George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by PensFanInDC »

Haven't watched yet. Please tell me there is at least some sort of reference to the best line in the entire series. Something about a certain someone's ability (or lack there of) to defecate a precious metal....
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Haven't watched yet. Please tell me there is at least some sort of reference to the best line in the entire series. Something about a certain someone's ability (or lack there of) to defecate a precious metal....
Nope.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

blackjack68 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Haven't watched yet. Please tell me there is at least some sort of reference to the best line in the entire series. Something about a certain someone's ability (or lack there of) to defecate a precious metal....
Nope.
We'll probably get that line next season.

One thing that I am REALLY glad that they left out of that scene...
Spoiler:
The Tysha stuff. We have just been spared Tyrion wandering around Essos muttering "wherever whores go" endlessly. Thank you, D&D.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Yeah but they should have revealed the truth about her. It's important and would have made the scene even more poignant. It was disappointing they didn't go there.

Also the absence of you know who was disappointing. Would have slayed as a closing scene.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Eh, I think from a show standpoint it wasn't necessary, and I hated where that went in the books. I'll bet the majority of non-readers wouldn't even remember who Tysha was.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Nope.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It seems that there are a lot of people with their panties in a bunch over the appearance of Blood Raven. Gee, I wonder why the show didn't want to have to cgi in a branch through his eye every time he was on screen just so a few readers would be happy.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

shmenguin wrote:Yeah but they should have revealed the truth about her. It's important and would have made the scene even more poignant. It was disappointing they didn't go there.

Also the absence of you know who was disappointing. Would have slayed as a closing scene.
Was it meant to imply that Shae was betraying Tyrion the whole time? Because it kind of played that way but doesn't really make sense in the context of Tywin and Cersei just finding out about her this season. Though she was at Tywin's camp in season 1 so he may have known her the whole time...

An absolute jaw-dropping, killer episode. I'm still shaking from that ending. I thought for sure GRRM was going to rip my heart out by making it look like Tyrion would escape and then having him caught at the last second.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Did
Spoiler:
Jojen Reed
die at that point in the book? I can't recall, but I didn't think so.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I didn't think so either. That's a strange diversion.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

blackjack68 wrote:Did
Spoiler:
Jojen Reed
Spoiler:
Both Reeds are well alive at the end of Dance with Dragons still
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re:

Post by DelPen »

PensFanInDC wrote:Maaaan can that guy write about food. Ive read the 4 he's got out now and I have yet to pick up some of his other work. Good stuff but its been so long since Ive read anything about whats going on up north (Jon, Bran etc.) and with Daenerys that Im lost and would have to re-read them all just to catch up. Not sure Ill grab the 5th book.......but then again Im in it this far.

Rumor is that Game of Thrones is set to be a series on HBO....
And this is why it's taking **** forever to get these books done. There is half a page at some point with Cersei wanting a boar but the kitchen not having one so they made a pig instead. It wasn't even setting up a "Pycelle is a bore" joke. I thought at first he was illustrating how things were great before the wars or a difference of classes but at this point we get it. Just tell the story.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

So for you non-book readers, pretty much everything interesting that happened in the last 2 seasons of the show happened in one half of one book. I don't know if I'll ever read something so bonkers ever again.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Did
Spoiler:
Jojen Reed
Spoiler:
Both Reeds are well alive at the end of Dance with Dragons still
Spoiler:
They're alive, but I thought that Jojen was in really bad shape. At any rate, I'm not sure if it matters in terms of the show... the Reed's goal was to get Bran to the three-eyed raven. Now that they have, their purpose is kind of done.

We could perhaps infer that this means he doesn't have anything of great importance to do in the remaining books, but with the way Martin likes to drag these things out, who knows.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Staggy wrote:Was it meant to imply that Shae was betraying Tyrion the whole time? Because it kind of played that way but doesn't really make sense in the context of Tywin and Cersei just finding out about her this season. Though she was at Tywin's camp in season 1 so he may have known her the whole time...

