*** Wars of Beleriand Game Thread ***

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: *** Wars of Beleriand Game Thread ***

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I think the random.org has been used for alterior motives so often that everyone thinks the creator of one is red.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The solution, of course, is to do it via Youtube from now on.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

What needed to happen in order to form the Union of Maedhros?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Well, for starters, we would've had to have given MR25 more benefit of the doubt. Whoops. ;)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:What needed to happen in order to form the Union of Maedhros?
It wouldn't have happened in the game, I don't think.
- The Union of Maedhros was intended to be a last-ditch effort of the Elves vs. Morgoth and would have come about if 1) you were still alive, 2) no more than three of the combined Houses of Fingolfin and Feanor were alive, and 3) at least two of the Enemy were still alive. The Union was what you thought it would be: free communication via PM.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

- mac5155 as Morgoth had an extraordinary power. He had four opposing Seers. If any of them had investigated him, he would have CAPTURED each one. Each would have maintained his/her power and would still be able to communicate with teammates, but would be a Spy of Morgoth, working solely for an Enemy victory. Wow. Think of it.

- canaan's ASSASSINATION power is one I like and have used before (in my Sherwood Wars). In both cases, however, it was wasted since RANDOM gave the power to players who are often killed early (in Sherwood it was shafnutz). It's a shame that players are usually automatically killed based on reputation as opposed to what's going on in the game.

- The Union of Maedhros was intended to be a last-ditch effort of the Elves vs. Morgoth and would have come about if 1) Maedhros was still alive, 2) no more than three of the combined Houses of Fingolfin and Feanor were alive, and 3) at least two of the Enemy were still alive. The Union granted free communication via PM.

- The Silmarils really meant nothing other than to give Feanor's House a secondary goal. I wanted to try the idea that after the standard defeat of the baddies, some of the goodies would still have something to play for. I was hoping that the baddies might get defeated and then Feanor's House would start killing good guys. Fun.

- Feanor's House was village-centered except for them gaining the Silmarils. So if The Enemy died and they gained the Silmarils, the surviving village still would have won.

- Beren-Luthien: if Beren found Luthien, both would get resurrected if they died, but with no powers, no House, no PMs, no Silmarils.

- Finrod-Barahir: if Finrod found Barahir, Finrod would get a day save and Barahir would get a night kill.

Lessee, anything else?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

Vig kills rotated betewwen us after our initial shot?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Just wanted to say thanks for the game redwill. I enjoyed the LOTR movies and based on this game I went out and bought the Silmarilion because I found the stories that I researched to be interesting.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, when I clear out my que of stuff I'm reading I might pick up the book as well. Which is saying a lot for me.

My thing is I'm awful with names in real life, and also in movies/books, so I think it won't go well without having to stop and wiki all the time.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Kaizer wrote:Vig kills rotated betewwen us after our initial shot?
Yep. Skipped over folks who were dead.

The rotation was

- Feanor
- Enemy (alone of the factions, The Enemy had their kill power transfer if the Killer died. From Glaurung to Morgoth to Sauron to Gothmog. But they were all dead by the time the second go-'round came.)
- Fingolfin
- Doriath
- Men
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Real shame the reds got decimated before the capture or assassination mechanisms could be put into play. Would've really turned out differently.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Re: colors

- I wanted to make The Enemy black (Morgoth's shield was "sable, unblazoned"), but that doesn't work well with the default color scheme of the board, as in Morgoth.

- House of Feanor I've already explained.

- Fingolfin's banners were "blue and silver" so light blue was the color.

- Doriath was forest-folk, so dark green.

- Men were iffy, since they were a mixture of Houses of the Edain. I finally went with yellow, 'cause of a kinda vaguely Scandinavian, blond-haired warrior motif.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for the game redwill. I enjoyed the LOTR movies and based on this game I went out and bought the Silmarilion because I found the stories that I researched to be interesting.
Don't get caught up in the first couple of sections, Ainulindalë and Valaquenta. I mean, it's important stuff for the narrative, but can lead a reader to say WTF???

The real action starts with Quenta Silmarillion, which is what this game is based on.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

redwill wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for the game redwill. I enjoyed the LOTR movies and based on this game I went out and bought the Silmarilion because I found the stories that I researched to be interesting.
Don't get caught up in the first couple of sections, Ainulindalë and Valaquenta. I mean, it's important stuff for the narrative, but can lead a reader to say WTF???

The real action starts with Quenta Silmarillion, which is what this game is based on.
Yeah. I struggled through that stuff. It's still taking me some time to get used to his writing style but I'm really enjoying it now that I am into the Quenta.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Just a final few words. The best tale IMO is that of Túrin Turambar, Master of Doom, Dread Helm of Dor-lomin, The Mormegil, The Black Sword of Nargothrond, Neithan, The Wronged, Glaurung's Bane.

But it's pretty depressing. Morgoth's curse upon the House of Húrin caused a lot of nastiness. It's pretty epic in its depressive-ness.

The tale of Beren and Luthien is pretty cool, too, though. A snippet from when Beren, a Man, came before Thingol, Elven King of Doriath, to seek Thingol's permission for Beren get it on with Lúthien Tinúviel, Thingol's daughter:
Spoiler:
Then Beren looking up beheld the eyes of Lúthien, and his glance went also to the face of Melian and it seemed to him that words were put into his mouth. Fear left him, and the pride of the eldest house of Men returned to him; and he said: "My fate, O King, led me hither, through perils such as few even of the Elves would dare. And here I have found what I sought not indeed, but finding I would possess for ever. For it is above all gold and silver, and beyond all jewels. Neither rock, nor steel, nor the fires of Morgoth, nor all the powers of the Elf-kingdoms, shall keep from me the treasure that I desire. For Lúthien your daughter is the fairest of all the Children of the World."

