POST GAME THREAD for Super Mario Bros Warz: Bowser's Revenge

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

POST GAME THREAD for Super Mario Bros Warz: Bowser's Revenge

Post by CBear3 »

Thanks for playing.
I've been wanting to mod a game to say thanks to all of you that do such a great job putting them on. I hope you got a little bit of enjoyment out of playing too.
Everybody got a PM, even shaf :)

The characters were:
Goombas
Played by Pavel Bure, PFiDC, rel, WK, & ulf
CBear3 wrote:You are Goomba, A regular villager who's goal is to participate in day votes to rid your new home of those darned do-gooders, Mario and company.

It is now Night 1. Day 1 will begin at 1300 eastern.
Koopa Troopas
Played by obhave and dodint. Koopas had role block abilities.
CBear3 wrote:You are a Koopa Troopa. Your job as a minion of Bowser is to protect the land from those do gooders who accompany Mario.
Each night phase you get a role block; just PM me the player who’s action you’d like to block for that night. But beware, Koopa’s can be quite clumsy; so of all the Koopas in the game only one role block will randomly be honored.

It is now night 1. PM me your choice of a role block. Day 1 will start at 1300 eastern.
Spiny
Played by redwill
CBear3 wrote:You are a Spiny. Your job as a minion of Bowser is to protect the land from those do gooders who accompany Mario.
While you have no offensive powers, your spines protect you from being killed by Mario at night if he doesn’t have Fire power or a Star.

It is now Night 1, Day 1 starts at 1300 eastern
Goomba/Buzzy Beetle
Played by shaf. An homage to all the Goombas becoming Buzzy Beetles if you replay the game after beating it.
CBear3 wrote:You are a Goomba/Buzzy Beetle. Your job as a minion of Bowser is to protect the land from those do gooders who accompany Mario. However, in honor of all the Goombas becoming Buzzy Beetles upon replay of the original game, you will come back to life if you are killed.

It is now Night 1, Day 1 will start at 1300 eastern.
Koopa Para Troopa's
Played by BigMcK and columbia. Assassins that can communicate with each other.
CBear3 wrote:You both are Kooopa ParaTroopas. Your job as minions of Bowser (part of the village) is to protect the land from those do gooders who accompany Mario. Several tools are at your disposal.
First, you can communicate with each other. Feel free to discuss the game with each other through PM’s. Second, each night a kill will be granted to one of Bowsers Assasins randomly, it may be you or your fellow KPT. A mod will tell you at the beginning of the night phase if you’ve been chosen. The "shell" (kill) is only good for that night phase. But beware, some players are quite clumsy and could restrict your ability to use your power.

It is now Night 1. Day 1 begins at 1300 eastern.
Hammer Bros.
Played by Doc and THG. Same as Koopas, but in a separate bubble of communication.
CBear3 wrote:You both are Hammer Bros. Your job as minions of Bowser (part of the village) is to protect the land from those do gooders who accompany Mario. Several tools are at your disposal.
First, you can communicate with each other. Feel free to discuss the game with each other through PM’s. Second, each night a kill will be granted to one of Bowsers Assasins randomly, it may be you or your fellow Hammer Bros. A mod will tell you at the beginning of the night phase if you’ve been chosen. The "hammer" (kill) is only good for that night phase. But beware, some players are quite clumsy and could restrict your ability to use your power.

It is now Night 1. Day 1 begins at 1300 eastern.
Iggy Koopa
Played by dagny, standard Seer.
CBear3 wrote:You are Iggy Koopa. Your job as a minion of Bowser (the village) is to protect the land from those do gooders who accompany Mario.
You are granted the power to See the true identity of a player each night phase. But beware, some players are quite clumsy and could restrict your ability to use your power.

It is now Night 1. Day 1 will begin at 1300 eastern.
Bowser
Played by SDD, standard Angel.
CBear3 wrote:You are Bowser. Your job is to protect your land from those do gooders who accompany Mario.

You are granted the power to Save yourself or another player each night phase. You are not allowed to save the same person on consecutive nights however.
Also, some of your minions are quite clumsy and could restrict your ability to use your power.

