i think shad was independant.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: *** Wars of Beleriand Game Thread ***

Post by MRandall25 »

CBear3 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Listed out to make it easier:

'color=#FF4000' House of Feanor 'color': shad's actual character was a part of this, can unite with Fingolfin
'color=#00BF00'House of Fingolfin 'color': Zaro's character, can unite with Feanor
'color=#008000'Holders of the Silmaril 'color': dagny's character
'color=#FF0000'Followers of Morgoth 'color': canaan's character

I'm fairly certain that's what we're dealing with right now, in terms of non-village players.
Although looking at where those colors are on the pallet...
I guess I'll wait until the Night write-up to form a solid opinion.
But four factions of four barely leaves any pleebs.
There are only 3 Silmarils in the Silmarillion lore, so I would guess there are only 3 holders of Silmarils.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

MRandall25 wrote:
Zarovich wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Shad's color is orange, not red.

I don't think shad was a baddie.
He lied about his character and affiliation
Well, he's an idiot.
That aside, he is bad. He lied. There seem to be two "helpful" factions and two bad factions. Now sure how the village differentiates then though. I would guess that orange or red need to outlast all to win. One of the greens win if the village wins.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I don't think that's how it's supposed to go, if you follow the lore.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Like I said earlier, if the orange faction and Zaro's faction find a way to merge, the lore says they become the Union of Maedhros. I don't see any way that the Union of Maedhros would be bad for the village, so I don't see why the orange would be bad for the village aside from having a color close to red.

At this point, the colors that aren't red are basically dividing the factions. I don't think you can read too far into what color is being used. It's pretty much 3 factions against 1, if you take the lore into account.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Wow I have some reading to do. At first glance I would agree with the two bad faction, two good faction idea. Worst case Shad was an orange independent, which he would need killed eventually. We could have done worse.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

MRandall25 wrote:Like I said earlier, if the orange faction and Zaro's faction find a way to merge, the lore says they become the Union of Maedhros. I don't see any way that the Union of Maedhros would be bad for the village, so I don't see why the orange would be bad for the village aside from having a color close to red.

At this point, the colors that aren't red are basically dividing the factions. I don't think you can read too far into what color is being used. It's pretty much 3 factions against 1, if you take the lore into account.
I admittedly have read none of this and have no idea what the factions could mean. But it is quite possible that you are also orange.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Maybe you should read up on the material then.

And that goes for just about everyone. This game is going to go nowhere if people don't know what the hell is going on.

Read the stuff online. It's not hard.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Somebody has been awfully confrontational this game
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Confrontational?

No.

I'm trying to get people to understand what's going on and what everything means. The only way to do that is for everyone to read the stuff about the Silmarillion online.

When people are openly against understanding what's happening in the game, it gets near impossible to play the game. We all need to work together to defeat Morgoth, but if only one or two people are on the same page because everyone is ignoring the back story, it gets a little frustrating, no?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The source material sounds pretty intricate, to the point that you folks that do know it don't understand the implications of what is happening. With the workload I have studying materials for work (CompTIA certifications), and the two graduate classes I'm taking in my free time, analyzing the works of Tolkien falls really far back on the priorities list. ;)

I just assumed redwill made up all this stuff. The fact that it had source material didn't dawn on me till sometime this morning. Even so, the modding is brilliant.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

MRandall25 wrote:Confrontational?

No.

I'm trying to get people to understand what's going on and what everything means. The only way to do that is for everyone to read the stuff about the Silmarillion online.

When people are openly against understanding what's happening in the game, it gets near impossible to play the game. We all need to work together to defeat Morgoth, but if only one or two people are on the same page because everyone is ignoring the back story, it gets a little frustrating, no?
As a good faith gesture I'll read over the Wiki articles about the high points of The Silmarillion but I doubt it'll do much more than provide context. Beyond that, if my ignorance of the source material ruins your game, well...bummer.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

MRandall25 wrote:Maybe you should read up on the material then.

And that goes for just about everyone. This game is going to go nowhere if people don't know what the hell is going on.

But also believing that redwill will go directly from the book is foolish, because then you focus on what could be instead of paying attention to what people are doing in the game/how they are behaving. It is very possible that redwill is deviating. I think its likely that it is the orange/red being the evil factions, and the two greens being the "good" factions. I'm assuming only one faction can remain (based on what Zaro has said), but if one of the greens win then the village wins.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

These colors aren't your typical warz colors, aside from the red baddies.

If you understand what the House of Feanor wants to accomplish, you would realize that the orange does not make them bad. The House of Feanor, in the lore, wants to defeat Morgoth. That is exactly the what the game needs to accomplish.

Ignoring the entire back story and saying "orange = bad" is counterintuitive to the course of the game and the back story redwill is trying to use.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

obhave wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Maybe you should read up on the material then.

