Toews/Kane signed, 8yrs, 10.5M each

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Toews/Kane signed, 8yrs, 10.5M each

Post by FLPensFan »

Wow.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Toews/Kane signed, 8yrs, 10.5M each

Post by Idoit40fans »

Goodbye depth. At least they have Hossa on a value contract for now and Keith on a great value contract.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Idoit40fans wrote:Goodbye depth. At least they have Hossa on a value contract for now and Keith on a great value contract.
http://www.capgeek.com/player/476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

It's just a matter of timing. Crosby and Malkin's were "wow" and then Getzlaf and Perry's were "wow" and now Toews and Kane are "wow" that's $21 mil tied up in two players. Getz/Perry are only $17 mil or so...doesn't look so bad...

There's some replaceable parts on that Chicago team too that make some change...Crawford and Oduya could both be jettisoned and replaced with much cheaper options, as neither are impact players. They must make $9 or $10 mil between them or so, IIRC...
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Idoit40fans wrote:Goodbye depth. At least they have Hossa on a value contract for now and Keith on a great value contract.
The 6M per deal for Crawford evened the Keith deal out. But 10.5M per for Toews / Kane is crazy.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

They are $2.2M over the cap right now. Next year these will add an additional $8.4M to their cap hit with no high $ players contracts expiring. Two $3M dmen, but that's not going to help that much. Fire-sale in Chicago!!!
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Jim wrote:They are $2.2M over the cap right now. Next year these will add an additional $8.4M to their cap hit with no high $ players contracts expiring. Two $3M dmen, but that's not going to help that much. Fire-sale in Chicago!!!
Saad is a RFA.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

They only have $3.2M in cap space next year with 15 players signed. Fill in the 7 open spots with league minimum guys and they are still over the cap. With an increase in the cap they might be right at it. And as guru pointed out, that does NOT include Saad. They are basically looking at a 2 line team next year (as it stands).
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

sharp to pens e3
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

mikey287 wrote:It's just a matter of timing. Crosby and Malkin's were "wow" and then Getzlaf and Perry's were "wow" and now Toews and Kane are "wow" that's $21 mil tied up in two players. Getz/Perry are only $17 mil or so...doesn't look so bad...

There's some replaceable parts on that Chicago team too that make some change...Crawford and Oduya could both be jettisoned and replaced with much cheaper options, as neither are impact players. They must make $9 or $10 mil between them or so, IIRC...
My "wow" was that Sid and Geno didn't get more. They seem entirely appropriate, especially at the time. They are now, of course, bargains, but numbers usually dictate contract and both Kane and Toews don't really own impressive regular season stats. These deals are a product of playoff results/performances, but man, it's just going to obliterate their depth. Unless the salary cap skyrockets in the next few years, I predict their bottom six (their bread and butter!) is going to look real ugly. Like, 2013-14 Penguins ugly.

They're going to have to hope Saad will agree to some sort of bridge deal that will get them past Bickell's and Sharp's contracts.

Additionally, looking at their prospect is weirdly similar to the Penguins as well. They don't have any promising forwards that fit the prototypical bottom six mold; a lot of smaller (under 6'), "skilled" forwards. No goalies in the pipeline to fall back on if Crawford falters (which I really do believe he will) and no solid defenseman prospects, unless you count Stephen Johns (who I really think is a career AHLer, at best).

The fall of the Blackhawks is coming, my friends. They honestly have the organizational makeup of the Penguins from a few years ago.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:sharp to pens e3

The only thing that we have to offer is D (Martin, since we would need to trade $ for $) and Chicago does not need D but does need to cut salary... that is 2 strikes against a Sharp to Pens deal.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Serious question: Where do Kane and Toews rank among the best players in the NHL?

Excluding goalies, off the top of my head, these are arguably the best 11 players in the NHL? In what order would you place them? Where's Karlsson, Duchene?

Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews, Getzlaf, Tavarez, Stamkos, Chara, Kane, Suter, Doughty

Edit: Kopitar, Weber
Last edited by TheHammer24 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I think Kopitar has to be in the top 10
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

TheHammer24 wrote:Serious question: Where do Kane and Toews rank among the best players in the NHL?

Excluding goalies, off the top of my head, these are arguably the best 11 players in the NHL? In what order would you place them? Where's Karlsson, Duchene?

Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews, Getzlaf, Tavarez, Stamkos, Chara, Kane, Suter, Doughty
It's a tough conversation these days. Where do Kopitar and Weber fit? Or Giroux and Seguin and Benn? Lots of talent all across the board.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Troy Loney wrote:I think Kopitar has to be in the top 10
And swap Chara out.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Off hand: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Weber, Doughty, Kopitar, Giroux...

Kane and Toews have a case to be in there, but I'm sure they're coming right up if that list were to continue.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Is that in order, Mikey?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I feel like I'd have my rankings more like this:

Crosby
Toews
Malkin
Kopitar
Stamkos
Giroux
Tavares
Ovechkin
Kane
Getzlaf
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Giroux at 8 years, $8.275 million per season is looking like a better deal now. Just needs to keep his hands to himself.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

My follow up question is are all ten players worth the de facto league max? (What Geno, Sid, and these two received in the year they received it.) I think the answer is yes.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

mikey287 wrote:Off hand: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Weber, Doughty, Kopitar, Giroux...

Kane and Toews have a case to be in there, but I'm sure they're coming right up if that list were to continue.
whoa whoa whoa. Where's James Neal?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

TheHammer24 wrote:My follow up question is are all ten players worth the de facto league max? (What Geno, Sid, and these two received in the year they received it.) I think the answer is yes.

I think they are, i think the debate is, and will be amplified depending on how the blackhawks succeed, does it make sense for a team to committ two max type contracts at the same position?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Pavel Bure wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Off hand: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Weber, Doughty, Kopitar, Giroux...

whoa whoa whoa. Where's James Neal?
Going back to being normal and play with Mike Fisher. Oh yea that's not gonna happen anytime soon cause is out for 4-6
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

TheHammer24 wrote:My follow up question is are all ten players worth the de facto league max? (What Geno, Sid, and these two received in the year they received it.) I think the answer is yes.
even if crosby and giroux are both in the top 10, i don't think they deserve to be paid equally if they sign new deals in the same offseason. you do?
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

The deals are fair. Obviously those players have a lot of value right now.

I don't blame the Hawks. At a business level, it's a no-brainer.

It may hurt at a hockey level for a couple of years, but probably no more than drama and/or making significant changes would have.