Formula 1 thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Re: Formula 1 thread

Post by OutofFoil »

Nice video tif, I'll definitely be watching next Sunday. I'm sure you can see why I can't wait to get these contract negotiations moving quicker to get my butt over here. Such a beautiful place. Pretty sweet animation, detail is impeccable, down to the sponsors name on the grandstand they just put up recently... I'm trying to convince work I need to stick around another week and house hunt and if they wanted to give me a sponsors ticket, it would be greatly appreciated. They're not buying it though. I tried to play the, "it would make up a bit for the dirty trick of telling me I was gonna drive on the track" card, but the, "I'm the boss and I'm going because I live here and have waited a long time to see this again" card trumps it every time
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I've been busy these last few days, but totally jealous of your tour, OoF. Thanks for the writeup.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Yeah, but that's still a d|ck move keeping you out of the Xbow.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Not a problem, that's what this place is for. Sharing information on mutually enjoyable subjects when one is bored and can't sleep because of jetlag, right? I'm at the point now where I'm about to say to heck with trying to adjust since I leave Friday. Sleep is overrated anyway right? Oh and poop, this place is also for talking about poop. Wait a minute, wrong thread.

I will have pics up soon, just got to get them to photobucket first.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

It was payback for me promising him that I'd let him drive my Porsche and then selling it 2 days before he finally got to Pittsburgh and not telling him I sold it until he got there, I deserved it. He's actually a pretty good boss. We joke around often, it is the mining industry after all. He's the guy who encourages me to schedule an extra day for myself when I go to someplace fun and enjoy it for at least a day on his dime.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Any affiliation with the Mine Safety and Health Administration? Toying with the idea of applying to work there as an IT guy.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

When I move here, I'll get on the track. Open track, usually once a week. €40 for 30 min in whatever you bring. Can you say exotic rental and track day?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Rental agencies usually put spotters at those things, so be careful.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

Obviously never rented an exotic, would just read the fine print to see if it says anything about no track or be stupid with my car allowance that gets me a new skoda free (not a nice one) and kick in the extra bucks to get an evo or something like that. I've got a bit of experience on the 4g63, albeit in a 92 Eclipse, but, I was able to eke slightly over 500 HP out of it in an AWD 3,100 lb platform with no weight reduction, daily driver. I would have loved to have that car on this track. 11.1s 1/4 mile @ 134 was my best and I couldn't hit full potential since the launch liked to twist the 30mm output shaft of the xfer case in half, so I had to run a conservative tune. That was the beauty of that car, pull into a parking lot, load a different saved tune, 500hp, watch the fuel gauge drop along with most in my rear view. Pull off, load my screwaround tune of approx 320hp, still be fast, but get 27mpg.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I only say that because I've researched my Nordschleife trips a few times and they have full time spotters that hang out there ID'ing cars all day. I imagine other venues like that do it as well.

500hp '92 Eclipse? Awesome value.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

tifosi77 wrote:Speaking of.....

Loic Duval had a heavy shunt in practice at la Sarthe. I haven't seen video, but it looks like the car ran over a land mine made of hydrogen bombs. (Apparently the car got airborne and crashed into the catch fencing.) His further participation in this year's race has been canceled by the docs. Audi have named his replacement for the weekend: Marc Gene. The Ferrari driver.

Granted, he's only a tester for the Scuderia. And he is Audi's reserve driver, after all. But still.... will no doubt stoke the Ferrari to LMP1 rumors some more.
Hard to believe Kristensen will be the only returning driver from the defending champs. I still can't wrap my head around McNish not being in this race.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

He's like a hundred years old.

(Okay, 44, not exactly Scott Pruett territory yet)
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

dodint wrote:I only say that because I've researched my Nordschleife trips a few times and they have full time spotters that hang out there ID'ing cars all day. I imagine other venues like that do it as well.
Nice, good looking out. Although I could just go north to zee autobahn with it also... What a boring job that would be.
dodint wrote:500hp '92 Eclipse? Awesome value.
Yes, yes it was. Started as my senior design project in college. I did most of the machining and my friend and I did all the wrenching/tuning. Very cheap, almost super car performance.

The parts list:

The car: good body, blown motor $750

Motor bottom:

.020 over JE forged pistons $400 on Eagle stroker rods (2.4L displacement instead of 2.0) ~$350. ARP rod bolts $75

Motor top:

ported/polished head Free! 1mm os stainless valves $250. BC 272 cams with BC titanium beehive springs/retainers. Guessing $1k. ARP head studs. $150 Cheap ass felpro head gasket (was my "fuse", bad things happen $50 part and 2 hours to fix instead of blowing holes in expensive pistons)

Turbo:

Junkyard Holset HX40 $250 (from dodge cummins diesel pickup). Cast iron exhaust manifold to fit head and T3/T4 turbo $300 (couldn't spring for the custom equal length stainless pretty one). Cheap Chinese cx racing front mount intercooler and 3" piping $400ish ( can't remember dimensions, but had to cut bumper supports to make it fit.). Stainless o2 sensor housing and used 3" stainless down pipe and exhaust with a functional fart can. ($300). Ran 38 PSI, controlled by a Home Depot made manual boost controller ($50), used HKS blowoff valve with open dump ($50), loud as hell.