An absolute jaw-dropping, killer episode. I'm still shaking from that ending. I thought for sure GRRM was going to rip my heart out by making it look like Tyrion would escape and then having him caught at the last second.
There is a lot of debate out there as to whether or not Shae was a plant of Tywin all along. It's certainly possible, though we'll never know for sure.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

shmenguin wrote:Yeah but they should have revealed the truth about her. It's important and would have made the scene even more poignant. It was disappointing they didn't go there.

Another message board I frequent had a ton of posters complaining about them cutting the conversation between Jamie and Tyrion about Tysha. As a non-reader, I completely forgot (and I'm not sure I even knew to begin with) that Tyrion was previously married.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Tysha was mentioned briefly during the Tyrion-Shae-Bronn drinking game in season 1. That was it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Well whether or not they should have included that story, there should have been more than a few seconds of Tyrion in this episode before he was freed. It was like the viper/mountain thing. They crammed the biggest story and the best characters into the last few minutes without any build up to "the main event".

It's pretty simple. Finish the wildling story last week and both episodes are drastically improved. I don't like complaining about this show since it is really great, but I don't think they finished the season very strong - despite having the strongest source material.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

3/4 through ball of beasts. With parts kind of already touched on in season 4 I don't see how they get more than 1 season out of the two books. Winds of Winter better be amazing.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DelPen wrote:3/4 through ball of beasts. With parts kind of already touched on in season 4 I don't see how they get more than 1 season out of the two books. Winds of Winter better be amazing.
Spoiler:
regarding who will be up to speed by the end of next season:

definitely:
-jamie
-sansa (she's already there, right?)
-bran
-brienne

probably:
-arya
-sam
-theon and the boltons
-jon snow
-stannis

iffy:
-dany (please please please skip the martell suitor)
-tyrion (mereen is a long way for him to go in one season, but if he doesn't get there next year, how the hell are they going to stretch the dany stuff out? playing the "who should i marry" game for 10+ episodes isn't going to cut it)
-cersei (though i think they'd do well to cram her whole arc into one season. otherwise, king's landing is going to be agonizing to watch).

and regarding the cersei story...i suppose there's little doubt who robert strong is at this point.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I liked the skeletons that popped up from the ground. Really well done (Army of Darkness 2 should take note). little part of me was expecting cold hands to show up and save the day...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

fivethirtyeight.com weighs in on when Winds of Winter will be published using, among other things, Martin's "moods" per his LiveJournal blog:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/pre ... next-book/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:
DelPen wrote:3/4 through ball of beasts. With parts kind of already touched on in season 4 I don't see how they get more than 1 season out of the two books. Winds of Winter better be amazing.
Thoughts in the spoiler tag
Spoiler:

definitely:
-jamie: not much to do except take river run back since he already set Brienne out
-sansa (she's already there, right?): The last she does is come down from the Eyrie so they need to create something for her to do
-bran: he gets to the caves and starts looking through the trees, not much to do
-brienne: already set out and met Pod, just needs to meet up with the bloody mummers and Thoros's crew and Stoneheart

probably:
-arya: she has a pretty good story arc in Braavos but it can all be resolved
-sam: goes to the Citadel, not much else
-theon and the boltons: already took Moat Cailin, just the wedding and Winterfell
-jon snow: not a lot left either there, they changed up so much little things but again, not a lot to do except manage wildlings coming across the wall
-stannis: go to wall, leave wall, blizzard, yawn.

