TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: TV Shows

Post by offsides »

offsides wrote:IMO, The Last Ship with another winner tonight.
Tonight's episode, not so much.
Spoiler:
Very far fetched to have a few small parachutes pull a large Navy war ship across the ocean. :face:
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I cannot wait to discuss The Strain with yinz.
Spoiler:
I will never think of Sweet Caroline the same way ever again
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

We kept hearing commercials for the Strain on the way home yesterday. Though every time they said 206 passengers, all I could do was think of Bones, on account of the number 206 being driven into my head so much.

(We will likely give it a chance, though we'll pick it up on a reair later this week. Last time we did this was with the Last Ship. Too much on Sunday nights right now - also Falling Skies and Unforgettable in our house. Good thing TNT/FX has later reairs)
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Final season of Parenthood

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=877289
"One of the things I wanted to do for the season was to find one larger story that influences everybody on the show," he said. "The story is going to be introduced in the first episode and play throughout the season. It's a huge new challenge for the family and one that we didn't see before& In this case, I feel like I want to to do something that starts at the beginning of the season, by the way there will be as many story lines going on as usual, but this will be something that tracks us throughout the year."
Zeek dying?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

if they were smart, they would focus mainly on adam and crosby. I still watch, but it is getting increasingly difficult dealing with how annoying most of the other characters are.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Spoiler:
As I suspected, a bad ending for both Jack and Audrey. Hacking Cheng's head off with the sword was pretty sweet though.

Kinda strange though... they ended with the "silent clock" which typical means someone (good) is dead... are we to take that to mean that Bauer is now dead (or soon will be)?

Overall, that was by far the best season since 4. Very enjoyable. Almost washes the taste of the last 3 out of my mouth.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:if they were smart, they would focus mainly on adam and crosby. I still watch, but it is getting increasingly difficult dealing with how annoying most of the other characters are.
Sarah might be the most annoying character in TV history.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

they ended season 6 with a silent clock - Jack was just told by Heller to buzz off and stay away from his family.

Regarding tonight:
Spoiler:
I thought it was as unsatisfying as could be. I realize a central tenant of Jack's character is that he can never relax; his work protecting our country is never done. But nobody gets a happy ending.

-Audrey is dead.
-Mark is a widower on his way to jail.
-Kate leaves the CIA responsible for Audrey's death.
-Heller is succumbing to Alzheimer's.
-Chloe has the guilt of causing the whole damn day, not to mention Jack ending up in a gulag.

The end of Day 8 was fairly satisfying - a fitting end for 24 and Jack. Plus a great place to pick up a movie. This ending was just depressing. If we don't ever get another season or movie we can't imagine Jack found happiness - he's going to be tortured/executed by the Soviets.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Longmire with an intense episode tonight. Becoming one of my favs. :thumb:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

pittsoccer33 wrote:they ended season 6 with a silent clock - Jack was just told by Heller to buzz off and stay away from his family.
Ok, I think I just tried to purge that season from memory.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Giving Alpha Males on Amazon Prime a look. I'd say anything with Goodman in it should do well, but see the Movie thread for Monuments Men.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

offsides wrote:Longmire with an intense episode tonight. Becoming one of my favs. :thumb:
What is this?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

pittsoccer33 wrote:they ended season 6 with a silent clock - Jack was just told by Heller to buzz off and stay away from his family.

Regarding tonight:
Spoiler:
I thought it was as unsatisfying as could be. I realize a central tenant of Jack's character is that he can never relax; his work protecting our country is never done. But nobody gets a happy ending.

-Audrey is dead.
-Chloe has the guilt of causing the whole damn day, not to mention Jack ending up in a gulag.

The end of Day 8 was fairly satisfying - a fitting end for 24 and Jack. Plus a great place to pick up a movie. This ending was just depressing. If we don't ever get another season or movie we can't imagine Jack found happiness - he's going to be tortured/executed by the Soviets.
Spoiler:
If they are going to continue for sure (which from that ending and season, I'm guessing they are going to want to), then I'm OK with all this. If not, I think they should have ended it with Jack standing on the ship, shooting off a machine gun in one hand, holding cheng zhi's head in the other and just screaming.

Other than that, I like the 12 episode season and think they should do more like this, even if it takes a couple years, it was great entertainment and it didn't feel like there was any filler trying to get through a 24 hour day.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

so, i finally decided to start watching Breaking Bad a few weeks ago. I just finished the season 3 finale... HOLY POOP!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

eddysnake wrote:

Regarding tonight:
Spoiler:

-Audrey is dead.

Spoiler:
If they are going to continue for sure (which from that ending and season, I'm guessing they are going to want to), then I'm OK with all this. If not, I think they should have ended it with Jack standing on the ship, shooting off a machine gun in one hand, holding cheng zhi's head in the other and just screaming.

