GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by llipgh2 »

Ommegang's summer ale, Fleur De Houblon. Nice and hoppy. Not weak like a lot of summer beers.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Fleur De Houblon is really good.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

What a Friday.

Fantome from the collection:
Spoiler:
+

First flank steak on the grill this year:
Spoiler:
mmmmmm
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, now up at the plate.

Points to the fresh Hops section in the outfield. Pitch made, .... Fresh Squeezed, using no malt muscle, puts this pitch so far above the heads and hands in Hops section that most never even realized how fresh, fresh hops can be. No sticky resin from the pine or sugar from the pineapple.

On tap. Probably put in a holding tank yesterday. Brewery fresh. Made it through 5 innings of freshness.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Had Souther Tier's Grand Arbor last night. Not my favorite style, but thought I'd try it. Pretty good and refreshing. Also had Unknown Brewery IPA out if charlotte. Ok. A bit too bitter for my tastes.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Forgot all about the Bomber of Gouden Brugge I got a few weeks back... drinking that tonight. Not my favorite from Draai Laag, but not bad either. The second pour is actually much better... got the "goodies" from the end of the bottle and it added quite a bit to the flavor.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Got St Bernardus ABT 12. First time having a quad, and I'm impressed.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

MRandall25 wrote:I need some new stuff to try, and I figure you guys can help.

I like:

Stouts
Porters
Wits
Weizens
Some ales (preferably not of the pale variety, unless you say Nugget Nectar)

Went to Whole Foods, stood there for 5 minutes, and ended up with Dreamweaver because I didn't know what else to get. I did see Golden Monkey, but I didn't want to buy the 6er in case I didn't like it. Hoping you guys can suggest a few things to look for that are similar to the aforementioned styles.

I'd give doppelbocks and weizenbocks a look. doppelbocks: Ayinger Celbrator, Troegenator, Bell's Consecrator. weizenbocks: Schneider Weiss Aventinus, Ayinger Weizenbock, Victory Moonglow.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The only thing that I would add to that is if you see Weihenstephaner Vitus, go for it. It's not generally available in PA, but perhaps you will have better luck in Ohio.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'm back in PA, so I'm just going to assume I won't have an easy time finding it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

MRandall25 wrote:I'm back in PA, so I'm just going to assume I won't have an easy time finding it.
Yeah, probably ain't gonna happen in that case. I believe only the Hefe and premium are sold in PA (when you can even find those). Aventinus is a damn fine 'consolation' in its own right though. Damn fine. I'd call them 1A and 1B in the weizenbock race.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

the wicked child wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I'm back in PA, so I'm just going to assume I won't have an easy time finding it.
Yeah, probably ain't gonna happen in that case. I believe only the Hefe and premium are sold in PA (when you can even find those). Aventinus is a damn fine 'consolation' in its own right though. Damn fine. I'd call them 1A and 1B in the weizenbock race.
Yeah, both are pretty damn special beers. I'd say of the two, Vitus tastes more like a beer if that makes sense. I think Aventinus has a more complex flavor, and definitely has a thicker mouth feel. But both are supremely drinkable at 8+%abv.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Unibroue Noire du Chambly. One of the 750ml bottles I grabbed in Quebec

Pretty enjoyable strong dark ale. Trappist ales have never really been my favorite style, but this one is pretty solid. It is more balanced, and less "banana-heavy" and spiced that I feel like a lot of the other beers are.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

shafnutz05 wrote:Unibroue Noire du Chambly. One of the 750ml bottles I grabbed in Quebec

Pretty enjoyable strong dark ale. Trappist ales have never really been my favorite style, but this one is pretty solid. It is more balanced, and less "banana-heavy" and spiced that I feel like a lot of the other beers are.
Sounds pretty good. I don't remember seeing it around here.

Kraftster: does our Jiggle have it?
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

shafnutz05 wrote:Unibroue Noire du Chambly. One of the 750ml bottles I grabbed in Quebec

Hope they carry that in Ohio, because I have enjoyed several Unibroue offerings, and I love trappist ales and strong dark Belgian ales. Look forward to trying this one. (BTW, Blanche de Chambly is one that I have tried, and it's quite good, though a Belgian wit, so quite different).
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Southern Tier is selling out of their Phin and Matt named product before they start selling PMX (which is a stupid change). Brewery had buy 1 case get 1 free, couldn't beat that. Also picked up a case of Bells Oberon and Stone Variety Pack (Ruination, IPA, Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Black IPA, and Arrogant Bastard- for $39 which I thought was a good deal). Got an Avengers birthday partay this weekend for the 5 yr old. Should be a nice weekend!
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Eismann wrote:

Sounds pretty good. I don't remember seeing it around here.

Kraftster: does our Jiggle have it?
Hmm, I don't recall seeing it, only the Blance de Chamblay.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

What's a good recommendation for a decent, not too expensive beer I can get for a Memorial Day party for people who aren't that into beer? I'll have some good stuff, some swill, and need a middle tier option. Ideas?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

MWB wrote:What's a good recommendation for a decent, not too expensive beer I can get for a Memorial Day party for people who aren't that into beer? I'll have some good stuff, some swill, and need a middle tier option. Ideas?
I would probably say Sam Summer
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Sierra Summer
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Bell's Oberon
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Is Sams summer any good? It's been awhile since I've had it and didn't like it. I want to get something I'll drink if there is some leftover. I know I like Oberon and Sierra, but those are pricier. May just need to go that route.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

It's fine. But i'd rather spend the extra 5-6 dollars and get sierra summer.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Re: Sierra, I think you might actually be surprised how cheap it is relative to Sam. Sierra Nevada tends to be very fair in their pricing.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Giant iggle has pretty fair pricing for sierra nevada bombers. This gentleman will agree with shafnutz assesment.