George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by obhave »

stopper40 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Once the fingers went into the sockets, my wife had to turn her head. She kept asking if it was done and then, wow, that was something. I'm not sure if there was a distinct popping sound or it was just my head, but that was awesome.

Probably not watching that scene again, not because I'm grossed out or anything, I'm just sad he's gone. He was better in the show than in the book.
And the viper was great in the book. Missed him then and will really miss him in the show. Perfectly cast.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the actor was great. but maaaaaan, that indigo montoya parallel was all i could think about for a little bit in that fight.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

shmenguin wrote:the actor was great. but maaaaaan, that indigo montoya parallel was all i could think about for a little bit in that fight.
I am Oberyn Martell, you killed my sister, prepare to die
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shmenguin wrote:the actor was great. but maaaaaan, that indigo montoya parallel was all i could think about for a little bit in that fight.
absolutely, and it worked amazingly. That may be the best episode of the entire series so far. Sansa was really good, even Mother of Dragons was good.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:
absolutely, and it worked amazingly. That may be the best episode of the entire series so far. Sansa was really good, even Mother of Dragons was good.
I agree that it 'worked' although it was a little corny for my taste. It went from h/t to Princess Bride to "HAHAHAHAHA JUST LIKE IN PRINCESS BRIDE!"
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I love The Princess Bride and honestly didn't think of it once during the scene.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Really? Cause it came to mind as soon as he said it the second time. He even had the accent.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:Really? Cause it came to mind as soon as he said it the second time. He even had the accent.
and he got more and more intense as he kept saying it. like the princess bride iirc.

i actually liked the rest of the episode. it just felt unfair to the viewer to smush the whole oberon thing into one 5 minute scene. how about a little reaction from the lannisters when they find out he's tyrion's champion? how about a face-to-face snark fest with oberon and tywin exchanging verbal daggers. they could have cut a few minutes off of the vale scenes and no one would have complained.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

They could have cut almost ALL of the vale scenes. Although the Arya laughing scene was AWESOME!

It was a phenomenal episode; a crescendo start to finish.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Love Tyrion and jamie and the looks on their faces when it looked like Viper might win and then we see the ultimate stunned face

I liked the way they handeled Sansa's story this week
Spoiler:
In the book it's a singer who took the fall for Peter killing Lysa. But in this case the Lords Declarant would recognize Sansa even with black hair or at least they should. Good move.
Arya though, no clue what's going on there
Spoiler:
aside from massive amounts of filler because there's not much for her left to do besides get on a boat to Braavos
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DelPen wrote: Arya though, no clue what's going on there
Spoiler:
aside from massive amounts of filler because there's not much for her left to do besides get on a boat to Braavos
Spoiler:
she leaves the hound for dead in episode 10 from the infected wound he's been battling, and then she's off to braavos. if you look at their story as a whole this season, they did jack squat. but i've enjoyed their scenes. they did a good job stretching it out
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
she leaves the hound for dead in episode 10 from the infected wound he's been battling, and then she's off to braavos. if you look at their story as a whole this season, they did jack squat. but i've enjoyed their scenes. they did a good job stretching it out
Martin should make another series to waste time with called the "Wolf and Hound" like "Dunc and Egg" filled with thier adventures.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Martin should make another series to waste time with called the "Wolf and Hound" like "Dunc and Egg" filled with thier adventures.
Speaking of Martin and time wasting...
Have you ever tried convincing George into using a laptop for writing and writing on the road instead of only writing on his computer at home?

Good gracious, yes! Multiple times. He is one stubborn man, and very set in his ways, though.
We know that the producers of the TV show Game of Thrones know in broad strokes the ending of the main character arcs of A Song of Ice and Fire. Without giving anything away, do you know the ending, too?

No. George is a very secretive fellow, and guards his secrets well. I do know a few things from AWOW, but mainly because we had to shorten a few elements in the book as it was already getting too long, and he had to reveal a few secrets so I could help him redirect parts of the plot a bit.

When will TWOW be released?

I currently have 168 pages that he submitted back in Feb 2013 in order to receive a contracted payment, but I know more exists, because he keeps talking about chapter he hasn’t yet sent me.
Do you think it will take GRRM more then 7 books to finish ASOIAF?
I begin to wonder—though 7 is what we currently have under contract. I remember when he called me, years and years back, to confess that his little trilogy was…well…no longer a trilogy. He predicted four books. I said Seven Books for Seven Kingdoms. Then he said five books. I said Seven Books for Seven Kingdoms. Then he went to six. I said… Well, you get it. Finally, we were on the same page. Seven Books for Seven Kingdoms. Good. Only, as I recently learned while editing THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE (another awesome thing you must buy when it comes out!), there are really technically eight kingdoms, all having to do with who has annexed what when Aegon the Conqueror landed in Westeros. So, maybe eight books for Seven Kingdoms would be okay. Also, he has promised me that, when he finally wraps this great beast, I can publish the five page letter outlining the bare bones of the “trilogy.”
- Only writes at home; never seems to be at home anymore.
- The only pages his editor has received is the 168 he sent her last February and its already long winded.
- He's not going to be able to contain himself enough to fit everything in seven books.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/29/ge ... ably-soon/
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Speaking of Martin and time wasting...
Have you ever tried convincing George into using a laptop for writing and writing on the road instead of only writing on his computer at home?