Fuel:

Walbro 255L/hr fuel pump $(200) feeding 1150cc/min injectors ($500), controlled by a piggyback system on my ecu that connected to my laptop called DSMlink ($600). <insert stupid F&F "danger to manifold" reference here>

Transmission/clutch. Stock transmission rebuilt by Shep racing in Columbus (he ran 7's in his talon and knew how to build a bombproof tranny that still did the 1/2 shift like butter ($3k, ouch, but got tired of grenading them and changing one without a lift sucked) Tilton twin disc carbon/carbon clutch and aluminum flywheel ($1300ish).

Suspension: KYB adjustables with Eibach springs ($700, not great by miles above stock)

Brakes: early 90 model year "big brake" calipers (junkyard) cross drilled rotors (I forget) and ebc pads.

Appearance: stock wheels, faded stock paint, only thing that gave me away was the fart can and the triple gauge pod on my a pillar. Oh and the two step if someone wanted to play at the light, that was a dead giveaway.

Launched that sucker at 3900 rpm, when it built around 15 psi. That clutch was like an on/off switch! Launch any higher, 4wd burnout or output shaft carnage, any lower bog city, but the two step integrated into DSMlink made it idiotproof. On the road it loved wot from 3500 up to 8300. If I didn't stroke it, could of went to 9500.

I miss it so, but was tuning on a long straight stretch of back road to get the right amount of fuel to it at wot in 5th, stupid, but went by a cop with the speedo buried (it went to 145 :shock: ) so I just kept going, got in the twisty back roads and took it to my friends garage where a sale that didn't hurt the financial side too bad was done in a week.

Now I'm married and drive a company Taurus and my wife drives a 2004 Altima with the 3.5 sport package (for sale cheap since I'm moving in the near future.)

Total: ~$11k without whatever I forgot/broke along the way along with a lot of hard work and knowledge.

I will return with an evo or STI once I settle in a place long enough to get a house and a garage. More than likely an evo since I'm familiar with it, although I think I'd like to play with an older M3. Had a buddy find one with engine issues cheap and yanked to problem child out and dropped and LS in it :roll: The rear end on the M did not like.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

Photo Album from the track as promised:

http://s742.photobucket.com/user/mbilye ... une%202014

The bar next to the podium was pretty awesome, the bar itself was all carbon fiber! I also let a big one rip into the cushy leather chair to leave my mark and class the place up a bit. :-)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Is it me, or does it seem like there have been an awful lot of practice shunts at le Mans this year?
dodint wrote:I only say that because I've researched my Nordschleife trips a few times and they have full time spotters that hang out there ID'ing cars all day. I imagine other venues like that do it as well.
Did you drive the 'Ring? Buddy that I used to work with has 1.4 laps under his belt; he was invited to leave early for ignoring yellow flags.
OutofFoil wrote:Photo Album from the track as promised:
Excellent! Thanks for sharing these.

There's one photo of a placard that read "PROJEKT SPIELBERG GMBH & CO KG 1.0 G" What does "1.0 G" maen?? Are those the floors of the building those rooms are on?
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

They're floor numbers, I think. All the offices, lounges, control room, etc are on the 1st floor, above the garages and medical center. I have no idea what the G means.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

The German word for floor (storey) is 'Geschoß'.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

That would explain it, shows how well Rosetta Stone is working for me. I am only on level zwei though.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

TBH, that should be a level eins word. :lol:
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

tifosi77 wrote:
Did you drive the 'Ring? Buddy that I used to work with has 1.4 laps under his belt; he was invited to leave early for ignoring yellow flags.
Researched only. :(

If I take the Stuttgardt assignment next year I plan to leave my mark all over Europe. Nordschliefe, Spa, whatever else I can get my tires on. Thinking about buying an M235i when I get there and then shipping it home when my assignment ends. I took a look at one the other day and the dimensions are almost exactly the same as my E36 (well, it's probably heavier) so I know it's workable.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

tifosi77 wrote:TBH, that should be a level eins word. :lol:
Ich bin ein dumkopf. (When it comes to languages). Math and science is a different story.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

No one watching 24HR LM?

I got fed up with the Fox Sports 1/2 coverage and taught myself how to setup a media server and now I'm serving the uninterrupted world feed to my PS3. I lose a little resolution but it's the way the race was meant to be watched.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Thats better than watching the Swedish Eurosport feed, where I can't understand a word they said...except for a time last night. Apparently there's no Swedish equivalent to "Gentleman Driver," and they must have said it about 25 times in a three minute span.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

hah.

Kind of underwhelmed by 24LM this year. When the cars have to pull over and 'reboot' several times a race I think the world of motorsport may have passed me by.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Schumi out of a coma, and leaving the hospital. Some good news, but I feel like since they didn't make a more detailed statement about his condition that he still has limited function.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/16/sport ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;