But also believing that redwill will go directly from the book is foolish, because then you focus on what could be instead of paying attention to what people are doing in the game/how they are behaving. It is very possible that redwill is deviating. I think its likely that it is the orange/red being the evil factions, and the two greens being the "good" factions. I'm assuming only one faction can remain (based on what Zaro has said), but if one of the greens win then the village wins.
And again, if you see the source material, House Feanor (what I assume is orange, given shads character) can unite with House Forgolin (Zaro's faction) to give us the Union of Maedhros, which is the main force of good in the Silmarillion lore.

So there's almost 0 chance the House Feanor is bad. None.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

MRandall25 wrote:These colors aren't your typical warz colors, aside from the red baddies.

If you understand what the House of Feanor wants to accomplish, you would realize that the orange does not make them bad. The House of Feanor, in the lore, wants to defeat Morgoth. That is exactly the what the game needs to accomplish.

Ignoring the entire back story and saying "orange = bad" is counterintuitive to the course of the game and the back story redwill is trying to use.
But assuming they are good is also a stupid idea. Why the hell did Shad lie, if he is good for the village. You can call him dumb all you want, but Shad has played this game for a long time, I don't think he would role claim another "good" team if he was in fact also good. I care more about how people are behaving in this thread then the back story, which redwill may not be following word by word.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Tolkien was really more than simple fantasy. He worked hard to create a mythology. One that could inspire people and teach them subtle lessons about life and how to live together on this planet.

It just so happens he used epic fantasy in the tradition of Scandinavian sagas. So some people don't take it seriously. There are flaws, certainly -- mainly due to over-simplification of concepts -- but that's the nature of the beast in mythology, IMO.

Still waiting on a PM.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I don't really know what was going through shad's mind, but I can guarantee you the orange is not a bad faction.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Crankshaft wrote:Enough talk has been brought up where if it were just a mere mistake, I'm sure redwill would have set the record straight. His silence on the matter leads me to believe that it was intentional
Actually it's the opposite. Mods, including redwill, LOVE to sit and watch the players philosphize about things that really don't matter. Then we sit back and laugh and laugh and laugh cause it doesn't matter.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'm already lost in reading. Seems that Tolkien wrote stuff, then revised it, and no one really knows what the cannonized intent was for some things.

I admire the process of what Tolkien was doing as a writer, really, but to make sense of it is a tall task. Not trying to pick on MR25 here, just airing an opinion.

PFiDC was a cruel dude with the WWII game. ;)
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:Enough talk has been brought up where if it were just a mere mistake, I'm sure redwill would have set the record straight. His silence on the matter leads me to believe that it was intentional
Actually it's the opposite. Mods, including redwill, LOVE to sit and watch the players philosphize about things that really don't matter. Then we sit back and laugh and laugh and laugh cause it doesn't matter.
redwill loves the chaos, as a player and mod.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

obhave wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
redwill loves the chaos, as a player and mod.
Exactly. A good mod wouldn't confirm nor deny the color issue that, for some reason, has become an issue. It does nothing but detract from the real work at hand IMO.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

dodint wrote:I'm already lost in reading. Seems that Tolkien wrote stuff, then revised it, and no one really knows what the cannonized intent was for some things.
Yeah, he died before he could bring it all together. His son has been trying to piece it all together for years. His editing of The Silmarillion was an early attempt. Canon has since changed, but this game is based on that book.

Write-up coming.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Fëanor prized the Silmarils above all else, and grew increasingly suspicious that the Valar and other Eldar coveted them. Melkor, recently released from three ages of imprisonment in the Halls of Mandos and now residing in Valinor, saw in this suspicion an opportunity to sow dissension among the Noldor. Fëanor did not trust Melkor and refused to communicate with him, but was still caught in the evil Vala's plot.

Melkor used Fëanor's anger and pride against him, telling him that his own half-brother Fingolfin was planning to usurp his place as heir to Finwë. Fëanor threatened Fingolfin's life. (It was at this time that the Noldor, driven to distrust by Melkor's guile, first began to forge weapons, which would later be used against the Teleri.) As punishment for his threat, the Valar exiled Fëanor to Formenos. He took a substantial treasure with him, including the Silmarils, which he put in a locked box.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Night 3 is over.

Another attempt at murder. Torture and murder, no less.

Agony, pain, loss.

Probably a loosening of the bowels.
Spoiler:
But MRandall25 did not die.
Spoiler:
18 remain in Beleriand:

slappybrown
mac5155
MRandall25
Crankshaft
PFIDC
Sam's Drunk Dog
Troy Loney
Willie Kool
dodint
obhave
the wicked child
ulf
relantel
CBear3
Kaizer
MWB
BigMcK
Zarovich
It is now Day 3. With 18 remaining, it takes 10 to kill.