It is now Night 1. PM me your save. Day 1 will begin at 1300 eastern
And last but not least, the pasta munchers themselves
Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach
played by MRandall, MWB, Canaan, and Crank respectively.
CBear3 wrote:You 4 are the antogonists in our story. You are allowed to communicate together via PM.

MRandall - You are Mario. You are the leader of the band of do-gooders, striving to topple Bowser's rule. You are allowed to select one player to kill nightly.
You start out each day phase as Fire Mario, but if at any time during the phase you get more than two votes on you, you'll drop down to Super Mario. Some characters cannot be killed without the use of Fire, so your kill may not go through. Luckily it'll just be ineffective, as opposed to the NES game where you'd die.

MWB - You are Luigi. Your job is to take over for Mario in the event of his death.

Crankshaft - You are Princess Peach. As a friend of Mario you are also a member of the do-gooder alliance. You have the ability to SEE one rival player each night.

canaan - You are Toad. Your job is to take over for Peach in the event of her death.

Your roles may be blocked by actions you have no control over. You will be advised when you've been blocked.

It is now Night 1.
MR, please PM your kill.
Crank, please PM me your see.

Day 1 starts at 1300 eastern.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: POST GAME THREAD for Super Mario Bros Warz: Bowser's Rev

Post by CBear3 »

Night Actions
Random.Org orders:
*Roleblock Order Rd. 1
1. dodint
2. obhave

Assasssins
1. Doc
2. BigMcK
3. columbia
4. THG

Night 1
  1. obhave blocks canaan
    dodint blocks Crank

Doc kills ulf
    dagny sees redwill - spiny
    SDD saves self
    Crank sees Doc (blocked)
    MR25 kills dodint
Night 2
  1. obhave blocks redwill

BigMcK kills MWB
    dagny sees columbia - KPT
    SDD saves columbia
    Crank sees redwill
    MR25 tries to kill columbia (saved)
Night 3
  1. obhave blocks self

columbia kills shaf
    dagny sees PFiDC - Goomba
    SDD saves self
    Crank sees THG
    MR25 kills columbia
Night 4
  1. obhave blocks MR25

Doc kills obhave
    dagny sees SDD - Bowser
    SDD saves dagny
    Crank sees Doc
    MR25 tries to kill dagny (saved)
Night 5
  1. BigMcK kills MR25
    dagny sees rel - goomba
    SDD saves self
    Crank sees BigMcK
    MR25 kills dagny
Night 6
  1. BigMcK kills rel
    SDD saves redwill
    Crank sees rel
    Crank kills BigMcK
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

At least I was right about MR25 but was killed so couldn't get him out earlier hah
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Interesting psychology.
Obhave moved to block herself rather than possible create friendly fire.
NONE of the vig's passed on a kill.

I did four rotating vig's to try to get more people involved in the game. I think it might have stacked the deck too much against the reds, even after getting an extra red and a seer ability. I'm also not sure it helped conversation/participation.

I should have posted the Goomba PM now that Pavel mentioned it. I'm not sure I'd seen it done in the games I'd played, so it never crossed my mind that intimate knowledge of those five roles would be such a big deal. It would have absolved PFiDC, but it would have taken away Shaf's interesting play at reincarnation.

There was also more than its fair share of deadline fiasco's. One I dragged on because of a presentation (it was actually BigMcK waking up). I know I let one go super long when I was supposed to be putting the kids to bed (woke up in their room with a fever of 102.5°). Timing didn't always allow people to coordinate with those they could PM, so I tried to be more mindful later in the game.

I also on made it a standard practice that would have allowed a tie during day votes. 6 of 12, 4 of 8, etc. Didn't really think about it, but that's not our normal routine. Not sure it mattered in the course of the game, except to move things a long a bit quicker.

I'd like to thank you all for playing. I probably bit off a bit too big a piece for first game, but it was fun. After reading the Parenting thread I started writing up an outline for Disney Jr Warz, lol. A special thanks to WK, who did a lot of vote tallying at the end, letting me go pretty much undetected at work.

