Kings/Rangers

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Kings/Rangers

Post by canaan »

Richards has been better than good.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, this year was Richards only poor year really. He just kept getting knocked down the depth chart. If one poor season overshadows several good or better ones to make a player "bad" now, well, then so be it. But I'm not sure I get the impression that Richards is done or anything...I just think that sometimes players just don't have very good years. The guys that wholly avoid bad years are generally named like Bourque and Howe...
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Speaking of bad years, you're failure to put up a conn smythe tracker this entire playoff season will go down in the record books.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, this year was Richards only poor year really. He just kept getting knocked down the depth chart. If one poor season overshadows several good or better ones to make a player "bad" now, well, then so be it. But I'm not sure I get the impression that Richards is done or anything...I just think that sometimes players just don't have very good years. The guys that wholly avoid bad years are generally named like Bourque and Howe...
Really? Richards has been on the decline the last 3 years at this point in terms of his value vs. contract. I don't see any reason the Kings don't buy him out this summer. He's a 4th liner for them and they don't need him or his contract. He's done with the Kings and I don't expect other teams to be screaming after him, unless those teams are named Nashville and Florida.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

there's demand for richards in this league. he would be a good 3rd line center almost anywhere. but does being a good 3rd line center make you "good"? statistically, it puts you right at average amongst NHL centers. and the fact that he's on a downward trend isn't helping anything.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

So guys are saying the Pens should get him to be their 3rd line center?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Troy Loney wrote:So guys are saying the Pens should get him to be their 3rd line center?
i'd be fine with him as our 3rd line center on a reduced contract.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I think Richards is getting a bad rap above. He's played pretty good hockey all but this season really. He was used on the PP a lot in ther past and did well, but didn't collect on the points because of the way it was structured (unless tertiary assists become a thing soon) and the Kings believe in duos over whole lines, so on that front, Richie has been kind of a wayward son but he's also versatile enough to fit into a lot of different roles and not miss a beat.

I'd be surprised if they had to resort to buying him out. I think if they wanted to move on from him they could do it via trade. I'm probably the loudest poster when it comes to the effects of "heavy miles" on players, but I really don't think it's Richards' time for complete collapse yet...I think - and I hate to use this word - he's a solid (*cringe*) hockey player...
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

What's the most games played by one team to win the Cup in the playoffs? (ie. Kings will have 26 out of the 28 possible playoff games if they win game 5).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

That ^
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

mikey287 wrote:That ^
Thanks. I know with Game 5, the NHL will set a record for the most playoff games in a playoff year with 93, surpassing the 92 played in 1991. I didn't know what it was for individual team.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I think the '87 Flyers (and maybe one other club, if memory serves, the '04 Flames) played 26 but each lost in game 7 of the Final...