TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by columbia »

I thought his schtick would wear on me, but so far that show has been hilarious.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

"Net neutrality: The only two words that promise more boredom in the English language are 'featuring Sting.'"

Brillant.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

eddysnake wrote:Last week with John Oliver is great. contains some language...(nevermind it's bleeped)

Sunday night on Net Neutrality

[youtube][/youtube]

He's right though, not enough people have any idea what this is or how bad it would be if it were removed. But they can tell you where Kim and Kanye got married.

He like, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, are at least using comedy to inform their audiences. I read some time ago that many younger people admitted that The Daily Show was their only exposure/source of news.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

blackjack68 wrote:I read some time ago that many younger people admitted that The Daily Show was their only exposure/source of news.
This scares me
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Going to start The Wire today
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'm taking an IT Infrastructure class for my masters program, and when we were dividing up the case studies I picked Net Neutrality because my ignorance of the actual issue is really really high. :(
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

PensFanInDC wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:I read some time ago that many younger people admitted that The Daily Show was their only exposure/source of news.
This scares me
It should.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

[youtube][/youtube]
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

blackjack68 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
This scares me
It should.
It's better than nothing. There is actual reporting of stories, then it is comedy about the actual news.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Link to a summary of a study from 2012 that concludes people who just get their news from the Daily Show know more about the news than anyone who primarily gets it from the main cable news channels:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/medi ... -informed/

Notice also that NPR listeners score the highest :fist: , while those who get their news only from Fox News score lower than people who don't watch any news at all.

Also, this story talks about a study that shows Colbert's satirical formation of a super-PAC was more informative about what super-PACs are and how they work than any reporting done by traditional sources:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... cable-news
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

PensFanInDC wrote:Going to start The Wire today
I just finished The Wire a month or so ago (right before it started streaming on Amazon Prime :face: ). There are so many awesome things about it that it's hard to pick highlights, but I would say one of my favorite underrated parts of it are Clay Davis's epic sh-bombs (is that the PG equivalent of f-bomb? I've never had to think about this before). He can really draw it out.

It kind of makes me wish there were an Emmy for best reading of lines containing profanity.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

the best reading of lines containing profanity in the wire was without a doubt stringer asking the kid about taking notes on a criminal conspiracy.

speaking of which, it would be tough to put together the five funniest moments of the wire.

one of them would mos def. be the scene gaucho just posted. kenny the kangaroo and the girlfriend use that one all the time.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i'd rather a young person get their news from the daily show than any other standard TV news outlet.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

John Oliver had a great segment on GM as well. look that one up
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Halt and Catch Fire was good enough as a first episode to keep me watching for a while. The Tex-ass stuff was there (duh, opening scene is an armadillo) but not too overbearing. Some of the scenes just made huge leaps, but in setting up characters I can see why that would happen the way it did. The Acid Burn copycat character needs to grow out of the cliches for me to root for her. We'll see what the summer brings.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:the best reading of lines containing profanity in the wire was without a doubt stringer asking the kid about taking notes on a criminal conspiracy.

speaking of which, it would be tough to put together the five funniest moments of the wire.

one of them would mos def. be the scene gaucho just posted. kenny the kangaroo and the girlfriend use that one all the time.
For such an intense drama there were a lot of funny parts to the wire.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

dodint wrote:Halt and Catch Fire was good enough as a first episode to keep me watching for a while. The Tex-ass stuff was there (duh, opening scene is an armadillo) but not too overbearing. Some of the scenes just made huge leaps, but in setting up characters I can see why that would happen the way it did. The Acid Burn copycat character needs to grow out of the cliches for me to root for her. We'll see what the summer brings.
Thought the same thing. Decent start, but not blown away.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Yeah, I found myself laughing fairly often during the wire for sure. So many great characters.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Mcnutty getting The Bunk from some woman's house, with him on the toilet in a robe smoking a cigar was hilarious.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

totally bummed that was the last episode of silicon valley. good stuff.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

HBO funded a secone season. They still need to shoot it though. :(
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Knowing you, knowing me with Alan Partridge. Becoming a big fan of Steve Coogan.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

anyone watching penny dreadful? I saw about 20 minutes last night and it seemed pretty interesting.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

dodint wrote:Halt and Catch Fire was good enough as a first episode to keep me watching for a while. The Tex-ass stuff was there (duh, opening scene is an armadillo) but not too overbearing. Some of the scenes just made huge leaps, but in setting up characters I can see why that would happen the way it did. The Acid Burn copycat character needs to grow out of the cliches for me to root for her. We'll see what the summer brings.
I'm having a hard time watching Cameron Howe without thinking of Watts in Some Kind of Wonderful and Aimee Mann circa 1985.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

For some reason I had the desire to watch Berzerk, a classic anime, and I'm really getting into it.

It's one of those animes I kept hearing about over the years. Plus, Dark Souls is heavily influenced by it.