Then silence fell upon the hall, for those that stood there were astounded and afraid, and they thought that Beren would be slain. But Thingol spoke slowly, saying: "Death you have earned with these words; and death you should find suddenly, had I not sworn an oath in haste; of which I repent, baseborn mortal, who in the realm of Morgoth has learned to creep in secret as his spies and thralls."

Then Beren answered: "Death you can give me earned or unearned; but the names I will not take from you are baseborn, nor spy, nor thrall. By the Ring of Felagund, that he gave to Barahir my father on the battle field of the North, my house has not earned such names from any Elf, be he king or no."
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Thanks for running the game redwill.

Once Mac and canaan were gone, we were screwed. Obviously if a seer checked mac out, we would have a ton of power. But since they didn't, and there were no (well one) villagers, we couldn't just claim blue. And I think we only had one night kill so it was probably the toughest game to be a red at that point.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Was definitely fun, if not insane at times trying to guess what all these factions might be striving for.

I was pretty busy at times and thus didn't post quite as much as I wanted, but I was active enough in keeping touch with my homies.

I had largely figured out everyone's color based on claims, sees and actions by the end... I was just worried that blue might not be on the level due to that Union talk. Fortunately, they were.

Got my revenge for losing my hand, anyway.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

redwill wrote:
Kaizer wrote:Vig kills rotated between us after our initial shot?
Yep. Skipped over folks who were dead.

The rotation was

- Feanor
- Enemy (alone of the factions, The Enemy had their kill power transfer if the Killer died. From Glaurung to Morgoth to Sauron to Gothmog. But they were all dead by the time the second go-'round came.)
- Fingolfin
- Doriath
- Men
So shaf did try to kill Dagny on Night 1. :pop:

The only reason I called shaf out on the random.org was to protect Zaro.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

ulf wrote:Thanks for running the game redwill.

Once Mac and canaan were gone, we were screwed. Obviously if a seer checked mac out, we would have a ton of power. But since they didn't, and there were no (well one) villagers, we couldn't just claim blue. And I think we only had one night kill so it was probably the toughest game to be a red at that point.
Yeah, I see that. I was thinking that the CAPTURE power, combined with assassination power, combined with mac not being able to be killed at night, combined with Troy not being able to be investigated, was all TOO much power, but went with it anyway.

Then mac got himself killed during the day before anyone investigated him. Ho Ho Ho.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Willie Kool wrote:So shaf did try to kill Dagny on Night 1. :pop:
Yep.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

dodint wrote: We tried to see WK with the first see, and it came back blank, and we almost killed him for it.
Would have liked to see you try. :P
dodint wrote: I wanted to shoot him myself when that one vote got close, mac/mwb I think, and he voted for the wrong person and made me out MWB. That's my biggest regret of the game, but it worked out and no one seemed to notice.
We noticed, for the good. It stopped my voting for him, and PFIDC didn't need to use a see on him. :fist:
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

redwill wrote:
ulf wrote:Thanks for running the game redwill.

Yeah, I see that. I was thinking that the CAPTURE power, combined with assassination power, combined with mac not being able to be killed at night, combined with Troy not being able to be investigated, was all TOO much power, but went with it anyway.

Then mac got himself killed during the day before anyone investigated him. Ho Ho Ho.
I think it would have been a good game to just sit in the shadows as a red, but that's no fun.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

ulf wrote:but that's no fun.
That's the point. It's all about having fun.

I was entertained by the game, so that's all that matters. Haha.

I would've liked to have seen at least one good seer captured, though. Not to mention that I want to see the assassination work at least once.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Thanks for the game, redwill!

FWIW, I HATED having to eliminate canaan so fast because he's one of the most fun players in the gamez. But, our seer found him as a red, and at that point we had no idea there were so many factions. We thought we'd scored on the first investigate! :lol:

I also haven't played a warz game in so long, I didn't know the pace had slowed down this much. I was so anxious about waking up early enough, the first day, and having to be away while I was at work, that I felt I had to do whatever I could to take a red out before I was killed, and keep the attention away from the rest of my team. :lol: Back in the day, once a vote got rolling it finished fast.

MRandall, this is my first warz game with you, and I haven't looked at any old games you've played, so I had no idea what your style/strategy was in these gamez. I thought you did a really good job working with what you could, but I never trusted you. However, that could be because I know the stories and we held a silmaril. I gave way too much importance to the silmarils in the game. I was PMing the hell out of my team, too. :lol:

I got so fixated on possible unions, once our seer found Beren, I was pushing them to try and find a way to form a "union" because Beren(twc) and Luthien(MWB) uniting is crucial to the story. My team wanted to use our first kill on TWC. I freaked out on them! :lol: "We CAN'T kill Beren!"

And for those fans of LOTR, that are now interested in reading the silmarillion, it's basically the "bible" of middle-earth, and my favorite of all the books.

MWB was our angel. He protected me the first night, as we agreed I was the most likely target of a first night kill out of everyone in our group. I had no powers. We hoped, after finding out that canaan was the red assassin (assumption= vig), that we had eliminated the threat of another night kill on me. But, I see the vig power was transferred. :lol:

So, who did kill me?
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

redwill wrote:Not to mention that I want to see the assassination work at least once.
Would it have worked on me?