TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by PensFanInDC »

Started re-watching Oz. Man what a great show this is.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Cant wait for the final season of Wilfred on FXX.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Started re-watching Oz. Man what a great show this is.

Love that show but remember the ending feeling "meh".
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Oz definitely goes off the rails at some point. Its not as black and white as other shows that jump the shark or drop quality dramatically and suddenly, but its a slow degradation. By the end, you're not even sure why you're watching it anymore.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

canaan wrote:Oz definitely goes off the rails at some point. Its not as black and white as other shows that jump the shark or drop quality dramatically and suddenly, but its a slow degradation. By the end, you're not even sure why you're watching it anymore.
Beacher v. Schilinger is why I kept watching. Did not disappoint....until the very end. F you Keller.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Oz was good, but the last season was kinda off.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I was skeptical at first, but Chicago PD was actually pretty good.
will watch season two.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Oz had an amazing cast. I routinely see actors from that show on other things.

I watched Dexter before I had ever seen Oz, and I was surprised Doakes, Angel, and Rodriguez were all on the show.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Orange is the New Black is fantastic. Really looking forward to season two.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Spangler wrote:Oz had an amazing cast. I routinely see actors from that show on other things.

I watched Dexter before I had ever seen Oz, and I was surprised Doakes, Angel, and Rodriguez were all on the show.
A bunch of them were onLaw and Order shows. Beacher is currently on The Americans.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

columbia wrote:I was skeptical at first, but Chicago PD was actually pretty good.
will watch season two.
Just have to watch out when they have Chicago Fire intermix significant to the plot (as opposed to the incidental character tie-ins). Learned the hard way that if I watched out of air order between Fire and PD that I could spoil the former. (I.e. they had at least one two parter where the first part was in Fire and the second in PD)
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I wish Louie's kids would die. He could do a two part cathartic mourning episode and then the kids and wife would be out of the show and he could go back to being funny. Those kids are like comedy boat anchors.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Nice outcome on survivor. Good to see the jury's butthurt didn't get the best of them. Too bad Russell never got judged that way.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

dodint wrote:I wish Louie's kids would die. He could do a two part cathartic mourning episode and then the kids and wife would be out of the show and he could go back to being funny. Those kids are like comedy boat anchors.
Harsh
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

So, you don't watch the show, then? Or you're emotionally invested in fictional tween girls?

He can't kill them off because he'd lose about 60% of the material, from a practical standpoint. It'd be nice if the ex-wife took a job in LA or something and the girls went with, if that is more palatable to your sensibilitites.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I bought a bluray player that has wifi and apps on it (Netflix being one of those apps). I finally broke down and got a netflix account (just streaming). Started watching house of cards. I'm only 2 episodes in and I'm hooked.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

shmenguin wrote:Nice outcome on survivor. Good to see the jury's butthurt didn't get the best of them. Too bad Russell never got judged that way.
He deserved to win.

Russel seems like a genuinely bad person in real life, where I believe this guy was simply playing the game and chose not to be the good guy in order to win.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

tony was actually really nice to everyone. he just lied. constantly. the only "bad" thing he did was swear on the lives of his family. that was gross.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

count2infinity wrote:I bought a bluray player that has wifi and apps on it (Netflix being one of those apps). I finally broke down and got a netflix account (just streaming). Started watching house of cards. I'm only 2 episodes in and I'm hooked.
We have our master bedroom TV set up this way - Sony blu ray player with built in wifi (though we now use it's Ethernet port since it is in the same room as our router) - actively using Netflix and Hulu Plus depending on the show we are catching up on. I've been working my way through Bones season 2 now. Perhaps unhealthily so... been up past 3 the past two nights blasting my way through. Couldn't sleep the first night, but last night was self inflicted. Think last night was past 4am. Very easy to keep on trucking on Netflix with no commercials.

General Bones:
Spoiler:
I wonder if my reactions to the dance between Booth and Bones in this season (and the way they make each look quite promiscuous in the process) is colored by having seen some 8th season eps and the entire 9th season.
Specific Bones (colored thru S2 E20):
Spoiler:
I really hated the shift from the head of the lab season 1 to the head season 2. Maybe my opinion will change as I watch on, but at least at this point, that hate was sealed when they hooked Booth up with her. Then the opposite when they had Sully in there. Really hated that character - but kind of fitting that Booth told her to go with him and she stayed anyway. Loved the Brit psychiatrist. And I guess I am liking the way they are portraying Bones' father. The tension between Booth and Bones seems building to burst - kind of like Ross and Rachel - where everyone else knows before they do. Yet I get the feeling that it will be dragged out for quite some time longer.

TURN: we finished off the Mr. Culpeper episode last night.
Spoiler:
Culpeper is a county and town in northern Virginia, on US 15/29 about a half-hour south of Warrenton (Fauquier county) or maybe 40 minutes from Manassas (now independent city inside of Prince William county), all of this being in the greater Washington, D.C. area. Fauquier county borders Stafford county, where George Washington's boyhood home is said to be (Ferry Farm - just across the Rappahannock river from Fredericksburg). Quite a bit of info on wiki, as apparently this is based on real people and a real Mr. Culper (from Culpeper): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Woodhull" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course Simcoe will come back to haunt them...
And a little bit of symmetry between the two - Aldis Hodge was a guest in season 2 Bones (Pre Leverage of course) and was prominent in the above episode of TURN.

Gang Related -
We watched this pilot last night. Has promise enough to watch again next week.

Chicago PD - watched the season finale. So did not expect the ending
Spoiler:
(in the form of who died)
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

dodint wrote:I wish Louie's kids would die. He could do a two part cathartic mourning episode and then the kids and wife would be out of the show and he could go back to being funny. Those kids are like comedy boat anchors.
I said it before I'll say it again. The show sucks now.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, I'm with you. There is still flashes of brilliance but it's bordering on bad now. How you bring in Pamela Adlon and then do nothing with her is just, wow.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

dodint wrote:Yeah, I'm with you. There is still flashes of brilliance but it's bordering on bad now. How you bring in Pamela Adlon and then do nothing with her is just, wow.
I just looked her up, and I had no idea she voiced Bobby Hill, as well as characters from many different TV shows I watched as a kid.

She was good in Lucky Louie, too which is why she's on the show in the first place.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

shmenguin wrote:tony was actually really nice to everyone. he just lied. constantly. the only "bad" thing he did was swear on the lives of his family. that was gross.
Meh. People take that show, and other reality competitions too personally. If I were in the reality comp setting, I would say and do anything to get ahead or persuade. Its not real life and it would have 0.00% impact on the way my family would view me. If I hesitated to make one play because I was worried what the impact that my comments pr actions might reflect on outside circumstances, I would've already been overtaken by a regret that is sure to come.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Then again, I told my wife that if I was on big brother, I would act single as can be to try to corral a female minion. :pop:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Between the spilt season over two years and the final scene of this finale I think mad men is trying to flip its viewers the bird for some reason.