TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by PensFanInDC »

Sherlock is fantastic
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

PensFanInDC wrote:Sherlock is fantastic

Moriarty is so good in that show, that actor is awesome
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

The amazing race finale was too stupid to have actually happened. Whoever had the best cab driver won I guess. That was literally the only thing that mattered. I don't count "who can screw in a lightbulb fastest" as an actual challenge either. I've never seen that show and thought, "that was dumb". But this one...good god.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Yeah, that was pretty underwhelming, especially for an All Stars season. The last season had several difficult tasks which could flip the order. This one was pretty lame.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Finally watched Person of Interest finale earlier. It was very, very good.

I am concerned about the future direction of the show from here though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I'm annoyed that Spike decided to start shoving Tiffany Derry into all of Jon Taffer's shows. She annoyed me on her two seasons of Top Chef, and it's no better now. She at least plays a small enough role when she is on Bar Rescue since the kitchen usually is a smaller focus, unless it is ridiculously dirty... but the new show Hungry investors where she is front and center as one of the main people... Yeah, can't watch it.

I'm kind of saddened by what Kitchen Nightmares has become. I was a huge fan of the British version (which was far superior, IMO), but it has really gone down hill on the American version. It's at the point where they just look for the most stubborn or obnoxious people with the dirtiest kitchens so Ramsay can yell a lot. Most of the time, I don't really care if the people succeed because they are unlikable. The Amy's Baking Company episode from last season was interesting in that it was a total and complete train wreck and the lady is legitimately insane... but most of the episodes are just there at this point.

Every episode follows a similar pattern... Owners have no idea why their restaurant is failing and their food is a 11/10. Ramsay shows up and hates all the food and tells them it's crap. Owner fights back. Ramsay tells them they're delusional. Insert 20-30 additional minutes of kitchen inspection and owners fighting and in denial before they hit a magical turning point. The restaurant receives a complete makeover and new menu. Relaunch starts off sketchy, but ultimately is successful. Everyone hugs and Ramsay makes a comment about some ridiculous moment at the restaurant while walking off screen.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

So.....Maya Rudolph has a variety show now?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

the wicked child wrote:Finally watched Person of Interest finale earlier. It was very, very good.

Yeah. no idea what's going to happen next season.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

shmenguin wrote:The amazing race finale was too stupid to have actually happened. Whoever had the best cab driver won I guess. That was literally the only thing that mattered. I don't count "who can screw in a lightbulb fastest" as an actual challenge either. I've never seen that show and thought, "that was dumb". But this one...good god.
yeah, I thought that was WAY too easy for a final leg. I guess the producers caught on to the fact that teams were taking notes about the legs and figured that a memory challenge was a waste of time.

winning team:
Spoiler:
glad to see Connor and Dave win though. they ran a great race.
second place team:
Spoiler:
surprised the Country Girls did that well. they certainly used everything they had at their disposal
third place team:
Spoiler:
lol at the Brenchels! at first I thought having the finale in Vegas would be a huge advantage for them but apparently not. they got really stupid and unnecessarily dirty in the last few legs and karma came back and bit them in the @$$.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Spoiler:
I was glad the married couple didn't win especially after they were trying to motivate the cab drivers by telling them they were going to have a baby if they won. Just by looking at those two and imagining their demon spawn that statement would have the opposite affect on me.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
Spoiler:
I was glad the married couple didn't win especially after they were trying to motivate the cab drivers by telling them they were going to have a baby if they won. Just by looking at those two and imagining their demon spawn that statement would have the opposite affect on me.
Ha ha. My eight year old thought she was ridiculous and was still making fun of her this morning, doing Rachel crying impersonations.

Very underwhelming final challenge. I can't remember a time when there wasn't a memory challenge for that last leg. Flags, currencies, greetings...maybe they ran out of stuff for memory challenges.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

blackjack68 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Finally watched Person of Interest finale earlier. It was very, very good.

Yeah. no idea what's going to happen next season.
Spoiler:
If the show is just going to be the two machines at war with each other... not sure about that.

As I've mentioned before, I kind of enjoy the more standard episodes where they are investigating a number. Traditional doesn't have to be boring. IMO, the episode from earlier in S3 with the lawyer accused of killing her husband was one of the best episodes of the show. Twists and turns abound and an ambiguous ending.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

shmenguin wrote:The amazing race finale was too stupid to have actually happened. Whoever had the best cab driver won I guess. That was literally the only thing that mattered. I don't count "who can screw in a lightbulb fastest" as an actual challenge either. I've never seen that show and thought, "that was dumb". But this one...good god.
My wife and I said the same thing. Usually they have some crazy puzzle or have a challenge that pulls back all of your tasks from the race with a memory challenge.

