TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by MRandall25 »

This World Wars program on History is pretty well done.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

shmenguin wrote:Between the spilt season over two years and the final scene of this finale I think mad men is trying to flip its viewers the bird for some reason.
Not at all. I thought the episode and the whole season was terrific.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Gaucho wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Between the spilt season over two years and the final scene of this finale I think mad men is trying to flip its viewers the bird for some reason.
Not at all. I thought the episode and the whole season was terrific.
I agree, finale this past week was excellent. I got a Michael Corleone vibe from Don in this episode the way he was sitting in the chair. For a second, I thought I heard some Godfather music in there as well.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i liked the finale. i didn't like the last scene.
Spoiler:
cooper never had any resonance. he was a marginal character whose only purpose was to remind people that things used to be different. so i don't think there's really anything to glean from his death or don's...hallucination? psychotic break? daydream? whatever it was.
the season was good, only because every mad men season is good. relative to the mad men standard, it was maybe average. probably a little below that.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shmenguin wrote:i liked the finale. i didn't like the last scene.
Spoiler:
cooper never had any resonance. he was a marginal character whose only purpose was to remind people that things used to be different. so i don't think there's really anything to glean from his death or don's...hallucination? psychotic break? daydream? whatever it was.
the season was good, only because every mad men season is good. relative to the mad men standard, it was maybe average. probably a little below that.
Spoiler:
I think the last scene was more of a tribute to Robert Morse the broadway/film actor (How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying) than Bert Cooper. Him doing it in his socks was a nice touch though.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

24:
2-3pm
(I.e. a week ago)
Spoiler:
Can't believe the terrorist mother would cut off her own daughter's fingers
3-4pm (last night):
Spoiler:
and can't believe same daughter stood by and let said mother kill her husband

I get there are real people out there that could be that cold and evil but it seems a bit too much.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think the last scene was more of a tribute to Robert Morse the broadway/film actor (How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying) than Bert Cooper. Him doing it in his socks was a nice touch though.
Spoiler:
yeah, i've seen that sentiment floating around. but if the character doesn't really deserve much of a sendoff, then the actor playing the character sure as hell doesn't need one either.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

shmenguin wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
yeah, i've seen that sentiment floating around. but if the character doesn't really deserve much of a sendoff, then the actor playing the character sure as hell doesn't need one either.
Spoiler:
I don't know why you'd feel that Cooper "doesn't deserve much of a sendoff", tbh.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i explained it one of the posts you just quoted.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I don't see it that way. *shrug*
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Spangler wrote:
dodint wrote:Yeah, I'm with you. There is still flashes of brilliance but it's bordering on bad now. How you bring in Pamela Adlon and then do nothing with her is just, wow.
I just looked her up, and I had no idea she voiced Bobby Hill, as well as characters from many different TV shows I watched as a kid.

She was good in Lucky Louie, too which is why she's on the show in the first place.
I watched Lucky Louie straight through about two months ago on HBOGo. Was really excited when she showed up, and then, literally nothing. I know that's the joke, but meh.

Watched the first episode from last night. Louie was at one of the Pens/Rangers games, so that was interesting. Fluery/Crosby/Nisky along with Kreider got some camera time. The rest of the episode was awful, the only highlight being when Louie joked about killing his kid which was funny given the mild criticism I got for making the same suggestion.

Anyway, the rest of the show was awful. It really has turned a corner for me to the extent that I don't look forward to watching it which is a bad place to be for a show that has a cult following. I didn't even watch the second episode and I normally binge them together. It's just bad.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Anyone ever watch Farscape?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

eddysnake wrote:Anyone ever watch Farscape?
I likes Farscape, but it got a little... trippy near the end.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

MRandall25 wrote:This World Wars program on History is pretty well done.
I was a little disappointed with it. I was a big fan of The Men Who Built America and was hoping that this would be similar to that, but it felt a little off for some reason. I'm hoping it picks up tonight.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Jim wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Anyone ever watch Farscape?
I likes Farscape, but it got a little... trippy near the end.
it looks and sounds pretty interesting. I'm getting close to finishing Firefly and this looks like they take up the intelligence a notch. Going to give it a shot. I'm OK with trippy.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Nuge wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:This World Wars program on History is pretty well done.
I was a little disappointed with it. I was a big fan of The Men Who Built America and was hoping that this would be similar to that, but it felt a little off for some reason. I'm hoping it picks up tonight.
I think the actor they chose to play the young Hitler didn't exactly give off a Hitler-type vibe. He just ended up looking like a whiny emo hipster with a Hitler stache (unless that's what they were going for).

I also guess another part of it feeling "off" was that they pretty much tried to fit 7 or 8 WWI origin stories into 2 hours or however long it was. There wasn't really a lot of time to fully touch on Mussolini, Stalin, Patton, Churchill, Hitler, Japan (who were only really mentioned in the last 10 minutes of the program), Wilson, etc. and what they did cover felt rushed and ended awkwardly in an in-between time period.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

relantel wrote:24:
2-3pm
(I.e. a week ago)
Spoiler:
Can't believe the terrorist mother would cut off her own daughter's fingers
3-4pm (last night):
Spoiler:
and can't believe same daughter stood by and let said mother kill her husband

I get there are real people out there that could be that cold and evil but it seems a bit too much.
My thoughts
Spoiler:
First off, let me just say that they have done an outstanding job with this series so far. I think the 12 hour season helps them to pack more stuff in without it feeling forced. Definitely a lot more action.

I don't have an issue with her daughter standing by...if anything, it makes them more scary because of how committed they are. Although I knew the daughter would turn on her husband as soon as he told her about the code.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I am definitely enjoying 24 so far. It's nothing earth-shattering or new, but so far, it's been most of the good qualities of the series, as opposed to a lot of the filler episodes and pointless plot twists they were roped into to try to fill out 24 episodes.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Little Women: LA debuted tonight on Lifetime.

If our friends weren't on it, there's no way I'd be watching this mess.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

The Castle finale...
Spoiler:
Obviously they aren't going to kill off the main character, but did anyone else notice as they showed Beckett with tears in her eyes looking down at the fiery crash, the voiceover guy says "Castle and Beckett will be back in the fall solving all new murders". Just came across as really bad regardless if we already know he's not dead.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Mad med
Spoiler:
Does anyone think Megan is actually going away? I guess i was wrong about them killing her this season, but anything to get rid of her.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

obhave wrote:Mad med
Spoiler:
Does anyone think Megan is actually going away? I guess i was wrong about them killing her this season, but anything to get rid of her.
Spoiler:
Looks like they're done with California, so I guess there'll be very little, if any, Megan in the final half-season.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Gaucho wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Looks like they're done with California, so I guess there'll be very little, if any, Megan in the final half-season.
Spoiler:
Would mad med be a like version of mad men, but with doctors instead of advertisers? And still set in the 60s? 'Cause I would totally watch that show :pop:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Gaucho wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Please.....she's awful.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Caught up on 24. Good stuff. Agree with shad on the finger thing