George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, I think the earliest we'll see Winds of Winter is 2016, perhaps late 2015.

Will you continue to watch the show when it has content that hasn't been in the books yet? I'm not sure if I will...
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I'm starting to hate Martin and reading how his mood and what his feelings are like determines when his books are down.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

the best decision i made was to give up on the books
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

newarenanow wrote:I'm starting to hate Martin and reading how his mood and what his feelings are like determines when his books are down.
I stopped reading with about 100 pages left in FFC and skimmed the end. Ill watch the show exclusively from now on.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

newarenanow wrote:I'm starting to hate Martin and reading how his mood and what his feelings are like determines when his books are down.
Once you accept that the books will be finished in 2020 by someone other than GRRM it's easier.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Rocco wrote:
Once you accept that the books will be finished in 2020 by someone other than GRRM it's easier.
Someone needs to keep feeding him cheeseburgers to speed up the process.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yeah, I think the earliest we'll see Winds of Winter is 2016, perhaps late 2015.

Will you continue to watch the show when it has content that hasn't been in the books yet? I'm not sure if I will...
Yes. I will still read the books, but I'm not convinced he will ever finish them and I'd like to know how the story ends, even if it's an adaptation of what ultimately happens.

Waiting 10 years to find out isn't cool with me.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I can't stress enough how much better it is to read A Ball of Beasts instead of Feast for Crows and then Dance with Dragons sequentially. If you haven't read them in a while do yourself a favor and download the combined books which should be nice and legal as long as you own both already.

Funny thing, I never read Game of Thrones, went to Clash of Kings after S1 was done, will probably start all over again finsihing with Storm of swords in time for Season 5.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I own both but I need the UPCs right? I no longer have the dust jacket for FFC
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

It asked me for words from each book, I think.

It's available in a nice epub for my phone, even with a mocked up cover that fits in with the other covers. Pretty cool...except the 1799 pages part. :lol:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Yup, just asks to finish a sentence or two to get access to the download.

Nice thing about rereading the two together is you know when to skim vs pay attention.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Some minor NSFW.

http://www.realradio.fm/onair/the-phili ... z352utxsDc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

I dont quite understand the cersei and Jamie scene in the finale. Why bring that back?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

For the Titanic fans.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

obhave wrote:I dont quite understand the cersei and Jamie scene in the finale. Why bring that back?
Spoiler:
My guess is to make it look like they've made up so when Cersei starts going bat **** crazy next season, their split is more painful.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

edit: see shad's post below
Last edited by the wicked child on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

Reminds me of how espn highlights music reminds me of tecmo super bowl kickoff return music
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I'm pretty sure TWC posted this, but I'll repost it since it was deleted. I found this awesome

[youtube][/youtube]
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Some TWOW teasers from Martin. Nothing too major, but obviously spoilers. And naturally, no update on the release date.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/06/26/geo ... ter-tease/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Also, once again in regards to the "missing" scene from the finale...
Spoiler:
Saw an interview with Michelle Fairley that made it sound not too encouraging that we will be seeing Lady Stoneheart in the future. I'll be pretty disappointed if this turns out to be the case. I realize that they can't fit everything from the books, but she is kind of a big part of Brienne's story (and probably Jaime's in the next book)... it's a great :scared: for the show, and who doesn't want to see some Freys hung?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I can't even fathom leaving her out altogether. Having her make an appearance to end an episode would be perfect and generate even more buzz for a show that's already anticipated as much if not more than any other show out there.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

the wicked child wrote:Also, once again in regards to the "missing" scene from the finale...
Spoiler:
Saw an interview with Michelle Fairley that made it sound not too encouraging that we will be seeing Lady Stoneheart in the future. I'll be pretty disappointed if this turns out to be the case. I realize that they can't fit everything from the books, but she is kind of a big part of Brienne's story (and probably Jaime's in the next book)... it's a great :scared: for the show, and who doesn't want to see some Freys hung?
Spoiler:
he was very vague about it. he said that the character was dead. well, duh. that doesnt really say one way or the other.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:Also, once again in regards to the "missing" scene from the finale...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
They have changed actors of big supporting characters already, seeing as how she's essentially a zombie and has a raspy voice just get an old skinny irish lady in a red wig, which I think even in the books her hair was white by now by whatever
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

That would be extremely disappointing.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i think it was one of the directors or whatever that said it wasn't added because it would create an imbalance between realism and fantasy. while yes, it's a little heavy handed when you think about dragons, zombies and other forms of re-animation. but whatever. it's entertaining and it's in the source material. it should have been in there.