Mark Madden claim - Pens execs nixed major trade

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Mark Madden claim - Pens execs nixed major trade

Post by Lt. Dish »

ShipHockey7 wrote:The crappy site that is insidepittsburghsports says this:
Even before the playoffs, James Neal had been a name for months making the rounds among executives as a potential player in play this summer. The Penguins received a significant offer for Neal last summer around the draft from the Vancouver Canucks in a proposed deal that would sent Alex Edler and more pieces to the Penguins.
Take it with a grain of salt due to the source, but its something

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ges/65038/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't believe that site still exists.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Hahah, same.

That proposed deal might be even worse than the website. Actually, it definitely is.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I was just thinking...we really need less goal-scoring wingers and more Letang's...I know Vancouver Canucks fans feel they don't have enough average skating goal-scoring wingers either besides Daniel Sedin, Alexandre Burrows, Zack Kassian or Christopher Higgins...
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

There is a lot of things to examine with Shero from his vision on how to build a team, poor drafts, installing a country club atmosphere
That's how the article ends. Was there supposed to be more to that sentence? Not to mention its "There are" a lot of things.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by RJW76 »

Dere be lotsa issues wit dese 'Guinnies
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

People keep ragging on Shero for bad drafts... he has not drafted that poorly at all. Sure he hasn't gotten many wing pick, but he has done darn well at pulling dmen and then turning them into other assets, even if just playoff rentals.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Jim wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Letang? Lulz. I wonder if this story takes place before or after he signed his extension.
"but Madden said he's heard that the penguins executives turned down a trade of a major penguin before he signed a new contract due to marketability of that player."
Madden has stated numerous times that it is in fact Letang he is talking about.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Stan Savran just mentioned that he was told by a source the same thing that Madden claims.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

While it may be a fact ownership nixed a trade (it happens), the "due to marketability of that player" sounds like an opinion.

Mario puts a lot of value on puck moving defensemen. He was always working with teammates to improve the breakout. He wanted the puck on his stick with speed as soon as possible. So it makes sense he would value Letang.

IMO, we see that in how the Pens play today. Perhaps to some negative effect under DB.

It goes further than transition though. In some ways, Mario Lemieux is a brand. This is a brand that holds itself to a high standard. It is not only important to win, but it is important to win magnificently.

I know that will be offensive to some, but this has been the brand of he and the Penguins for decades. If I am right, who is anyone to question it? For not only has it has been true for so long, it has also brought glory, prestige and success to a relatively small market franchise.

For better or worse, there is some ideology attached to this franchise and it will probably remain while Mario is involved.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Jim wrote:People keep ragging on Shero for bad drafts... he has not drafted that poorly at all. Sure he hasn't gotten many wing pick, but he has done darn well at pulling dmen and then turning them into other assets, even if just playoff rentals.
Gogo and Whitney were CP picks. As was Noah Welch. Even if he had traded Letang.... still was selected under the old regime.

The "best" Shero has done in that regard is mangling the 2011 draft in selecting then trading Morrow for Morrow.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

List of players drafted and traded by Shero:

1. Jordan Staal (C) - Sutter, Dumoulin, Pouliot
2. Carl Sneep (D) - Conditional 7th round pick
3. Chad Johnson (G) - 5th round pick
4. Angelo Esposito (C) - Hossa, Dupuis
5. Luca Caputi (W) - Ponikarovsky
6. Alex Grant (D) - Harry Zolnierczyk
7. Ben Hanowski (W) - Jarome Iginla
8. Kenny Agostino (W) - Iginla
9. Joe Morrow (D) - Morrow

So I guess he did stockpile defensemen to trade and acquire Brenden Morrow, Harry Zolnierczyk, and a conditional 7th round pick
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I am sorry but "marketability" you already got the face of the NHL (sid) why do you need another marketable player. If a deal came up for a Letang I would hope you yes or no decision on the deal would come down to logistics not the fact you might be able to put his face on a t-shirt and have it sell.

Letang has made his value rise with his showing in the playoffs. I can see him being dealt if we can get the right return for him.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

Given everything that has happened, I wouldn't be surprised if this rumor didn't come from the Shero camp. I just don't see Letang as a guy that sells seats, and given that Shero has now been fired - it makes me wonder if this wasn't put out there to counter that firing should it take place (which it has)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wouldn't this be the Kessler trade talks? Sounded like their was a lot of chit chat about that deal for some time....
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'm gonna say that that was a lot more fluff than stuff if I had to guess...