Thanks again!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Thanks cbear!
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Lol. I had no idea Doc was shooting, I never got a PM saying he was chosen. On a separate note, I didnt claim Green because nowhere in my PM did it show a color it just said, "You both are Hammer Bros. Your job as minions of Bowser (part of the village)" When it said part of the village, I just assumed I was blue.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So canaan was red and basically said, "it's ok if you kill me?"
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Thanks CBear, that was fun.

Great game by BigMcK - some clutch vig kills.

And a good play by dagny clearing SDD as a blue.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

After seeing all the PMs I am really impressed. Very well thought out game and I'm sorry for ruining it.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

apology accepted, pfidc.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

columbia wrote:So canaan was red and basically said, "it's ok if you kill me?"
:thumb:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Great game cbear thanks for modding!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

The game had a lot of power for the greens/blues, but besides that, it was ran well. bummer i didnt get to participate that much last week. good work by the village.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I got lucky with my save of columbia. I sorta guessed on that one. Other than that it was alternating saving myself or dagny. I didn't save dagny the night after she role claimed because I didn't completely trust her and I figured the reds wouldn't shoot at her because they figured she'd be saved and their shot would be better used elsewhere.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The additional shots by the vigs I think helped even things out at first as they more likely hit a blue or green than a red. I would've allowed the reds to make a recruitment at one point to spice things up.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Huge thanks to cbear for running this game.

On my last shot, I flipped a coin with either crank or rel getting the yellow request. If rel would have mumbled when I called out, crank would have been the easy call.

Great job to WK for the sideline reporting to keep this moving.

Great job to Dagny for steering the village away from some friendlies.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

I changed up day 1. Normally I sit back and wait and not rush. Thread was up and I hadn't got heavy into work yet, and so I simply went and voted for someone. It wasn't random.org but I picked a name out of the proverbial hat. Which might have well been a random.org. Work did keep me from doing much during some of the later phases, so apologies there. And for the big mis-read on doc. I probably would have given him more credence had he not voted for dagny. But that seemed to be the proverbial straw.

Though I would have expected had others believed him, they would have voted for me. Which I would have been fine with. I don't think I expected to be followed.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Thanks for the game, CBear.

I was involved the first couple of (game) days, then things came crashing around me and I couldn't participate much. Sorry for that. A couple of us veteran players kind of abandoned you. Good design, though, and a fun game to go back and watch.

Willie Kool took control of the game for the goodies. We would have been dead in the water without him. Also, dagny did great to clear just the right amount of players.

Finally ... I was purple? I didn't get a color in the original PM.

Remember that colors are the most important element of Wars games. :wink:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I thought it was PMs.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

PMs can occasionally present a problem.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

redwill wrote:Thanks for the game, CBear.

I was involved the first couple of (game) days, then things came crashing around me and I couldn't participate much. Sorry for that. A couple of us veteran players kind of abandoned you. Good design, though, and a fun game to go back and watch.

Willie Kool took control of the game for the goodies. We would have been dead in the water without him. Also, dagny did great to clear just the right amount of players.

Finally ... I was purple? I didn't get a color in the original PM.

Remember that colors are the most important element of Wars games. :wink:
The colors in the write-up here are just for effect. Spinies were red with white spikes in the NES game, but I didn't want people thinking you were bad. I tried burgundy :)
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

CBear was cool.

The rest of you are terrible in your own way.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Thanks
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

OH... just saw this thread. :lol:

Yeah, only good thing I did was protect SDD's identity.

I've never played from this perspective before. It was very easy to pick out RPers, after a couple of phases, but that was only confirmed to me upon role reveals. Also, red or green? :lol:

I was certain that Doc and McK were RPers by the time I put the vote on Doc. I had to choose between them, little did I know they were both green. We had a lot of assassins! :shock: :lol: I also believed Randall and Crank were RPers. I figured it was Doc, Crank, and Randall. Then doc came back green and I stopped trusting myself. :lol:

Each time I would have someone in mind to investigate next, they would get killed in the night, or the narrative would dictate me seeing someone else.

I never really thought canaan was anything, though.

WK- when I started believing him, I thought he might be the other hammer bro.

Thanks for the game, Cbear! :fist:
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

columbia wrote:So canaan was red and basically said, "it's ok if you kill me?"
So did crank. Attempts at reverse psychology... not so odd. And they worked! :lol: