Gibbons to CBJ

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Gibbons to CBJ

Post by JS© »

OLUMBUS, OHIO – The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed forward Brian Gibbons to a one-year, two-way (NHL/AHL) contract, club General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen announced today.

Gibbons, 26, has spent the past three seasons in the Pittsburgh Penguins organization, tallying five goals, seven assists, 12 points, six penalty minutes and a +5 plus/minus rating in 41 games played for Pittsburgh and 30-60-90 in 168 appearances with the American Hockey League’s Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. The 5-8, 170-pound center skated in eight Stanley Cup Playoff games during the 2014 postseason, registering 2-1-3, 2 PIM and a +2 rating. He also recorded 1-2-3, 18 PIM and a +2 rating in 10 Calder Cup Playoff games and competed in the AHL All-Star Game last season, dishing out two assists for Team AHL in a 7-2 victory over Färjestad BK.

A native of Braintree, Massachusetts, Gibbons won a NCAA title with the Boston College Eagles in 2008 and 2010. He was named to Hockey East’s All-Academic Team in 2009 and was a Second Team All-Star for the conference in 2011. In 160 career collegiate games, Gibbons recorded 56-108-164 and a +82 rating.
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kinda surprised he wasn't brought back.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Gibbons to CBJ

Post by Froggy »

I'm not sure exactly what we'd do with him if he WAS brought back. I think he did a good job for us last year, but he's not a guy I saw as an every day player.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Weak. Can't help but feel that will bite us at some inopportune time. Lots of speed leaving town.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Valuable plugin for 40 games; the problem was that they had to rely on him too much. I wanted to see him back, but no great loss.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

I can see why Columbus would sign him - he certainly played with more energy than a lot of his teammates did in the Columbus series. I liked his speed and energy, but he's not talented enough to score at the NHL level, and his size limits him in a fourth line role.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Fantastic news. Good for him.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Froggy wrote:I'm not sure exactly what we'd do with him if he WAS brought back. I think he did a good job for us last year, but he's not a guy I saw as an every day player.
not even on a two way deal? It's what CBJ offered him.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Bummer. I liked him.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

JS© wrote:
Froggy wrote:I'm not sure exactly what we'd do with him if he WAS brought back. I think he did a good job for us last year, but he's not a guy I saw as an every day player.
Well, maybe he wanted to play somewhere where he's more likely to play. I'm not going to fault management for not getting in a bidding war over a fringe nhl guy
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Froggy wrote:
JS© wrote:
Well, maybe he wanted to play somewhere where he's more likely to play. I'm not going to fault management for not getting in a bidding war over a fringe nhl guy
I agree. No need to get in a bidding war for him, but it appears to be the standard one year/two way deal. I can't imagine it being more than a slight raise from his 75k/550k that he made last year.

Maybe there was no interest at all. Maybe he didn't want to come back.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

dodint wrote:Weak. Can't help but feel that will bite us at some inopportune time. Lots of speed leaving town.
He is a dime a dozen fringe nhl player.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yup.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Plan the parade, Columbus.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Capgeek has the deal as 330k/750k. If correct that's some hefty AHL money. Plus a solid shot to make the big club. Good for him.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

We have plenty of Hobbits down in WBS to take his place
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

If Bennett have half od Gibbons' passion Bennott would be a star already... even with the injuries.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

I like Gibbons. I thought he'd be a nice 4th liner/call-up guy for us.

Good luck in Columbus!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

topshelf wrote:I like Gibbons. I thought he'd be a nice 4th liner/call-up guy for us.

Good luck in Columbus!
Ditto!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm happy for him. I think there were far too many on this board that expected far too much from him. He's a great 3rd/4th liner and I would have liked to have him play that role and not be expected to be Crosby's winger, but if he wants to move on, then good for him.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

It's a shame that a smart player leaves the organization. But we do need to get a little tougher to play against. Good luck to him, he's a fine player.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

I feel the Pens keep missing out on good signings.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Hard working little guy who's body has a hard time taking the physicality of the NHL. No real loss.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

I liked Gibby. Extreme speed and can hit that tempo in a millisecond. Could play the PK and with that speed it made him a threat to steal an errant pass and go off to the races with the puck. As a PP guy you had to be aware of that which could detract you from your principle job on the power play. A fourth liner to be sure. But a potentially dangerous one when he becomes better at finishing.

It seems as though the Pens are intent on not resigning guys I like. Think Gibby & especially Nisky (would have let Letang walk and sign Nisky if I was GM) :pop:

Good luck with the Jackets Gibby. :thumb:

BEPF
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

One of the few players that can be called up and asked to fill in on a top line. His speed and skill are evident, just him being small hurts him. Granted he won't get you great point totals but he does have a defensive game.

Good for him, hope he gets a shot.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

no name wrote:One of the few players that can be called up and asked to fill in on a top line. His speed and skill are evident, just him being small hurts him. Granted he won't get you great point totals but he does have a defensive game.

Good for him, hope he gets a shot.
If what he dd was filling in on the top line I guess anyone could do it.