RIP Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: RIP Thread

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Skye McCole Bartusiak, best known as Mel Gibson's youngest daughter in The Patriot, dead at 21. No cause given at this point.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Skye McCole Bartusiak, best known as Mel Gibson's youngest daughter in The Patriot, dead at 21. No cause given at this point.
Whoa. Time flies.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

canaan wrote:Godspeed James Garner
Guaranteed to happen: I tell my wife James Garner died, she looks at me with a blank stare on her face. I tell her that he was the old guy in The Notebook, she starts crying.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

My response was sonofabitch. Loved his work. Gonna have to watch Maverick and The Great Escape today.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

...and The Rockford Files

[youtube][/youtube]
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
The first two seasons of the answering machine messages are in the spoiler.
Last edited by JS© on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

RIP James
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

I loved The Rockford Files.

R.I.P. Mr.Garner.

Edit: The Great Escape was awesome.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

As a racing fan, my immediate correlation with James Garner is the move "Grand Prix". He could have done nothing else and his loss would have resonated with me.

:(
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

tifosi77 wrote:
As a racing fan, my immediate correlation with James Garner is the move "Grand Prix". He could have done nothing else and his loss would have resonated with me.

Ha. I knew that if I didn't mention Grand Prix, tifosi would. Garner did a lot of his own driving for that movie, and supposedly a bunch of real F1 drivers at the time like Graham Hill and Jack Brabham told Garner that he could have been a F1 driver had he not gone into acting. Garner did own several race teams and was active in amateur racing.

If you like auto racing, you should see Grand Prix. The racing scenes in that movie are amazing. It was shot in super-widescreen using Super Panavision 70, and it was also shown in 70 mm Cinerama. That used three different overlapping projectors and a giant curved screen. I would pay quite a bit to see the movie that way today.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Shyster wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

Ha. I knew that if I didn't mention Grand Prix, tifosi would. Garner did a lot of his own driving for that movie, and supposedly a bunch of real F1 drivers at the time like Graham Hill and Jack Brabham told Garner that he could have been a F1 driver had he not gone into acting. Garner did own several race teams and was active in amateur racing.

If you like auto racing, you should see Grand Prix. The racing scenes in that movie are amazing. It was shot in super-widescreen using Super Panavision 70, and it was also shown in 70 mm Cinerama. That used three different overlapping projectors and a giant curved screen. I would pay quite a bit to see the movie that way today.
He also did most if not all of the stunt work on The Rockford Files for his character.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

I remember him from the TV show Maverick when he and Jack Kelly played Bret and Bart Maverick. He also did some ^)'s movies I liked. The Americanization of Emily, 36 Hours and Mr Buddwing(had to look the last 2 up). First movie I saw him in was Darby's Rangers. I think it was the first movie I was allowed to walk to by myself.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Geezer wrote:He also did some ^)'s movies I liked.
Are those similar to (Y) movies? :wink:
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Longtime Post-Gazette sports writer Phil Axelrod died last night after a 9 month battle with lung cancer. He was 67.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/obitua ... 1407220094
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Starting to hate this thread. Its like...you see it at the top of the forum and you wonder who died now?
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

Gaucho wrote:
Geezer wrote:He also did some ^)'s movies I liked.
Are those similar to (Y) movies? :wink:
They're similar to 60's movies when the poster doesn't fat finger the keys. Since I type with one finger I have no excuse. :oops:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Shyster wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

The real drivers (Hill, Clark, Brabham, etc) took pains to comment that what took them all by surprise was not his speed in the car, but his actual driving skill. His gear changes, for example, were pro-caliber smooth.

Another thing of note about that movie; the racing scenes were filmed during the actual F1 races on the 1966 calendar. So when you watch the Belgian Grand Prix in the movie, about 7 of the 8 minutes of screen time is footage captured of the actual race. Which was notable because of a nasty rain storm that hit just after the race started; only about half a dozen cars started the second lap. One of the accidents in this race was the famous off Jackie Stewart had where he ended up upside down in a ditch in a pool of fuel...... just waiting for the spark....... for like 20 minutes.........

Reminded of the tagline for the video game "Grand Prix Legends": 'In 1967, Formula One changes its rules to address the number of deaths. Welcome to 1966.' I thought it was immensely poor taste, but accurate enough.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Response in F1 thread.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

James Shigeta, best known as Mr. Takagi in Die Hard, died yesterday at 81. Had a long career as an actor, but was also a singer and enlisted in the Marine Corps during the Korean War.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

He won't be joining us, for the rest, of his life....
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Starting to hate this thread. Its like...you see it at the top of the forum and you wonder who died now?
Look on the bright side, if you can read this thread, you know it ain't you.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by peterleefan »

I remember starting to watch Rockford as a 12 yr old in 1979 and through my high school and college days, I watched it if it was on in syndication. Even at that age, that show was cool.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

peterleefan wrote:I remember starting to watch Rockford as a 12 yr old in 1979 and through my high school and college days, I watched it if it was on in syndication. Even at that age, that show was cool.
A much more intelligent show than was the norm for 70's tv.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Farewell to James Shigeta, whose 50-year career included the role of Mr Takagi in "Die Hard".
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

RIP to Dutch Van Kirk, the last surviving crewman of the Enola Gay.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/29/us/enola- ... mber-dies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;