Forget the experts: your picks for worst FA deals

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Forget the experts: your picks for worst FA deals

Post by RisslingsMissingTeeth »

I don't know the intimate details of every player, I'm just stating my opinions, right or wrong. If I say something is bad, I'm saying that these are the ones I think won't return their value the most.

My worst:
1. Orpik - my value, $3M/per 2 years, got 5.5/5 yrs. no comment needed
2. Engo - my value $900K/1 year. got 2.9M/3. no comment needed
3. Iginla - my value 4.5M/2 years (he is 37!), got 5.3/3. benefited playing on an outstanding team that let him stand around much like he tried to do in Pittsburgh. Colorado needs hustle and Jerome increasingly doesn't have it. They are paying a lot for his worst years that are coming. I know they think they are paying for leadership, but that price suggests top line as well. No way.
4. D. Boyle - my value, $3.5M/ 2 years, got $4.5M/2. As Brooks has declined so has Boyle. You aren't getting promise anymore, you are getting age.
5. Stralman - my value $2.5/3 years, got $4.5/5. Is this a joke? What in Stralman's game suggests that he get top 4 pay?

Like I said, just my opinions.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Forget the experts: your picks for worst FA deals

Post by Beveridge »

Bolland, Orpik, Engo, Poliout

Those 4 in some order
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

To me that Engo contract is really bad, but Orpik's new contract is just out of this world bad, I am still in shock he got that long of a term and almost double what most people expected.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BuckintheLou »

The Orpik deal is just awful. Good for Brooksie, but good gosh!
Glad is the Craps that's paying him.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

1a. Engelland
1b. Orpik
3. Iginla
4. Bolland
5. Poulliot
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Dickie Dunn wrote:1a. Engelland
2b. Orpik
3. Iginla
4. Bolland
5. Poulliot
I agree with all of these, though I would put Orpik as 1a and Engelland as 1b, simply because of the length of Orpik's contract. Brooks will slower than cardboard Orpik in the last year of that deal.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

My top 5 are Orpik, Orpik, Orpik, Engo and Orpik.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I don't know the intimate details of every player, I'm just stating my opinions, right or wrong. If I say something is bad, I'm saying that these are the ones I think won't return their value the most.

My worst:
1. Orpik - my value, $3M/per 2 years, got 5.5/5 yrs. no comment needed
2. Engo - my value $900K/1 year. got 2.9M/3. no comment needed
3. Iginla - my value 4.5M/2 years (he is 37!), got 5.3/3. benefited playing on an outstanding team that let him stand around much like he tried to do in Pittsburgh. Colorado needs hustle and Jerome increasingly doesn't have it. They are paying a lot for his worst years that are coming. I know they think they are paying for leadership, but that price suggests top line as well. No way.
4. D. Boyle - my value, $3.5M/ 2 years, got $4.5M/2. As Brooks has declined so has Boyle. You aren't getting promise anymore, you are getting age.
5. Stralman - my value $2.5/3 years, got $4.5/5. Is this a joke? What in Stralman's game suggests that he get top 4 pay?

Like I said, just my opinions.
Stralman's contract is perfectly fine. That's a good deal.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, Engo has to be the worst deal this year, and probably up there with worst deals of all time. I honestly thought he made $700K, and was shocked to see him near league minimum. This is a guy who wasn't an NHL regular until age 28. I'm happy for the guy, don't get me wrong, but talk about a deal out of left field...

Todd Reirden must have some juju, right? :lol:
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Tico Rick wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:1a. Engelland
2b. Orpik
3. Iginla
4. Bolland
5. Poulliot
I agree with all of these, though I would put Orpik as 1a and Engelland as 1b, simply because of the length of Orpik's contract. Brooks will slower than cardboard Orpik in the last year of that deal.
Oops. Should have obviously been 1b, not 2b, but regardless of that, I put Engelland as my 1a because I just don't see him as a legitimate NHL player. He's a defenseman who is better as a 4th line forward, but even then really isn't someone you want in the lineup every night, if at all. Guys like him bounce around the league on one year deals for a million or less, they sure as hell don't get almost $3 million a year for three years. Orpik at least earned that kind of money, the Caps are just 6 years too late.

With that being said, the Orpik deal actually manages to be worse than it appears. I had originally posted this in the Orpik thread in the PR board, but Orpik will also receive $5 million in bonuses from the Caps. $2 million this season and $1 million in 15-16, 16-17, and 17-18. Salary is front loaded with him receiving $6.5 million. Dude made sure he got his money in case he retires at some point during this deal. The contract has a stated value of $27.5 million, but is really worth $32.5 million and Orpik will receive $15 million over the first two seasons.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

I think the Orpik deal will hurt the Caps far more than the Engo deal will the Flames.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Kulemin now gets close to the list, if not smack dab on it. Of course, he was awesome with Geno all those years ago, so his NHL career doesn't matter and the NYI got a steal...
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

A #8 dman who has yet to crack a line up regularly got a 4x raise. I don't know how anything could be worse than the engo deal.

Orpik is pretty bad, though.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

"Kulemin has entered the game"
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

After listening to Calgary's GM on NHL radio, I am now convinced Orpik is the worst deal of the day. The GM basically came right out and said the engo deal was to help them to the cap floor and that they are going to give him a chance with the Flames to earn that paycheck every night. They think he can become a fan favorite type of player and help attendance.

Isn't it great to be a Pens fan!!!!