GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by columbia »

Yeah, a great beer selection at a grocery store isn't the norm.
Go to any Publix -which is a high quality grocer - and check out the beer aisle....talk about woof.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

This is old news but Edmund Fitzgerald is a GREAT beer. Summer isnt exactly the best time for a porter but this is really drinkable.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

llipgh2 wrote:Now drinking the Ballast Point Black Marlin Porter.

More hoppy taste. Read the bottle and it said "A hoppy twist on the Classic English Porter". That explains it. LOL

Thanks McK, for sending these. Great choices.
You're welcome. Thank you for sending the Pens stuff. :fist:

Best thing about the beer you received?
Spoiler:

Not a Joe Dirt IPA in the group. :lol:
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Speaking of IPA's....

Flower Power from Ithaca Brewing was a very nice find at a local store. A single bottle from last year, the owner said it was part of a trade. The hops nose was still prominent and surprisingly fresh tasting. Not muted or flat as I would have guessed. Fresh, this would be a killer. Good just the same.

Big Mother from Mothers Earth Brew. A Triple IPA. Tipping the abv. at over 10%, I was hesitant to try because of the pending alcohol burn. However, the beer was rounded out nicely with the malt sweetness and hoppy bitterness. Getting another couple bottles and going to cellar one for good measure.

Hop Nosh from Uinta, cans. Perfect for an area where bottles are not welcome. Another quality beer from this past weekend.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the errey i breathe »

Went to Rehoboth on Sunday and was able to go to the Dogfish Head ale house. Had a 75 min. and a 120 min. Both were good, although I think I preferred the 75.

Also had the Burton Baton which is always one of my favorites of theirs.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I had a Westbrook White Thai the other night...basically a Belgian white with ginger and lemongrass flavors.
Will have again.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

BigMcK wrote:Speaking of IPA's....

Flower Power from Ithaca Brewing was a very nice find at a local store. A single bottle from last year, the owner said it was part of a trade. The hops nose was still prominent and surprisingly fresh tasting. Not muted or flat as I would have guessed. Fresh, this would be a killer. Good just the same.

lucky for you, on thursday, you'll have a fresh one to test just how killer it is. check your inbox for tracking info.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

anyone have deschutes fresh squeezed ipa?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm not sure how I've never had Oberon before, but this is a good beer.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

columbia wrote:I'm not sure how I've never had Oberon before, but this is a good beer.
Probably my favorite summer beer right now
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Went back to Slippery Rock over the weekend, and my family went to North Country Brewing to eat. The Belgian Nightmare was supposed to be a trippel, but the brewer admits it went awry, and I think it turned out more like a quad or strong dubbel. Very nice. I took home a growler of Hammerstrike Ale, which is a Belgian-style pale ale with a bit of candi sugar and orange peel. Very well balanced. I really hope NCB's canned lines take off, since I'd love to see them can more of their beers.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

I had some smuttynose Rhye IPA last night and it was very tasty! It was better than Sierra Nevada's ruthless IPA in my opinion because it had a little more hop character to it and a bit smoother. I actually look forward to getting more of it soon!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Any opinion on these?

the six pack shop downtown has them. might swing by at lunch time if they're any good.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I've only tried the BORIS Stout, but I really liked it. One of the smoothest RIS I've had.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Enjoyed a bottle of Bruery Saison Rue last night. It was excellent. Nice and crisp, had a nice sweet apple taste towards the end. Another top notch offering from the bruery.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

count2infinity wrote:Any opinion on these?

the six pack shop downtown has them. might swing by at lunch time if they're any good.
Has a BORIS Oatmeal RIS barrel aged. One of the best beers I've ever tasted
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Picked up a southern tier compass bomber which I remember liking from public day last year, but foggy on details.

Also grabbed some clown shoe Galactica dipa which sounds pretty awesome, anyone ever have it?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

The Galactica is really good. I think its straight (or most) Galaxy hops, so its very citrusy/passion fruity. I keep debating buying a four pack of it myself. I'm really disappointed that Giant Eagle does not have the Space Cake DIPA anymore. I thought that one was even better.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Good to hear, I guess I'll have to throw one in the freezer now because I want to try it tonight. Split a case up with a couple guys and swapped so I got some Chillwave too. I'll keep an eye out for space cake, if I like this, may special order a case. I love that galaxy hop - is that what makes it smell like some dank greenery?

What are some other tropical /citrusy hopped ipas out there you like?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I was lucky enough to purchase a bottle of Anchorage Galaxy White IPA at Church Key in DC last Summer (Galaxy hops, coriander, kumquats, and peppercorns. Fermented and aged in French oak foudres with a wit yeast. Dry hopped with Galaxy hops. Bottle conditioned with brettanomyces and wine barrels. Are you kidding?? How good does that sound!)

Then had the Galactica and after I tried Galactica, I went on a hunt for other galaxy-heavy IPAs. Turns out there aren't many. I'll double check later on the ones I was able to find.

I'm still pretty new to IPAs and DIPAs, so I don't have a great sense of IPA stuff off the top of my head. I'll check my beer buddy app later. I wouldn't really expect galaxy hops to do much towards the danky end of the spectrum.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

shafnutz05 wrote:I've only tried the BORIS Stout, but I really liked it. One of the smoothest RIS I've had.
As a malthead, I'm turned off by brewer/beer names with "hop" themes, a la Hoppin' Frog and generally won't try them because I anticipate too much hop/citrus for my taste. That said, for those who have tried Hoppin' Frog's stouts/bocks/darks/etc, how hop/citrusy are they? I really like oatmeal stouts, so that one has some appeal to me, just don't want the hop end.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

No hoppiness or citrus that I could taste. Chocolate and coffee with other roasted goodness
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

shafnutz05 wrote:No hoppiness or citrus that I could taste. Chocolate and coffee with other roasted goodness
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Galactica was awesome, there was a nice constant blast of citrus hops throughout and the aftertaste remained sweet. Next to Chillwave, this was the only other ipa my wife enjoyed as well. Looking forward to more this weekend
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Grab Dark horse plead the 5th imperial stout if you see it around, nice malts on this big dog.