George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I just started Black Company, no need to wait around for GRRM when there are millions of other books to read.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

AlexPKeaton wrote:I just started Black Company, no need to wait around for GRRM when there are millions of other books to read.

this looks pretty good. I've been trying to find something new to get into, but didn't want to get tied down with something that had 10+ books already in the series.

Have it narrowed down to the Gentleman Bastards series starting with The Lies of Locke Lamora or Nobody's Son

Anyone read any of those?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I'm about half way through FFC. Arya just left the house of Black and White to learn a new language.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I cannot believe it took me this long to realize that Grand Maester Pycelle is played by Julian Glover. One of my favorite character actors.

Wait, and Olenna Tyrell is played by Diana Rigg, who also played the only Bond girl to marry 007? How did I miss all these James Bond tie-ins?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

So I think Imma take the plunge and start reading/watching GOT. Across the street neighbor practically assaulted me when I told him I hadn't watched, and he also said it doesn't really matter if you read first then watch, or read while watching. Whatever, he said..... just start watching the show already.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

You don't need to read to enjoy the show. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

Pro: You will get to live out all of the surprises and twists while watching (assuming people haven't spoiled it for you)
Con: It may prove difficult to follow some of the myriad characters

Pro: You won't get angry/upset when things are changed/missing from the books
Con: You lose out on a deeper understanding of some characters' motives

The books can be really good (A Storm of Swords) or really drag at times (A Feast For Crows/A Dance With Dragons).
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

I gave up on the books about 120 pages in to the first one. Haven't looked back for a second
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:I gave up on the books about 120 pages in to the first one. Haven't looked back for a second
Congrats on making it twice as far as me. Tried again a second time and didn't bother to continue after the first chapter.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

The way I did it was I watched season 1 first, and then read the books the rest of the way.

Season 1 and book 1 are very similar. Since the book is obviously more detailed, it's almost like a bonus reading book 1 after watching season 1.

Since all the best stuff has happened on the show already, you're probably better off just watching the show. I started reading the books because I couldn't wait another year to find out what happens next.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I'm not sure what the rule on spoilers is in this thread, so spoilered (S4E8)
Spoiler:
I knew the fate that would happen to Oberyn Martell, but wow did I find it really hard to watch. I just loved his character, and I found his death more disturbing than the Red Wedding even, for a variety of reasons.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Basically, the general rule on spoilers has been that once something has aired on the show, it no longer requires spoilers. Anything from the books that has not yet occurred on the show should be spoilered.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Spangler wrote:The way I did it was I watched season 1 first, and then read the books the rest of the way.

Season 1 and book 1 are very similar. Since the book is obviously more detailed, it's almost like a bonus reading book 1 after watching season 1.

Since all the best stuff has happened on the show already, you're probably better off just watching the show. I started reading the books because I couldn't wait another year to find out what happens next.
This was pretty much what I did. I started reading the first book during season 1, but I was far enough behind that the show finished long before I ever caught up. I then read the rest of the books (ADWD came out while I was reading AFFC so I didn't have to wait at all, fortunately).
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm not sure what the rule on spoilers is in this thread, so spoilered (S4E8)
Spoiler:
I knew the fate that would happen to Oberyn Martell, but wow did I find it really hard to watch. I just loved his character, and I found his death more disturbing than the Red Wedding even, for a variety of reasons.
Yeah that sucked. He was one of my favorite characters, and as a non book reader I assumed his fate was directly tied to my favorite character Tyrion's life. It was brutal going from the thrill of watching him kick the Mountain's ass to a sense of inevitable doom when he kept circling the body and delaying the death blow. Watching the fight swiftly transition from a decisive Viper victory to the Mountain gouging his eyes out and popping his head like a balloon was awesome television but so so disturbing. I've watched the Red Wedding multiple times but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to watch the last minute of that fight again.

It doesn't hit me quite as hard anymore with Tyrion exacting some sort of revenge for both of them but man, I was livid and somewhat depressed after that episode.

Edit: I should note I had the Red Wedding spoiled for me from the get go so that didn't really affect me as much as it should have.
Last edited by Staggy on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I read everything before the show began. I skimmed the last 100 pages of Feast for Crows and will probably never pick another one of his books up again. The show is good enough for me.

I also think the red wedding was much MUCH more disturbing (to me) than the Viper's death. I knew both were coming.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The thing which made the Red Wedding much more disturbing for me was
Spoiler:
Talissa being stabbed in the belly repeatedly. It made things even darker and uglier than the book, which is saying something.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

the wicked child wrote:The thing which made the Red Wedding much more disturbing for me was
Spoiler:
Talissa being stabbed in the belly repeatedly. It made things even darker and uglier than the book, which is saying something.
Yup
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Was that a Cat chapter in the book?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PensFanInDC wrote:Was that a Cat chapter in the book?
Yes.

In fact, pretty much every chapter with Robb (once Eddard leaves for KL anyway) was via Cat's POV. It was one of the clues to me that Robb wasn't going to make it in the end... though I didn't expect his end to occur in the manner that it did.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:I gave up on the books about 120 pages in to the first one. Haven't looked back for a second
Congrats on making it twice as far as me. Tried again a second time and didn't bother to continue after the first chapter.
Took me 4 or 5 attempts. A Feast for Crows has been a slog however; I am still about halfway through and skipping chapters at a time.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Peter Dinklage among 19 Emmy nominations, his for Supporting actor
Spoiler:
Tyrion is not a supporting character in Game of Thrones, he is the main character :)
If anyone else but Dinklage was cast this show would have been dropped after a season, maybe two.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

slappybrown wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
Took me 4 or 5 attempts. A Feast for Crows has been a slog however; I am still about halfway through and skipping chapters at a time.
Ball of Beasts :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I've been going back and checking the ASOIAF Wiki and comparing it to the show. It's crazy how much stuff I have forgotten from the books, and where some pretty significant differences are in the plot.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

DelPen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
Ball of Beasts :pop:
I was tempted, but I am 60% through AFFC according to Kindle, so I can't start over now.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Directors announced for season 5. Strangely, none of the directors from season 4 will be directing episodes this season.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/15/game- ... directors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I think I am going to reread Dance With Dragons.