, about $4 for a draft I think. I think they've since made it more of a pub, but it's just an open space in a warehouse that is more arranged as a pub as opposed to being remodeled as a pub. They apparantly serve pizza there now.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

So, I finally met the infamous Randy at my Market District.

I asked if he would be getting any more Fleur de Houblon. He said no, it didn't sell. He half jokingly said I was the only person to buy it.

He said next month he'd be getting Hop House. Which made me happy. He also told me Ommegang gives him migraines. He said he thought it was the type of yeast they used. He said he likes Ommegang. Just can't drink it.

I asked him to recommend something new. Based on me liking Ommegang, he recommended Westmalle Dubble and Triple. He said Westmalle was the first brewery to produce a triple.

I went with the Dubble. I plan to drink it tonight.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Kraftster is jelly.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

The Westmalle's aren't bad. I preferred the dubble to the trippel, at least in terms of quality of said style. The trippel was good, but unless you give me something fantastic like la Fin Du Monde (and maybe even instead of that), I would prefer to fall back to Delirium in terms of that style.

Also, Hop House is good, but Fleur is better. People don't know what they were missing out on if they didn't buy it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Hop House isn't as good as Fleur, but it's still good. I like it.

I love Fin Du Monde, but I wanted to try something new.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I hear ya. Just stating my feelings on said beers. :)

I mean I still try new trippels when given the chance, but it often ends up being disappointing... similarly with non-German hefeweizens.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

the wicked child wrote:I hear ya. Just stating my feelings on said beers. :)

I mean I still try new trippels when given the chance, but it often ends up being disappointing... similarly with non-German hefeweizens.
Well, I played it safe and went with the Dubble. LOL
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Flying Dog, Sierra Nevada, & Troegg's all have acceptable non German hefes
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Froggy wrote:

Flying Dog, Sierra Nevada, & Troegg's all have acceptable non German hefes
Yeah, I didn't say they all suck... but I end up disappointed more often than not.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

llipgh2 wrote:So, I finally met the infamous Randy at my Market District.

I asked if he would be getting any more Fleur de Houblon. He said no, it didn't sell. He half jokingly said I was the only person to buy it.

He said next month he'd be getting Hop House. Which made me happy. He also told me Ommegang gives him migraines. He said he thought it was the type of yeast they used. He said he likes Ommegang. Just can't drink it.

I asked him to recommend something new. Based on me liking Ommegang, he recommended Westmalle Dubble and Triple. He said Westmalle was the first brewery to produce a triple.

Sigh...the good ole days.

He recommended Westmalle dub to me, too. Did like.

Also in that realm is Kasteel Donker, which you might also enjoy if the Westmalle works. Got some sweet, some mellow... So basically, a little from column A, a little from column B.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

I know taste is subjective, but I'll take the Trappist tripel over a bastardized North American version of the same style. Similar to what was said on Hefeweizen; the Belgians brew the style better; similar to lambics, geueuze, and saison there is no match in this continent for tripels.

Personally, anything unibroue does is matched by a Belgian brewery. I don't find their beers comparable to their Belgian counterparts.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I don't completely disagree... but I've had plenty of Belgian Trippels @ Sharpedge that were meh as well. Delirium is still my favorite trippel of all the ones I've tried. LFDM is the best NA one I've had though.

Hoegaarden is still my favorite Wit, and it's not really even close. There are some good American offerings in the style, but they are usually a notch or more below.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

llipgh2 wrote:So, I finally met the infamous Randy at my Market District.

Ha, yeah, I remember talking to Randy about the Ommegang headaches he gets. Sigh.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I have not had the Hop House, but I definitely enjoy the Fleur de Houblon. I just had it on draft the other night at Emporio. They had that and two saisons there, so I was pretty happy. Actually the first time I had the Stone saison. It was above average.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

the wicked child wrote:I don't completely disagree... but I've had plenty of Belgian Trippels @ Sharpedge that were meh as well. Delirium is still my favorite trippel of all the ones I've tried. LFDM is the best NA one I've had though.

Hoegaarden is still my favorite Wit, and it's not really even close. There are some good American offerings in the style, but they are usually a notch or more below.
Fair enough.

Agreed on wits; so many micros brew them here in the states and they're just not that good.

Look at gose, an old German sour wheat. It's all the rage in the states nowadays. Some exceptional examples are being brewed, but I'd be curious to compare them to their German counterparts. Who'd of thought a sour, salty beer would be all the rage.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Speaking of Ommegang and Dubbels, they had a Valar Morghulis tasting event @ SDCC (with a surprise bartender - Pedro Pascal). I'm definitely looking forward to this when it is released in the fall.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

UVM2003 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I don't completely disagree... but I've had plenty of Belgian Trippels @ Sharpedge that were meh as well. Delirium is still my favorite trippel of all the ones I've tried. LFDM is the best NA one I've had though.

Fair enough.

Agreed on wits; so many micros brew them here in the states and they're just not that good.

Look at gose, an old German sour wheat. It's all the rage in the states nowadays. Some exceptional examples are being brewed, but I'd be curious to compare them to their German counterparts. Who'd of thought a sour, salty beer would be all the rage.
UFO unfiltered wheat is pretty good. Drinking one now.

Also...F this fascination with IPAs. I like a good IPA but my God does every other beer at the store have to be one? Its like hot sauce. I like spicy but I want to taste the peppers, not burn myself. Like hops. I want the bitterness but I also want to taste the beer.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I'm not really a fan of the Harpoon wheat beers. The Raspberry Hefe isn't bad, but it's more of a fruit beer than a hefe to be sure. The UFO White is ok, their hefe is pretty bad.

Their IPA is pretty solid. Love the Belgian Pale Ale. They have a mean Munich Dark lager as well.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Harpoon's chocolate stout is fairly good. I think that may only be a winter beer though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yeah, that is fairly solid. I'm not much of a stout guy (hate the coffee taste they generally have), but I enjoyed it when I got the variety pack a couple years ago that had that.