TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by PensFanInDC »

Does Justified ever gain a continuous story line or is it all episodic?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Does Justified ever gain a continuous story line or is it all episodic?
I'm behind on this season, but if it follows the pattern of the other seasons, it will have a main story line - usually one "bad guy" that Raylan faces off in the final episode.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Does Justified ever gain a continuous story line or is it all episodic?
I'm behind on this season, but if it follows the pattern of the other seasons, it will have a main story line - usually one "bad guy" that Raylan faces off in the final episode.
Good. So far I'm S01e06 and nothing much has happened aside from episode 1 which was fantastic. Been a steady decline since...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

pens9192 wrote:My wife got me hooked on this show: http://www.diynetwork.com/rehab-addict/ ... ive_footer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am in love with her and my wife is ok with that (my wife says she is in love with her too). She looks good in everything and knows her s*** too.
i usually like any DIY show that isn't some staged piece of shlock, but this one has been pretty boring any time i've seen it.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Justified, as mentioned above, is pretty formulaic in that there is one main criminal focus each season and it all comes to a head in the final episode of said season. 1 was decent, 2 was pretty great, 3 was a step behind 2, I skipped 4 after watching the first few episodes, 5 was on par with 3. So, subjectively of course, it's 2, 3/5, 1, 4 for me. I'll watch Season 6, the final season when it airs.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

With regard to Justified, I think the first half of season 1 is definitely the weakest part of the whole run. They start figuring out how to put together long-term plot lines in the back half of that first season, and then things are pretty good from there. I thought season 5 was a little bit weaker, but 2-4 were all pretty good (4 starts out kind of aimlessly, but things really tie together nicely in the last 3-4 episodes).
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

largegarlic wrote:With regard to Justified, I think the first half of season 1 is definitely the weakest part of the whole run. They start figuring out how to put together long-term plot lines in the back half of that first season, and then things are pretty good from there. I thought season 5 was a little bit weaker, but 2-4 were all pretty good (4 starts out kind of aimlessly, but things really tie together nicely in the last 3-4 episodes).
A lot of shows do this and I think it might be related to not knowing if a show is going to stick around or not. No sense in injecting a full fledged story if its not going to last. Fringe was the same way and then a very long story arc came into play. I've watched 7 episodes but outside the first one the rest has been very blah. Ill give the rest of season 1 a chance.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Caught up on Turn, I feel like it's catching pace. I hope it gets picked up for another season. Stephen Root can't hurt a cast.

Started watching Silicon Valley after hearing Mike Judge pitching it on the Stern show. Liked the first episode, going to watch the rest in the next week or so.

Is anyone planning to start AMCs Halt and Catch Fire on June 1? It's a drama set during the 80s PC boom. Looks like it just might be able to catch my nerd nerve just enough.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

The first episode of Halt and Catch Fire is available on the AMCTV.com website. Looks interesting.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, it debuted at SXSW where it got some buzz. But that's preaching to the choir there so I'll watch it on my own when the time comes.

Appropriate banter for page 404.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Bones...

just....
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Spoiler:
So now we've got Chicago Fire, Castle, and Bones with major cliffhanger season finales. That's what I get for not being so far behind, I get to wait longer for the resolution. Damn.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Mad Men was great as always, it hasn't hit me nor feels like the series should be over in 8 more episodes. Past seasons felt more like series finales than this.

nice subtle quote from Joans mom this week:
Spoiler:
The Jews close everything on Saturday
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

eddysnake wrote:Mad Men was great as always, it hasn't hit me nor feels like the series should be over in 8 more episodes. Past seasons felt more like series finales than this.

nice subtle quote from Joans mom this week:
Spoiler:
The Jews close everything on Saturday
I'm beginning to wonder if the show will even have some big conclusion or if it will just end with some things wrapped up, but most things just going on like normal.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Silicon Valley
Spoiler:
"You are gay for my code. You are code gay." :lol:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

I think Silicon Valley is starting to settle into a nice little groove. Been pretty great these past few episodes.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

meecrofilm wrote:I think Silicon Valley is starting to settle into a nice little groove. Been pretty great these past few episodes.
I agree, Erlich, Dinesh and Gilfoyle are hilarious. Actually everyone on that show is really good, great casting.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

eddysnake wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:I think Silicon Valley is starting to settle into a nice little groove. Been pretty great these past few episodes.
I agree, Erlich, Dinesh and Gilfoyle are hilarious. Actually everyone on that show is really good, great casting.
i enjoy this show.

*canaan seal of approval
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Shield, Forrest Gump actor Michael Jace was arrested and charged with the murder of his wife.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

You mean The Great White Hype's Michael Jace
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Tuh...tuh....turked?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Excellent affect on the written Goldblum
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Unpopular opinion alert...

While I don't like her stand up at all, I've found the few skits I've seen on Inside Amy Shumer to be quite funny.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Weird. I like her stand-up, and wanted to like Inside Amy Shumer, but it's a no-go. My wife DVR'd it last year and made it through two episodes before killing it. I'd like her to succeed but I'll be surprised if it happens with that vehicle.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Run out of most other things to catch up on Hulu, finally started watching Line of Duty, on account of Lennie James being in it. Two seasons are on there, 11 total episodes. These run a full 60 minutes worth (as opposed to the normal 42 & change), probably on account of the show's UK origin. Based on IMDB only showing him in 5 episodes, about assume the two different seasons cover two different larger arc cases.

[youtube][/youtube]