Good gracious, yes! Multiple times. He is one stubborn man, and very set in his ways, though.
We know that the producers of the TV show Game of Thrones know in broad strokes the ending of the main character arcs of A Song of Ice and Fire. Without giving anything away, do you know the ending, too?

No. George is a very secretive fellow, and guards his secrets well. I do know a few things from AWOW, but mainly because we had to shorten a few elements in the book as it was already getting too long, and he had to reveal a few secrets so I could help him redirect parts of the plot a bit.

When will TWOW be released?

I currently have 168 pages that he submitted back in Feb 2013 in order to receive a contracted payment, but I know more exists, because he keeps talking about chapter he hasn’t yet sent me.
Do you think it will take GRRM more then 7 books to finish ASOIAF?
I begin to wonder—though 7 is what we currently have under contract. I remember when he called me, years and years back, to confess that his little trilogy was…well…no longer a trilogy. He predicted four books. I said Seven Books for Seven Kingdoms. Then he said five books. I said Seven Books for Seven Kingdoms. Then he went to six. I said… Well, you get it. Finally, we were on the same page. Seven Books for Seven Kingdoms. Good. Only, as I recently learned while editing THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE (another awesome thing you must buy when it comes out!), there are really technically eight kingdoms, all having to do with who has annexed what when Aegon the Conqueror landed in Westeros. So, maybe eight books for Seven Kingdoms would be okay. Also, he has promised me that, when he finally wraps this great beast, I can publish the five page letter outlining the bare bones of the “trilogy.”
- Only writes at home; never seems to be at home anymore.
- The only pages his editor has received is the 168 he sent her last February and its already long winded.
- He's not going to be able to contain himself enough to fit everything in seven books.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/29/ge ... ably-soon/
Good grief. At this point they should just beat the rush and hire Brandon Sanderson to finish it already.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Ahh ****. That sucked. As a non book reader it was absolutely agonizing watching him taunt the Mountain's motionless body. You could just feel something terrible coming. Going into the fight I thought the Mountain would win but the Viper would have cut him with a poison blade so they'd both die. This was a million times worse.

If Tyrion is dead too I'm going to have a hard time continuing to watch the series. To repeatedly have your favorite characters killed off is getting too depressing for me.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Book readers were FLIPPING OUT over the Sansa scenes.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Spangler wrote:Book readers were FLIPPING OUT over the Sansa scenes.
Honestly, this, like the Harrenhal scenes with Arya, made a lot more sense the way it happened on the show.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I read in another interview (did I post it here?) that Martin writes on an old PC that doesn't have Internet access. So there's that. :lol:
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I read in another interview (did I post it here?) that Martin writes on an old PC that doesn't have Internet access. So there's that. :lol:
I saw that interview on Conan. He uses WordStar 4.0 on an old DOS computer. For some reason at that point at time I didn't make the "no laptop, no writing on the road" connection.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I went back and reread the duel chapter to see the differences. The fight seemed shorter on the show, but after reading the book, they're pretty much the same length.

Aside from the innocent bystander, the fight was extremely accurate, and actually more eventful on the show.

It's funny how I think I remember parts from the book that didn't actually happen. The Viper actually wore a helm and more light armor than on the show, which wouldn't have been as effective in showing the risk he was taking.

I ended up liking the show fight much better after rereading it. (Not that I disliked it)
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Staggy wrote:Ahh ****. That sucked. As a non book reader it was absolutely agonizing watching him taunt the Mountain's motionless body. You could just feel something terrible coming. Going into the fight I thought the Mountain would win but the Viper would have cut him with a poison blade so they'd both die. This was a million times worse.
Spoiler:
You aren't that far off.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

The book readers need to realize that there have to be adaptations on the show and it can't go line for line in the book.

As for that interview with Martin's publisher, like many, I don't think this story will ever end during his lifetime. And to me, that becomes unfair to the fans.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Spangler wrote:I went back and reread the duel chapter to see the differences. The fight seemed shorter on the show, but after reading the book, they're pretty much the same length.

Aside from the innocent bystander, the fight was extremely accurate, and actually more eventful on the show.

It's funny how I think I remember parts from the book that didn't actually happen. The Viper actually wore a helm and more light armor than on the show, which wouldn't have been as effective in showing the risk he was taking.

I ended up liking the show fight much better after rereading it. (Not that I disliked it)
For some reason I pictured them fighting in grass like in a jousting area with a lot more open space, not where the ended up having the fight. I think the utlimate kill shot was much more brutal in the show. Didn't the Mountain grab the Viper while he was over him, confess, then essentially cave his his skull in with one punch?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

newarenanow wrote:
The book readers need to realize that there have to be adaptations on the show and it can't go line for line in the book.

As for that interview with Martin's publisher, like many, I don't think this story will ever end during his lifetime. And to me, that becomes unfair to the fans.
Robert Jordan...
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

PensFanInDC wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Robert Jordan...
This is always the most reference comparison because of the genre, but in Robert Jordan's defense he got his work done up until he fell ill. Eleven books released over a 15 year period, with the first book after his death being released four years later. Martin has released four books over a 15 year period and this August will mark 18 years since the release of the first book. The final three books of The Wheel of Time were released over a four year period. Jordan was more efficient in death than Martin has been in life.