Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: The NHL has contracted! Dispersal Draft (game) - FULL

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

My assistant GM position has been filled by MalkinIsMyHomeboy
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Can someone move their team to atlanta?
dey soff
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by dey soff »

Shocked no one chose the Kansas City Penguins.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Information:

Not too much to say here, this should be pretty straightforward. Your job is to draft the best team to compete during the 2014-15 NHL season.

- There is no salary cap. (Well, let's pool the total cap figure and re-distribute that to 12 teams...that's a $172,500,000 cap, or $7.5 mil per player on a 23-man roster...if you can hit that, you win...). Once again, there is no cap.

- There is no future. After one year, the league will fold...mainly because we have to travel to Russia and Iceland regularly.

- Trades are permitted, but let's not go nuts. I'll approve all trades, but I doubt anyone is going to hose themselves in a deal...25 rounds. 23 players, draft a coach and one other figure...I'd recommend an assistant coach.

- As a general rule, keep discussing undrafted players to a minimum. Surely, state your case for why you drafted your player. Feel free to constructively comment..."this guy's vision and poise are excellent" - "meh, not really a big fan of this guy so high because he's not a very good skater for this level of play and his puck-moving leaves something to be desired..." Whatever.

- 12 hour clock to make selections. I don't believe we have any international participants (Gaucho...), so it will run on normal, American time, which is Eastern. So the clock is on from 8 am to 12 am. Feel free to make picks and continue the draft outside of that window. But if someone's clock starts at 9:00 pm, it's not the most prudent thing in the world to have them be expected to pick by 9:00 am. So, in this scenario, they would lose 3 hours of it from 9 to midnight. But their time for the pick would not be up until 5 pm the next day. Ample time. And if you get passed over, just sneak your pick in whenever. You will not be auto-assigned a player.

- Any kind of team can be a winning team. Even Team Canada doesn't roll out an offensive juggernaut...Rob Zamuner, Shayne Corson, Kris Draper, they have all made olympic clubs. If you want to be an offensive juggernaut, by all means. If you want a lockdown defensive unit that spends most of its energy dumping 50-pound bags of sand on the rink every shift, by all means. You will be expected to make your case for your team at the end of this! Be prepared or you will likely lose!

- Season: We will have two divisions of 6. We will have a vote here on the board to decide the standings. Following the season, we will have a playoffs. Where we have some more discussion about what makes our team better or what have you. Then we will have an internal vote on that.

Questions to consider while we're in discussion:

1. Open regular season standings voting to public? Yes or No. (meaning, not just GMs and AGMs can vote)
2. All teams make the playoffs? Yes or No. (All 12 make it. Or, 8 of 12 make it)
3. Playoff series voting open to public? (meaning, not just GMs and AGMs can vote)

Draft order: (courtesy random.org)
1. meow (St. Louis Blues)
2. JS(C) (Columbus Blue Jackets)
3. SolidSnake (New York Rangers)
4. Staggy (Toronto Maple Leafs)
5. MalkinIsMyHomeboy (Team Iceland)
6. pcm (Metallurg Magnitogorsk)
7. Avyran (Los Angeles Kings)
8. count2infinity/MRandall25 (California Golden Seals)
9. Kovy27 (Hartford Whalers)
10. mikey287 (Montreal Canadiens)
11. Beveridge (Seattle Totems)
12. dodint (Carolina Hurricanes)

Foster Hewitt Division:
Hartford
Iceland
Los Angeles
New York
St. Louis
Seattle

Danny Gallivan Division:
California
Carolina
Columbus
Magnitogorsk
Montreal
Toronto

The clock will officially begin at 8 am EDT tomorrow. But feel free to pick in the meantime...any questions, feel free to post/PM...probably a good idea to PM next in line for rapidity...above all, have fun. Meow and the St. Louis Blues are first...I'm going to try to stuff the draft order into the first post, I'm going to start working on that now...it's a serpentine draft, of course...
Last edited by mikey287 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Draft order is in post #1.

