GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by count2infinity »

that's a very odd thing for a company to do. I have also donated money to kickstarters that I've found interesting, but all were to start-ups for the most part, not a very established company. and as far as the art form thing... it's more science and business than art. I mean making beer isn't ground breaking, and making craft brews give brewers room to experiment, but I still wouldn't call it an art.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Which is why I view this Kickstarter as a ploy to take advantage of craft beer fans, which is unsettling.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i'm confused about kickstarter...if it does well, do you get the money back, with additional gains from the profit? or is it just a donation?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Tried the Flying Dog Woody Creek. Actually slightly better than Namaste
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shmenguin wrote:i'm confused about kickstarter...if it does well, do you get the money back, with additional gains from the profit? or is it just a donation?
it's merely a donation. that's the biggest part I have a problem with. they offer small things with certain pay levels, but they're all going to be well below the value of what you're contributing.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

then that's a supremely lame thing to do.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

shmenguin wrote:then that's a supremely lame thing to do.
Yeah...for example, for a $50 donation, you might get a T-shirt or something, which obviously costs the corporation little or nothing to produce.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

There's a reason private equity firms exist.
Hell, call Mitt, he won't drink up the profits.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Eh, don't feel like it's worth getting your panties in a bunch over... If you don't like the kickstarter, the beautiful thing is that you don't have to give them any money.

If enough people are stupid enough to give money to this one, that's their prerogative.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

the wicked child wrote:If enough people are stupid enough to give money to this one, that's their prerogative.
I predict there will be more than enough stupid people :lol:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

If you're not one of them, why does it really matter. If you can get stupid people to pay for something you want willingly... Why not?

I mean I agree that it's stupid, but I certainly don't blame them for trying.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I don't blame them either, I mean, it's free money. I guess there is an idealistic (gasp) side of me that likes crowd-funding and finds this to be tainting the pool.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I just think it goes against the spirit of kickstarter. I won't be donating for sure. It's one of those things, if this company is willing to go that low to get money, am I really willing to keep buying their product? Sure, they can do what they want, but I can also not agree with it and encourage others to not donate as well.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Palo Santo Morran from Dogfish Head is a great thing to drink if you want to get tipsy off two beers. Not so much for relaxing on your porch on a particularly humid summer night
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

I'm in Lafayette, LA for work and am having a South Coast Session Amber Ale. It's a bit too rich but not bad.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child wrote:Eh, don't feel like it's worth getting your panties in a bunch over... If you don't like the kickstarter, the beautiful thing is that you don't have to give them any money.
exactly. I actually think it's a great idea (I give them enough money from their beers, so they won't see a penny from me, but who cares?) What's wrong with the Zach Braff thing to get a movie made? He pitched in a lot of his money and he wanted complete artistic freedom on the project. His fans helped out and in return they get to see his vision come to life.

Anyway, back on topic. Because it was tuesday, I had a few last night:

Bells Amber - solid
Anchor Porter - After reading good things, I was really excited to try this, but I ended up being slightly let down. It was solid, but nothing great.
Founders Porter - Maybe this ruined the anchor for me, this is a fantastic porter
Southern Tier 422 Pale Wheat Ale - nice refreshing drink in the heat
Founders Devil Dancer triple IPA - at 12.4%, this thing packs quite a punch. It was a bit sour and the alcohol comes out in the end (and apparently through the night when you sleep). I would much rather drink and suggest their Double Trouble IPA
Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA - damn fine west coast IPA, love the pine and citrus in this one. top notch
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Froggy wrote:Palo Santo Morran from Dogfish Head is a great thing to drink if you want to get tipsy off two beers. Not so much for relaxing on your porch on a particularly humid summer night
great beer, when I toured the brewery, it was pretty cool seeing the giant 10,000 gallon wooden tank they use for this. The story of them acquiring the wood from Paraguay was pretty cool too. actually, here you go

[youtube][/youtube]
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Founders' Centennial IPA is pretty much in the sweet spot as far as hoppiness goes, IMO. I don;t see the need to "upgrade" to a double or triple in their case.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child wrote:Founders' Centennial IPA is pretty much in the sweet spot as far as hoppiness goes, IMO. I don;t see the need to "upgrade" to a double or triple in their case.
That's one of the few founders that doesn't work for me. Their double trouble is one of my favorites.

My pleasant surprise of the summer has to be Sierra Nevadas Hoptimum, probably one of my favorite 3 beers I've had this summer.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Froggy wrote:Palo Santo Morran from Dogfish Head is a great thing to drink if you want to get tipsy off two beers. Not so much for relaxing on your porch on a particularly humid summer night
That is such a good beer/destroyer of worlds.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i love that beer. i feel awful after i drink it.

...which i guess is another way of saying what was just said
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I'm too used to drinking Natty. I forget that two Palo Santo Morrans are like 6 nattys. Between the two of them, and two weihenstephaners, I was a bit swimmy.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Finally replaced the fridge in my kitchen, and now have all the materials for a two-tap kegerator, save for one... CO2. Anyone know where I might get a tank filled?

For our maiden voyage, we'll be pouring Green Flash WCIPA, and GL Dortmunder Gold... I have the lines cut & measured to fill growlers, so definitely invite me over... :fist:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Pitt87 wrote:Finally replaced the fridge in my kitchen, and now have all the materials for a two-tap kegerator, save for one... CO2. Anyone know where I might get a tank filled?

For our maiden voyage, we'll be pouring Green Flash WCIPA, and GL Dortmunder Gold... I have the lines cut & measured to fill growlers, so definitely invite me over... :fist:
a lot of local beer distributors fill CO2. If not, look for a a place that deals with hospitals or industrial business gasses and fuels.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Pitt87 wrote:Finally replaced the fridge in my kitchen, and now have all the materials for a two-tap kegerator, save for one... CO2. Anyone know where I might get a tank filled?

Check out the welding supply stores as well, they will be able to at least point you in the right direction.