GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by silentom »

Steelhead Extra Stout by the Mad River Brewing Co.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Damnation was good, I agree with others on here that it's probably not $14 a bottle, but I quite enjoyed it.

Got southern tier compass (a sparkling strong ale brewed with Rose hips and citrus hops) and sonnet (their lemon grass super saison) ready to go. Russian River blind pig and Chillwave waiting on deck. Looking forward to today.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Krafster, I'm going to have to suggest you seek out the Southern Tier Sonnet. It is fantastic. Next to Sofie, it may be my favorite saison.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

It's soff as hell, but Crabbies Ginger Beer is really quite tasty. Found it in a club in Charlotte last week. It's a Scottish brewery, distributed through St. Killians here for about two years now.
Spoiler:
KINGSTON, MA – The United Kingdom’s number one selling bottled beer, Crabbie’s Original Alcoholic Ginger Beer has recently made its debut in the United States. Now available in 18 states, famed Crabbie’s (4.8%) is fermented with the finest imported ginger and steeped for up to eight weeks to allow the complex natural flavors to fully develop, creating a smooth ginger beer with deep, deliciously spicy flavor and a sparkling finish. Crabbie’s is a refreshing ginger beer – only for grown-ups – that is ideal served chilled over ice with a slice of lemon or lime.
“Crabbie’s is a great alternative for people who like to drink beer or cider, with no equal in today’s American market,” says Phil Clarke, general manager of St. Killian, the exclusive US importer of Crabbie’s. “With the current U.S. explosion of beers brewed with herbs and spices, we can’t imagine a better time to introduce Crabbie’s to America’s discerning drinkers.”
Scottish merchant-adventurer John Crabbie first imported ginger from the Far East into the ancient port of Leith, Edinburgh in 1801. Today, more than 200 years later, John Crabbie’s still uses the same ginger to develop the one-of-a-kind flavor of their ginger beer.
Crabbie’s is available for purchase in two formats: a four-pack of 11 ounce bottles and a larger 16.9 ounce bottle. Ideal for sipping, it can also be blended into a variety of ginger beer cocktails, such as the classic Dark and Stormy and the Moscow Mule.
Crabbie’s can currently be found at fine retailers, restaurants and bars in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
From: http://allaboutbeer.com/news/crabbie%E2 ... ed-states/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only thing that keeps me from drinking about 20 of them in a sitting is that it has a touch of spice to keep you in check. It's the only beer I've ever been able to drink through a straw. Like I said, soff, but tasty.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

My sisters love Crabbies.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

id imagine corvidae had probably given her crabbies at one point, so thats not surprising.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

eddysnake wrote:Krafster, I'm going to have to suggest you seek out the Southern Tier Sonnet. It is fantastic. Next to Sofie, it may be my favorite saison.
Thanks for the recommendation. Where did you find it?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Kraftster wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Krafster, I'm going to have to suggest you seek out the Southern Tier Sonnet. It is fantastic. Next to Sofie, it may be my favorite saison.
bombers at the brewery. I'm not sure why I haven't seen it down here yet, they are certainly bottling them. I did see their Compass this past week, so maybe it's just a matter of time. (The compass was great as well) I'm heading up in July, worst case scenario I can try and grab you one from there.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

They had Crabbies at Beer Fest. It was pretty good for what it is, but definitely not something I'd drink more than 2 or 3 of in one sitting
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Saturday at Noble Aleworks, had their "Too Dang Hot" chilie ale. Should have stuck with a sampler. Well, truthfully, should have not had that beer at all. Ruined the desire for anything after.

However, later in the night, had my first ever Troegs Nugget Nectar. From the label, a hop being squeezed of flavor whet the whistle. Into a perfectly chilled pint glass, the pour was amber red, which makes sense since the base is an amber ale, with just enough carbonation to form a clean head. The smell of hops was present during the pour, and the taste did not disappoint. Nice blend of kicked up bitter with a solid malt base. Seasonal and fresh.

I *tried* following that up with a quart can of Mission Brewery Double IPA. The Foster's can used to be the big dude on the block. Not any more. A huge DIPA with 9.25% abv. Based on the can size, this is a best shared or opened when you are not planning to leave the house. A tasty, big beer in a good sized holding vessel.
Spoiler:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

eddysnake wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
bombers at the brewery. I'm not sure why I haven't seen it down here yet, they are certainly bottling them. I did see their Compass this past week, so maybe it's just a matter of time. (The compass was great as well) I'm heading up in July, worst case scenario I can try and grab you one from there.
I'll be on the lookout.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I don't think there are any beers that I think highly of that I would want to drink out of a chilled pint glass. What beers do you like that for, BigMcK?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

As this grilling season continue, I can say that I think Hopdevil is great paired with a steak, mushrooms, potato meal.

What are some favorite pairings that you all enjoy?

