Orpik interview on Madden today at 5:30

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Orpik interview on Madden today at 5:30

Post by Jim »

Anyone else catch the interview on Madden today? I wanted to listen to it to hear what he had to say since he would have no reason to pull punches. It umm was umm possibly umm the umm worst umm interview umm that umm I umm have umm ever umm heard umm period... umm... Then Madden says that Orpik says "um" because he is thinking? Come on Mark, unless he is trying to remember the English language that just doesn't hold water. Not over exaggerating, if you counted all of the "ums" and ahs" it was very possibly a three digit number, meaning over 100. It was incredibly difficult and annoying to listen to. If he ever replays the interview and edits out the "ums" and "ahs" it will end up being a 2 minute replay. He ended up getting a few interesting things in, but nothing ground breaking. But umm it umm was umm cool umm of umm him umm to umm do umm the umm interview.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Orpik interview on Madden today at 5:30

Post by JS© »

it's not just Orpik.

Listen to an interview with 66 once. He says uhhhh a lot.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Jim is just so perfect, I wish I was just like him
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

SolidSnake wrote:Jim is just so perfect, I wish I was just like him
Yeah thanks, it is tough being me. However, I never said that I was perfect, close, but not quite... Did you hear the interview or are you just talking to hear yourself?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

JS© wrote:it's not just Orpik.

Listen to an interview with 66 once. He says uhhhh a lot.
Yep, those are quite bad as well...
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Uh huh you know obviously...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Uh huh you know obviously...
Fer sure
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I thought it was a good interview. Most of Orpik's "umms" came after Madden asked questions pertaining to his free agency decision, state of the Penguins locker room, leadership issues with the team. Basically things where he took a few seconds to decide how in depth he wanted to get with his answer. Big deal, he's a hockey player, not leader of the debate team.

A few takeaways:
- Received multiple offers with similar value. Couldn't believe the numbers his agent was giving him. Final decision came down to Washington and Colorado. Money was close, chose Washington to be close to family and easier travel in Eastern Conference.

- He further expanded on his previous comments about the pressure the team was under and the complete lack of fun this season. Between the players and coaches it sounds like everyone felt like they were in a pressure cooker. Took no joy in wins during the regular season because they knew they didn't matter and ultimately choked in the playoffs.

- The locker room doesn't have a "loud voice" but feels like not every team needs that type of player, mainly because they are hard to come by. Sid and Geno are excellent leaders, just in their own way.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Orpiks comments are eerily similar to Bosh's regarding the Heat.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Too bad throwing a couple o the best players in the world onto a team isnt as effective in the nhl as it is in the nba.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Maybe Guerin being closer to the players will keep things loose. When winning isn't fun anymore things got to change.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Idoit40fans wrote:Too bad throwing a couple o the best players in the world onto a team isnt as effective in the nhl as it is in the nba.
Yeah alot different, in the NBA thoes guys are playing 50 minutes a night at least. Geno and Sid can only effect the play for the 20-23 minutes they are out there.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Dickie Dunn wrote:I thought it was a good interview. Most of Orpik's "umms" came after Madden asked questions pertaining to his free agency decision, state of the Penguins locker room, leadership issues with the team. Basically things where he took a few seconds to decide how in depth he wanted to get with his answer. Big deal, he's a hockey player, not leader of the debate team.

A few takeaways:
- Received multiple offers with similar value. Couldn't believe the numbers his agent was giving him. Final decision came down to Washington and Colorado. Money was close, chose Washington to be close to family and easier travel in Eastern Conference.

- He further expanded on his previous comments about the pressure the team was under and the complete lack of fun this season. Between the players and coaches it sounds like everyone felt like they were in a pressure cooker. Took no joy in wins during the regular season because they knew they didn't matter and ultimately choked in the playoffs.

- The locker room doesn't have a "loud voice" but feels like not every team needs that type of player, mainly because they are hard to come by. Sid and Geno are excellent leaders, just in their own way.
Thanks for giving the content of the interview. Much appreciated.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

no name wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Too bad throwing a couple o the best players in the world onto a team isnt as effective in the nhl as it is in the nba.
Yeah alot different, in the NBA thoes guys are playing 50 minutes a night at least. Geno and Sid can only effect the play for the 20-23 minutes they are out there.
I dont think the reason is time on ice per game its just a completely different game where one person can regularly do it on their own.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I still don't understand why anyone would offer him as much money as he got. Good for Brooks though.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I still don't understand why anyone would offer him as much money as he got. Good for Brooks though.
Because, outside of Pittsburgh fans, he's a very well respected, veteran NHL defenseman. He's also a good leader and a younger team, looking for some leadership places value on Brooks Orpik.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

no name wrote:
I am willing to bet no one averages 50 minutes per game :D
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Pitts wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I still don't understand why anyone would offer him as much money as he got. Good for Brooks though.
Because, outside of Pittsburgh fans, he's a very well respected, veteran NHL defenseman. He's also a good leader and a younger team, looking for some leadership places value on Brooks Orpik.
I respect him and think he's a good leader. That still doesn't mean that contract was reasonable by any calculation.