iffy:
-dany (please please please skip the martell suitor): there's not much left for her to do but I think they will need to pace it for Tyrion's sake considering there is the big war in Meereen in WoW. will probably see less of her or just invent something as filler, I'm trying to think of a bigger budget scene though than Drogon in the fighting pit
-tyrion (mereen is a long way for him to go in one season, but if he doesn't get there next year, how the hell are they going to stretch the dany stuff out? playing the "who should i marry" game for 10+ episodes isn't going to cut it): agree, Pentos and the journey down the Ryhone should be enough, there's a lot to do with Griff and Aegon and flushing that out and it's going to be important. End his story with Jorah finding him at the brothel and then you have the trip to Mereen and slavery, et.
-cersei (though i think they'd do well to cram her whole arc into one season. otherwise, king's landing is going to be agonizing to watch).: They can cut a ton of filler. They can highlight her stupid decisions with one small council meeting, she plots to frame Margery quickly, don't need a lot of detail, and then her problems with the High Septon. You can probably devote 10-15 minutes an episode on average to the crap in Kings Landing and cover all of it adequately.

and regarding the cersei story...i suppose there's little doubt who robert strong is at this point.: that would make a decent ending to the season, the walk of shame and Robert Strong standing there

Overall though, everything can be sorted out except for Mereen only because Tyrion does so much without a lot of text because Martin doesn't add stupid, useless filler. and if you don't get him to Mereen you can't finish Dany's story in one season.

Not sure how much they will focus on Dorne, I think they are a red herring for now, unless there's something huge involving Myrcella they can skip all of that stuff.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Spoiler:

definitely:
-jamie: not much to do except take river run back since he already set Brienne out
-sansa (she's already there, right?): The last she does is come down from the Eyrie so they need to create something for her to do
-bran: he gets to the caves and starts looking through the trees, not much to do
-brienne: already set out and met Pod, just needs to meet up with the bloody mummers and Thoros's crew and Stoneheart

probably:
-theon and the boltons: already took Moat Cailin, just the wedding and Winterfell
-jon snow: not a lot left either there, they changed up so much little things but again, not a lot to do except manage wildlings coming across the wall

iffy:
-dany (please please please skip the martell suitor): there's not much left for her to do but I think they will need to pace it for Tyrion's sake considering there is the big war in Meereen in WoW. will probably see less of her or just invent something as filler, I'm trying to think of a bigger budget scene though than Drogon in the fighting pit
-tyrion (mereen is a long way for him to go in one season, but if he doesn't get there next year, how the hell are they going to stretch the dany stuff out? playing the "who should i marry" game for 10+ episodes isn't going to cut it): agree, Pentos and the journey down the Ryhone should be enough, there's a lot to do with Griff and Aegon and flushing that out and it's going to be important. End his story with Jorah finding him at the brothel and then you have the trip to Mereen and slavery, et.
-cersei (though i think they'd do well to cram her whole arc into one season. otherwise, king's landing is going to be agonizing to watch).: They can cut a ton of filler. They can highlight her stupid decisions with one small council meeting, she plots to frame Margery quickly, don't need a lot of detail, and then her problems with the High Septon. You can probably devote 10-15 minutes an episode on average to the crap in Kings Landing and cover all of it adequately.

and regarding the cersei story...i suppose there's little doubt who robert strong is at this point.: that would make a decent ending to the season, the walk of shame and Robert Strong standing there

Overall though, everything can be sorted out except for Mereen only because Tyrion does so much without a lot of text because Martin doesn't add stupid, useless filler. and if you don't get him to Mereen you can't finish Dany's story in one season.

Not sure how much they will focus on Dorne, I think they are a red herring for now, unless there's something huge involving Myrcella they can skip all of that stuff.
the show is really going out on it's own spoiling things in the book down the road (and those we haven't found out yet). Wonder how that will play out in future books?
Spoiler:
with Jojen being killed, is that GRRM basically admitting that nothing will continue to happen with his character until he dies in the book?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

eddysnake wrote:
DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Spoiler:

definitely:

probably:

iffy:

the show is really going out on it's own spoiling things in the book down the road (and those we haven't found out yet). Wonder how that will play out in future books?
Spoiler:
with Jojen being killed, is that GRRM basically admitting that nothing will continue to happen with his character until he dies in the book?
that's what i was wondering. same with pip and grenn. it will be weird reading about them in the next book.