I also really like saisons with spicy food--thai, mexican, texmex, you name it.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Kraftster wrote:I don't think there are any beers that I think highly of that I would want to drink out of a chilled pint glass. What beers do you like that for, BigMcK?
For me, most all beers should start in a chilled glass. Not frozen where the taste would be muted or numb, but chilled. I know there are many opinions regarding whether or not a chilled glass takes away from the true flavor and nose, but as I am pretty much a IPA exclusive fan, I find that without the glass being chilled to start, you miss out on how the full flavor comes together as the glass warms. I have big hands so if I hold the glass the beer warms quickly. Chilled glass eliminates that issue, I guess.

Uncouth in certain circles, I am sure. But, hey, it works for me. :fist:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

After years of missing out, finally got some great Lakes Erie monster ipa. So much for taking the week off... Going to need a bigger fridge
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

The Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster Imperial IPA is really a monster. 9.1% with a very sweet fruit/citrusy smell and taste at first then goes to a thick piney resin that doesn't leave your mouth. Great beer if you are looking to have just 1, but I don't think I could drink many more in a sitting. This thing is loaded with hops and malts.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

BigMcK wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I don't think there are any beers that I think highly of that I would want to drink out of a chilled pint glass. What beers do you like that for, BigMcK?
For me, most all beers should start in a chilled glass. Not frozen where the taste would be muted or numb, but chilled. I know there are many opinions regarding whether or not a chilled glass takes away from the true flavor and nose, but as I am pretty much a IPA exclusive fan, I find that without the glass being chilled to start, you miss out on how the full flavor comes together as the glass warms. I have big hands so if I hold the glass the beer warms quickly. Chilled glass eliminates that issue, I guess.

Uncouth in certain circles, I am sure. But, hey, it works for me. :fist:
That's fair. I agree with you on the warming of a beer. I'd rather start a bit too cold and warm to cellar temp than just go cellar temp from the outset. I guess you just take it further in the other direction than I typically do. I'm pretty new to IPAs, so perhaps I should consider starting IPAs a bit colder than I would saisons or sours (my cup of tea).

For saisons, I usually go: 750 ML bottle from basement to fridge for ~90-120 minutes; bottle on counter for 0-10 minutes depending upon how chilled it feels; first pour into cold-water-rinsed tulip; bottle stays on counter; second pour; third pour. I go with a feel decision on whether to drink the sediment on the last pour, which is an inexact science, I'm sure.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

As much as I've tried to like them, I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like saisons. Way too carbonated for me, and just way too much fruitiness and spiciness. I might like the rare one, but by and large not a fan. One of the few genres I can't drink :(
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I like the farmhouse style and have recently started to get into sours. I love Belgians. Don't get me wrong, my bread and butter is clean pale ales and IPAs, but the funky Belgian yeasts have grown on me the past few years.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Saisons definitely are not for everyone. My original experiences a few years ago were that they tasted kinda funny... but now I largely enjoy them.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I've only had 2 saisons, and they were complete opposites in taste and appearance.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Its hard to be into sours in western PA. There's just not much available unless you go to Ho1kB and then you are dealing with stuff that is really pricey (Russian River, Lost Abbey, Bruery). The only stuff that tends to be available are the more traditional belgian sours as opposed to the american wild ales from breweries such as those aforementioned ones. Duchesse de Bourgogne, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Echte Kriekenbier, Bourgogne Des Flanders, etc., get close to some of the american wild ale style, but generally seem to lack the funk factor. Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge is probably my favorite belgian sour.

All of that is why the Sour and the Funky beer tasting at Ho1kB is an amazing value for residents of western PA. At this year's event, I had: Hop Farm Margot, Bruery Sour in the Rye, Bruery Saison de Lente, Bruery Oude Tart, 3 Fonteinen Zwet.be, Bockor Bellegems Bruin, Jester King Mad Meg, Mikkeller Ov-ral, Panil Barriquee, Brooklyn Wild Streak, Evil Twin Femme Fatal Blanc, 4 Hands Cuvee Ange, Goose Island Lolita, Goose Island Laura, Goose Island Juliet, Goose Island, Almanace Sourdough Wild Ale, Mikkeller Beer Geek BreAKfast, Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge, Allagash Interlude, a number of Jolly Pumpkins, and other stuff that I've had before that I'm sure I'm missing.

That reminds me, don't sleep on the Goose Island wild ales. They are excellent. Purchase if you can with confidence.
Also, the Brooklyn Wild Streak was bad, imo.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Kraft, have you had Yards Saison? Kunda curious on your opinion if you have. That was the first Saison I ever had, and to this day I still feel it is really solid. Not in the league of any of the best of course. I'd take it over Swing Session any day though.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I wasn't a big fan of Victory Swing Session. Too much pepper and lemon and not enough just letting the yeast do its thing.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I have not had the Yards--it never seems to be in the mix 6 when I am selecting, and I don't know that I'd get a 6-pack of it. I think the Swing is okay for a saison readily available in 12 oz bottles. Too much lemon and not enough funk. As far as 12 oz.-available saisons go, I was very pleasantly surprised by Great Divide Colette. I'd love to see if I can get Save on Beer to get a case of that for me next year.