George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by columbia »

So how are the Unsuillied so bulked up/cut if they don't have any testosterone?
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Supplements, brah.
Spoiler:
Do you even lift?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

GoT has now officially passed The Sopranos as HBO's most popular show of all time.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/05/game- ... s-ratings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I remember when people were worried if a show like GoT would catch on with the general public.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

columbia wrote:So how are the Unsuillied so bulked up/cut if they don't have any testosterone?
Ask dion phaneuf
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

SolidSnake wrote:
DelPen wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:So just assuming
Spoiler:
The mountain is dead? cause after he killed the Viper, he rolled over and laid back down like he was, so didn't both lose and it be considered a draw?
Spoiler:
He's not dead but Oberyn's spear was poisoned so he migth as well be, what happens next is much worse :)
Wonder if they will mention that in the next episode or the season finale?
Spoiler:
Since the finale should be mostly in Kings Landing I would think they will have a scene where they can hear Clegane's screams from the Small Council meeting and then have Cersei ask Qyburn to take him to the black cells for "treatment"
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

By coincidence I have the day off after the finale. I just stopped to buy the last available book on my way home tonight - I fully plan on sitting at the pool all day and reading away.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

columbia wrote:So how are the Unsuillied so bulked up/cut if they don't have any testosterone?
The books say that some of them do get fat, since the only vice they really have left is food. They do take some sort of elixir that eliminates their ability to feel pain. Maybe in the TV show they buy that stuff from BALCO.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Looking ahead, since Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons is just one big huge story, is there a good breaking point to stop for next season and then wrap up the rest with Winds of Winter?

Or is there so much crap we can by trim out a lot to just get one season?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Everything that I've read seems to indicate that they will cover the remaining material next season. Some characters are just about caught up already (Sansa, Bran).

My biggest question going into Season 5:
Spoiler:
Will they dip into the material that was left out of ADWD at all? In particular, the two battles that it leads up to and never happen.

I'll be surprised if one of these doesn't make its way into episode 9 or 10 next season since otherwise they will have two major battles to deal with at the beginning of season 6... Plus I am going out on a limb and assuming there will be at least one major battle in the WOW material they will undoubtedly be covering at that point.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Of course, one of the biggest points of contention atm is whether or not they will go beyond 7 seasons. Everything I've read from D&D points to that being their goal. If they determine that 7 will be not enough to finish properly, we might see an 8th... but I feel like that is largely their ball at this point.

From what I've read, for them to do an 8th season, they would have to sign new contracts for all of the actors who were there since Season 1, which could be extremely costly. (assuming they dont all die prior to that in the story. As sick as Martin is, I am fairly certain that at least 2 in particular will be there).

Martin has constantly been floating the idea of movies to finish off the story, and I just don't see it. Why would HBO want the end of what is now their most watched show (legal and illegal) to play out anywhere but HBO? Also, the cost of a movie is significantly higher than that of a tv show... a lot more risk there. The actors/actresses would really have them over a barrel too because they could pretty much ask for anything and they would have to do it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

If helms deep was a lopsided, unorganized, grizzly, no white knight riding in display, it would've been this.

If the director, who iirc did the black water epi, refrained from the jj abramsesque digi zoom or whatever you want to call it, I would've enjoyed 100%. Either way, I loved that it was one story for the whole get.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

canaan wrote:If helms deep was a lopsided, unorganized, grizzly, no white knight riding in display, it would've been this.

If the director, who iirc did the black water epi, refrained from the jj abramsesque digi zoom or whatever you want to call it, I would've enjoyed 100%. Either way, I loved that it was one story for the whole get.
I first noticed that zoom in Battlestar Galactica. Still seems weird and unnatural to me. Regardless of that, loved the episode.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I like the zoom thingy.

I expected more closure tonight for some reason.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

I definitely expected more.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

blackjack68 wrote:I definitely expected more.
The episode was well made. I just don't think a full episode should be devoted to a battle that leaves you not far from where you started.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Aaand, sure enough, I reached the weekly point in the Westeros forums where I can't read it anymore.

The episode and the show are ruined for some because

*book spoilers*
Spoiler:
Stannis didn't ride in to save the day at the end of the episode, even though, in the books, he doesn't arrive until Jon meets with Mance. Also it's been strongly hinted in episode 10's description that it will happen then, so they built up high expectations for no reason.
That was one of the best medieval-type battle sequences ever put on film considering the limited budget.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I enjoyed the episode. I think that I would have enjoyed it more if they had just finished off the Wall story line in that episode, but that hardly "ruins" anything for me.

I am, however, getting tired of the show routinely ending well before 10. I know the finale is supposed to be a bit over an hour, but c'mon man!
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

the wicked child wrote:I enjoyed the episode. I think that I would have enjoyed it more if they had just finished off the Wall story line in that episode, but that hardly "ruins" anything for me.

I am, however, getting tired of the show routinely ending well before 10. I know the finale is supposed to be a bit over an hour, but c'mon man!

I kind of expected them to end the Wall story tonight too especially considering that there's still quite a bit to get to in the final episode.

Ending before 10 is annoying me too. It seems that they're doing this to all of their shows just to get 7 minutes of advertisements for their other shows in.
Spangler wrote: That was one of the best medieval-type battle sequences ever put on film considering the limited budget.

I would agree, very well shot and very intense.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

the wicked child wrote:I enjoyed the episode. I think that I would have enjoyed it more if they had just finished off the Wall story line in that episode, but that hardly "ruins" anything for me.

That (the shorter eps) is my only complaint. Take off the recap, the front and end credits, and you're basically at 45 min an episode now. I know that's "normal" for most 1 hour dramas, but for a story like this where you have to wait 8 months between the already limited seasons and you'd really think they could fill out an entire hour each week when it does air.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The wooly mammoth was pretty awesome, but I'm glad that this series (so far) isn't about epic battles.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

At first we thought Gilly had chopped up the bald dude who was hiding with her. When Sam came to get her at the end she grabbed a pigs leg or something and it totally looked human to me for a second.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I was bored throughout the ep.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

slappybrown wrote:I was bored throughout the ep.
a popular sentiment amongst critics this morning seems to be, "cool battle, but who cares?"

the plight of the white wall seems to be the unwanted step child of the GoT universe.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

shmenguin wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I was bored throughout the ep.
a popular sentiment amongst critics this morning seems to be, "cool battle, but who cares?"

the plight of the white wall seems to be the unwanted step child of the GoT universe.
I liked it in the books. Last night was just tedious. Its also jarring because of the way the show is usually consumed -- multiple locations with multiple story lines. At around 930 I realized they weren't doing anything else but the Wall.

Was the Blackwater ep King's Landing exclusively?