Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by PensFanInDC »

Irrational:

When my food from a restaurant is too hot to eat. We went out for Mexican tonight and it was still steaming in the middle 15 minutes after I got my food.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I was riding the T into town the other night, and I guess the booth attendant leaves at 830. We got to the stop at station square at like 829, and I swiped my transit pass, and my friend gave the booth attendant her transfer slip.

At like 835, a train pulled up, and as we were getting on, he's like "you gotta pay". I told him we paid at the booth, and he said "that booth has been closed for 5 minutes." I don't know if you guys are familiar with how the trains run, but there are usually gaps of more than 4 and a half minutes between trains. The fact that he felt the need to argue with me about it really pissed me off. He was clearly the first train through after the booth closed, and if it an issue, the booth attendant should have told us to pay on the train.

So I guess my peeve here would be incompetent PAT employees... But that's not irrational, so I guess I'm off topic
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I do a lot of copying for my job. Most of what I copy are bio science reports and workbooks. When I make my copies I do so in a specific order so that I can grab it out of the tray and it's ready to go. Our copier is also the office printer. People will walk into the copy room where I am standing and just grab stuff out of the output tray and start to flip through it. When they see that their stuff isn't in there they will just toss it onto the table next to the copier. This drives me insane. There is a button labeled "job status" on the copier. If you hit that button you will see where your job is in the queue. Nobody seems to get that. You have a Ph.D. in biology but you can't figure out how to an em effin' button to see where your print job is. Instead you take my copies, which are in a specific order, shuffle them around, and toss them on a table without a care.

F you scientists...
A secure print function was installed on our companies printer so that you have to enter a PIN number at the printer to access your print jobs. I love it for the fact that I can print my documents out at any point and pick them up without worry of them getting lost.
We have that option here, but the number of people who actually use it is probably less than .5%. If it's early enough in the day and I know I'm not going to be lost in the sea of papers, I don't bother with it. But if it's after maybe 8am or especially 9am, then I definitely use it.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

We have two printers, one without secure print and another which is a multifunction printer, copier, scanner, and fax. There is no option to use the multifunction printer without secure print.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

when people merge immediately when coming on to the highway into one of the main lanes even though the lane they were is not ending. the two biggest points that i can think of this are on the blvd of the allies inbound where the oakland/376 lanes come together. everyone is in a huge rush to change to their final lane within 10 feet of the merge point. also happens on parkway north inbound where you merge on from mcknight. although that lane lasts until east street, everyone merges over IMMEDIATELY
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Speaking of printers, I have 2. One high quality, professional printer for photos and a cheap pos HP for documents. Whenever I'm printing photos from Photoshop, I always use the pro printer but if I'm printing several different files, midway through it inevitably switches at random from the good printer to the HP. I cannot figure out why it switches from one printer to the other but I never catch it until I hear the pos HP rapidly firing off a color copy. So annoying. :(
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:when people merge immediately when coming on to the highway into one of the main lanes even though the lane they were is not ending. the two biggest points that i can think of this are on the blvd of the allies inbound where the oakland/376 lanes come together. everyone is in a huge rush to change to their final lane within 10 feet of the merge point. also happens on parkway north inbound where you merge on from mcknight. although that lane lasts until east street, everyone merges over IMMEDIATELY
Yep, that is Western PA drivers for you: Panic at the Merge.

This is also evident in a construction zone when a lane closes. Despite all the warning signs (Lane Ends: 1/2 Mile; Use Both Lanes to Merge Point) people have to merge over RIGHT NOW! The proper way is to use all lanes to the merge and do a zipper merge and keep traffic flowing, but no, people think it is elementary school and think that people driving to the merge point are cutting in line! OMG! Don't take my chocolate milk! Instead let's just sit in single lane of traffic for a 1/2 mile and add five minutes to the commute because people panic. GTFO. It's not supposed to be a line! Can't wait for driverless cars so merges happen better and the right way.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

The zipper is good in theory, but hard to actually pull off when real people do it.

Getting over prior to the merge point saves time in the long run, as the drivers in the open lane won't need to slow down in order to let people in from the closed lane who speed up and pass everyone, but run out of road to do so and slow down to a crawl waiting for a spot to enter.

To let the jagoff who tried to speed past everyone in, the open lane has to slow the flow of traffic, otherwise the guy from the closed lane can't get in. This causes a ripple effect to the point that a jam occurs because the original flow of traffic has to be halted to almost nothing, due in part to the people who speed in the closed lane to try to get ahead of everyone.

If everyone gets over when they see a "Lane closed, 2 miles ahead" sign, there'd be no problems. 2 miles is more than enough to find ample room and maintain flow of traffic. Problem is, people are impatient ****** and try to get ahead of everyone, and THAT is what causes the jams. Not the people getting over early.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

pens9192 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:when people merge immediately when coming on to the highway into one of the main lanes even though the lane they were is not ending. the two biggest points that i can think of this are on the blvd of the allies inbound where the oakland/376 lanes come together. everyone is in a huge rush to change to their final lane within 10 feet of the merge point. also happens on parkway north inbound where you merge on from mcknight. although that lane lasts until east street, everyone merges over IMMEDIATELY
Yep, that is Western PA drivers for you: Panic at the Merge.