But like you said, as long as you knew how to screw in a lightbulb and had a good cab driver, that is all that mattered.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i wanted dave and connor to lose. their butthurt over being u-turned was insufferable. they got u-turned so that brendan/rachel could win the leg. and it worked. they won the leg. what's the issue?

highlight of the episode was dave telling david copperfield that he believed in magic like he was a 6 year old. i have no doubts that he was being sincere.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

canaan wrote:I'm torn on louie. I honestly can't tell if its tackling real life issues with an honest approach or just poorly constructed soapboxing.
The show is pretty awful now. He doesn't bring the funny, it's not even really a commentary on real life. It's just a bunch of non sequitur crap. Like the benefit with Seinfeld episode. Louie is such an every man. He didn't realize the Hamptons was swanky. Oh man he's so unprepared. But look a super hot chick and Louie is awkward again. Oh man he's such an every man. Oh no he punched her, what a weird happening. That Louie really has such a weird normal guy with interesting things happening life. :roll:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I forced myself to watch an episode of Two Drunk Girls.
That's some high end ****.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Finished off current seasons of Arrow this AM, and Castle yesterday.

Arrow:
Those last 90 seconds or so I guess set up the next layer of intrigue, and of rethinking everything we've learned so far in that new light.

Castle:
Spoiler:
Kind of a what are they doing kind of episode... but the cliffhanger is only just a cliffhanger as the title character is pretty safe from being killed off.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Thinking about starting up Arrow.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

relantel wrote:Tonight's Bones showed a Lemieux Jersey on the wall at the 2 minute mark...
Spoiler:
in Booth/Bones' house
David Boreanaz is a die-hard Flyers fan in real life.

Loving "TURN" and "Sherlock" right now. Must-see TV for me.

Samuel Roukin, the actor who plays Simcoe on "TURN" is amazing. I love hating him.
Spoiler:
I do believe he really has fallen for Anna, and it's not just a power thing for him. But because he's a total psychopath he can only speak to her via intimidation for now. The scene at the duel where you see him ever-so-slightly soften at Anna's behest was compelling. And now Selah Strong is being released, although Samuel Tallmadge's name is on the release list...good stuff.
The real story behind the Culpeper Ring is fascinating stuff.

"Sherlock" is hilarious. Mrs. Hudson is a trip. I worry just a little bit that it could seek the shark and jump over it by becoming too campy. But right now, it's smart and great fun.
Spoiler:
I didn't this coming: Mary as a former CIA assassin?
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Mon May 19, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Mad Men was good. 2014 finale next week already.

Pete Campbell might be the biggest feminine hygiene product on television.
Spoiler:
Jessy Schram is easy on the eyes.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Lt. Dish wrote:
relantel wrote:Tonight's Bones showed a Lemieux Jersey on the wall at the 2 minute mark...
Spoiler:
in Booth/Bones' house
His dad was the "big" local weatherman for years on the Philly ABC station.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Lt. Dish wrote:
Spoiler:
in Booth/Bones' house
That's funny. I noticed a Steeler mug on the desk at some point in the first season (in middle of S1E21 right now), and the hockey interest has been clear (Think the office has one of the famous Bobby Orr photos on the wall, though I couldn't tell you if that was S1 or S9 at this point - not seen S2-S8 yet), but I thought I had heard a Flyer reference at one point so I was a little confused.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

relantel wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Spoiler:
in Booth/Bones' house
That's funny. I noticed a Steeler mug on the desk at some point in the first season (in middle of S1E21 right now), and the hockey interest has been clear (Think the office has one of the famous Bobby Orr photos on the wall, though I couldn't tell you if that was S1 or S9 at this point - not seen S2-S8 yet), but I thought I had heard a Flyer reference at one point so I was a little confused.
Yeah, now that you mention it, I've read that he's a big Steelers fan, too.

blackjack, you're right--I remember his dad on TV. He was a nice, pleasant avuncular old dude. 6ABC gave him a farewell tribute on par with Mariano Rivera's when he retired.

Just saw this about "Sherlock":

Sherlock gets 69 million viewers in China despite being banned

https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/sherlock-gets-6 ... 16446.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

My wife got me hooked on this show: http://www.diynetwork.com/rehab-addict/ ... ive_footer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am in love with her and my wife is ok with that (my wife says she is in love with her too). She looks good in everything and knows her s*** too.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

relantel wrote:Finished off current seasons of Arrow this AM, and Castle yesterday.

Arrow:
Those last 90 seconds or so I guess set up the next layer of intrigue, and of rethinking everything we've learned so far in that new light.

Castle:
Spoiler:
Kind of a what are they doing kind of episode... but the cliffhanger is only just a cliffhanger as the title character is pretty safe from being killed off.
RE: Castle

They were only announced as being re-upped earlier this month. I wonder if they filmed two endings just in case they had to string us along another year.