Meow and St. Louis are up.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Dispersal Draft Game - Draft/Discussion Thread - Round 1

Post by count2infinity »

As far as the questions are concerned:
1. Open it up to everyone
2. 8 teams make it
3. Open to everyone until the finals at which point just GMs

additionally, it may be easier as far as tracking things goes to have a "picks only" thread and keep this a discussion thread.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Post by mikey287 »

Noted. Done. Thank you. Picks go here: http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... =6&t=64409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Last, just like fantasy football. Wonderful.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Nicely done. Should be fun. Metallurg is #1.

Probably should limit playoffs to 8 teams for simplicity. Public head to head voting should be fun. Reg season rankings might be a little too much information for people not involved to really digest and assess, so I would say keep reg season rankings closed voting. Though could also sollict votes from non-participants who really want to follow along and particpate in the discussions, etc.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Bleh, I wanted #1 or #12 spot, haha. I like drafting twice.

This'll be fun. If someone else wants to help me with the team, I'd be happy to have another GM or something.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Avyran wrote:Bleh, I wanted #1 or #12 spot, haha. I like drafting twice.

This'll be fun. If someone else wants to help me with the team, I'd be happy to have another GM or something.
Maybe dodint will swap all of his picks for all of yours...#seenitdonebefore
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

meow has chosen.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Willing to trade pick 5 for pick 2
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Dang, sorry to have missed this. Will be fun to follow.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Kraftster wrote:Dang, sorry to have missed this. Will be fun to follow.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

If one of you guys want to do assistant GM with me, you can get in on it. I'm just looking to have some fun with this so the wealth can be shared.

I don't think Mikey will have an issue since it just started and only one pick has been made.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Please, feel free to add assistant GMs at your leisure. Just please report it here so I can have record of it.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Same as Beveridge; I'd be happy to share a team / do some more discussion with other folks.

Just not revealing my strategy publicly as of yet so I have a better chance of snagging up some people, haha.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

BREAKING NEWS: Assistant GM MalkinIsMyHomeboy fired for making unsavory comments towards the horribly ugly Scott Hartnell. This means that the position is now open. First person to PM MIMH will be given the position.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

The Toronto Maple Leafs are also looking for an Assistant GM, with a strong possibility the candidate will be promoted to co-GM. With the 4th pick in the draft, we're confident we'll be getting a cornerstone piece that will help lead us to a championship!

But really, I just think it will be extrememly helpful for us to bounce ideas off each other so we have more than one perspective on how to build the team. And I'm going to start running out of players I know to pick in the later rounds.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

BREAKING NEWS into the Eklund News Center: The Hartford Whalers may have hired Pierre McGuire(50%) to be their next head coach. He is also hearing that they may have hired Dan Bylsma (20%), Eddie O(15%), or might trade for Mike Babcock(e5). More details to follow.....
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Kovy27 wrote:BREAKING NEWS into the Eklund News Center: The Hartford Whalers may have hired Pierre McGuire(50%) to be their next head coach. He is also hearing that they may have hired Dan Bylsma (20%), Eddie O(15%), or might trade for Mike Babcock(e5). More details to follow.....
TIOPS has MarioLives listed as the front runner for the position. I guess we'll see which blogger is right.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Beveridge wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:BREAKING NEWS into the Eklund News Center: The Hartford Whalers may have hired Pierre McGuire(50%) to be their next head coach. He is also hearing that they may have hired Dan Bylsma (20%), Eddie O(15%), or might trade for Mike Babcock(e5). More details to follow.....
TIOPS has MarioLives listed as the front runner for the position. I guess we'll see which blogger is right.
He'll want to draft all Capitals.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Beveridge wrote:
Hartford Whalers release a press release:

MarioLives was not Interviewed for the Head Coach Position. He kept sending texts about Ovechkin. The organization got creeped out by it and he started throwing out vulgar texts.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Mariolives hasn't posted since the beginning of June and you guys are still ripping on him? Cool... cool stuff.