This is also evident in a construction zone when a lane closes. Despite all the warning signs (Lane Ends: 1/2 Mile; Use Both Lanes to Merge Point) people have to merge over RIGHT NOW! The proper way is to use all lanes to the merge and do a zipper merge and keep traffic flowing, but no, people think it is elementary school and think that people driving to the merge point are cutting in line! OMG! Don't take my chocolate milk! Instead let's just sit in single lane of traffic for a 1/2 mile and add five minutes to the commute because people panic. GTFO. It's not supposed to be a line! Can't wait for driverless cars so merges happen better and the right way.
Uh oh, I have been crucified on here for being peeved about the merge point. Good luck bro.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Recently, the go to first unread feature on here has been acting up gor me... Usually takes me 3 or 4 posts before that. Driving me nuts.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Basketball highlight clips which are centered around OMGZ WHAT A DUNK!
Are there any unique dunks at this point?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Most likely a rational pet peeve but I hate that when I click the red "X" on the Spotify desktop app, all that does is minimize the program. I have to right-click and select "Quit Spotify" to close the program.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

MRandall25 wrote:The zipper is good in theory, but hard to actually pull off when real people do it.

Getting over prior to the merge point saves time in the long run, as the drivers in the open lane won't need to slow down in order to let people in from the closed lane who speed up and pass everyone, but run out of road to do so and slow down to a crawl waiting for a spot to enter.

To let the jagoff who tried to speed past everyone in, the open lane has to slow the flow of traffic, otherwise the guy from the closed lane can't get in. This causes a ripple effect to the point that a jam occurs because the original flow of traffic has to be halted to almost nothing, due in part to the people who speed in the closed lane to try to get ahead of everyone.

If everyone gets over when they see a "Lane closed, 2 miles ahead" sign, there'd be no problems. 2 miles is more than enough to find ample room and maintain flow of traffic. Problem is, people are impatient ****** and try to get ahead of everyone, and THAT is what causes the jams. Not the people getting over early.
We might have to agree to disagree then. I seem to hardly encounter warning signs for a merge 2 miles ahead. But I think people who merge over as soon as they see that sign are people trying to get ahead of everyone probably thinking, "If I get over now, I will be safe and wont have to merge over at the last minute." Transportation experts and agencies agree that the Zipper is the proper way but official laws are kind of ambiguous: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... littl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meh, I'll just continue to be a later merger and other people will do their own thing 2 miles back. I don't mean to be a d-bag by using the closed lane until the merge point and ticking people off, but that's how I roll and I am just following the signs.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

We have sort of the opposite of that here in L.A. CalTrans recently completed construction on a project to widen the 405 between the 101 and the 10 (about a 7-8 mile run). When they finished, the new on-ramp from Sunset Blvd to the 405 S actually put you straight into the #5 lane of travel. There was no merge/blend lane whatsoever. To make matters worse, the ramp comes down onto the freeway on a curve, which means you can't really see the traffic that's on the freeway, and they can't see you on the ramp, and it's a short ramp so there isn't enough space to accelerate up to freeway speeds. You were basically getting dumped onto the freeway unsighted and about 35-40 mph slower than the cars around you. First (and only) time I use the ramp in this condition, I got down to the freeway and was immediately beside an 18-wheeler.

They've since corrected it by creating a blend lane that's all of about 300 feet long. Whoop.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I use both lanes to merge point. F all y'all.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

mac5155 wrote:I use both lanes to merge point. F all y'all.
I PAY MY TAXES!!
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

tifosi77 wrote:
We have sort of the opposite of that here in L.A. CalTrans recently completed construction on a project to widen the 405 between the 101 and the 10 (about a 7-8 mile run). When they finished, the new on-ramp from Sunset Blvd to the 405 S actually put you straight into the #5 lane of travel. There was no merge/blend lane whatsoever. To make matters worse, the ramp comes down onto the freeway on a curve, which means you can't really see the traffic that's on the freeway, and they can't see you on the ramp, and it's a short ramp so there isn't enough space to accelerate up to freeway speeds. You were basically getting dumped onto the freeway unsighted and about 35-40 mph slower than the cars around you. First (and only) time I use the ramp in this condition, I got down to the freeway and was immediately beside an 18-wheeler.

They've since corrected it by creating a blend lane that's all of about 300 feet long. Whoop.
One would think that the days of spending millions (billions?) of dollars in road improvements only to have sucky merge lanes would be long over. Its one thing to have a tiny lane like the one you described on some road that is from the 60's or 70's? But in the 21st century, there is no excuse for it.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

mac5155 wrote:I use both lanes to merge point. F all y'all.
To add to this. Screw the guy who sits half way in both lanes and then when he sees you driving by, decides to drift into your lane.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i love that guy.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I saw a truck (18-wheeler) do that once. I thought it was hilarious until I realized he was doing that because there was a wreck over the top of the hill crest that people who would speed up and pass the "slow" moving lane wouldn't have seen.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Yeah, cause one lane of traffic 10 Miles long is so much better than 2 lanes of 5.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

PensFanInDC wrote:So everything Lou Reed ever did?
:), that's the first thing that came to mind. A good illustration:

[youtube][/youtube]

Great song.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I don't know if I blame him or metallica for Lulu. Probably both...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

PensFanInDC wrote:I don't know if I blame him or metallica for Lulu. Probably both...
It takes two to tango.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

WGASWGAF