Other than that, I like the 12 episode season and think they should do more like this, even if it takes a couple years, it was great entertainment and it didn't feel like there was any filler trying to get through a 24 hour day.
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure that they are not going to just end with Jack being tortured by the Russians.

I didn't see this one as ending much worse than any previous season, really. Hell, the very first season ended with him finding his pregnant wife dead. And I would argue that there was nothing particularly satisfying about Season 8's ending either. He was technically "free" but had to give up his friends, his family and even his country. I will give you that it was less depressing... but that is what I've come to expect of 24, so it didn't phase me.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

24 showrunners on the ending
Spoiler:
Now that he's been captured by the Russians (again), where do you see the saga of Jack Bauer going from here? There was talk about this miniseries spinning into an actual TV series. What’s the plan?

Coto: There actually is no plan. This was conceived as an ending. This is not to say there won’t be anything else, but right now, this is the end. I will point out that, as Jack walks off, there is a silent clock. I’ll let you make of that what you will.

Katz: And, as many like to say, there’s a lot of stories out there, but the stars have to align.

Coto: Oh listen, we could keep going—and we would keep going because it’s fun to do, and we really love this character and the show itself. Now, with Jack in Russia, I think there’s a lot of fun to be had with Jack in Moscow. My fantasy is that Jack arrives in Moscow and the Russians tell him, “We don’t want to actually incarcerate you or screw with you; we actually need you,” and he’s off on a whole other adventure. There are infinite stories. But right now, this is it.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... uture.html
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I thought the "big twist" this week is that Jack actually was working for the Russians. Like he was working for them trying to stop the Cheng/guy with glass in his neck plan to start a war, that the Russian intelligence guy was a rogue agent.

I'd have LOVED the final shot to be of bodies falling out of the helicopter with Jack at the controls...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Started watching The Wire.

What a show.
Spoiler:
Two gay main characters - including a thug - would've been a big deal now, nevermind in 2002.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

24 sounds like a frustrating show to watch.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Crankshaft wrote:24 sounds like a frustrating show to watch.

I don't think so. It's a great show for giving out high fives. I think it's an incredibly fun show to watch.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Yeah 24 is pretty awesome. Frustrating is not what i would call it at all.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Crankshaft wrote:24 sounds like a frustrating show to watch.
The bad guy always pays for what they do. So in that sense its always a win.

But no season ends with a everything tied in a nice bow. Especially 4 and 5 where they were setting up cliffhangers for the next year (those two were the highest rated and generally considered the best, with Season 5 winning a few Emmys - including best actor, best director, best drama).

Each season is typically set up into two sections. The first year was written so that if the show didn't get picked up that they could have a conclusion at the end of the 12th hour. But then a full season was ordered so the nature of the threat changed over the course of the day. I think they just sort of used that as a template for future years - each small story builds and rsolves over 3 or 4 episodes, then around the 12th hour the terror threat you've been following is resolved, and something worse is introduced.

The show went off the rails in the 6th year, the one after all the awards. By the end of the fourth episode a nuke went off in LA - theres nowhere to go from that. This is really the year they started rehashing old plot ideas. I think this was the first year where I didn't care what happened at all in the second half of the season. The first storyline was infinitely more enjoyable.

Season 7 was cancelled/delayed a full year due to the writers strike. When it finally came back a year later they moved the show to DC to try changing things up. It was ok - some parts better than others.

The 8th was the final year and it took place in NYC. Once Fox made the decision to end the show (about half way through production of the season) it took the restraints off the writers and allowed for 5 or 6 really good episodes to end the run.
Last edited by pittsoccer33 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Froggy wrote:so, i finally decided to start watching Breaking Bad a few weeks ago. I just finished the season 3 finale... HOLY POOP!
yeah, that was bonkers. good news for you. the show doesn't peak there and slowly decline. it keeps getting better. the final season is very close to being the best season of any show ever.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Started watching The Wire.

What a show.
Spoiler:
Two gay main characters - including a thug - would've been a big deal now, nevermind in 2002.
As you may have noticed TL and I just binged the series.

That's Omar who became my favorite character. Enjoy it. It was a fantastic show best binge watched IMO.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

eddysnake wrote:
offsides wrote:Longmire with an intense episode tonight. Becoming one of my favs. :thumb:
What is this?
"Longmire is a crime drama television series that premiered on June 3, 2012, on A&E.[1] The series was developed by John Coveny and Hunt Baldwin and is based on the "Walt Longmire Mysteries" series of mystery novels written by best-selling author Craig Johnson.[2]

The show centers around Walt Longmire, a Wyoming county sheriff who returns to work after his wife's death. Assisted by his friends and his daughter, Longmire investigates major crimes within his jurisdiction, while campaigning for re-election.

The show's second season ended on August 26, 2013. On November 25, 2013, A&E renewed Longmire for a third season.[3] It premiered on June 2, 2014."

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... 4e_rxIcmRc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;