Mark Madden claim - Pens execs nixed major trade

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Mark Madden claim - Pens execs nixed major trade

Post by DropEmJayBird »

not sure if anyone heard it, and I'm not putting it on pens related,

but Madden said he's heard that the penguins executives turned down a trade of a major penguin before he signed a new contract due to marketability of that player.

Only two I can think of recently is Malkin and Letang.

Now a couple of things - could that be true with this ownership group at all... who knows.
Also - if Madden knows this, and he said he'll reveal more about it after the playoffs - isn't he no better than those in the pittsburgh media who cover the steelers and pirates that he rags on over and over for towing the company line?

Now the fun part - if it's true, and it was Malkin - I wonder what the return was that the penguins hockey management side approved?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Mark Madden claim - Pens execs nixed major trade

Post by penny lane »

Couldn't the said player of "marketability" be Sid ?
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

If it was anyone it was probably Malkin. Can't even begin to imagine what the return would have been.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Madden saying stuff to stir the pot. It's his shtick. His track record with inside pens news is well known....he knows nothing.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by neophool »

trading malkin would be so stupid, i can't even begin to think what the return would have been. if people in the organization were wanted to go forward, it must have been a king's ransom and then some.

if it had anything to do with vancouver, thank god it got killed.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

skullman80 wrote:Madden saying stuff to stir the pot. It's his shtick. His track record with inside pens news is well known....he knows nothing.
I agree, just odd that he would preface this with if they lose, I"ll let this cat out of the bag type of attitude.

My guess is that when he finally does spill this rumor - he'll do it using some wrestling gimmick... "I'm afraid I have some Bad News"
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Mark Madden is still on the radio? Wow
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Guy pulls big ratings. Not my style but the guy knows what he is doing.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by She'sTheFastest »

skullman80 wrote:Guy pulls big ratings. Not my style but the guy knows what he is doing.
Once you get through his fat *** with a chip on his shoulder because he is large and ugly, his analysis is spot on. You just have to catch him when he's saying something intelligent. Unfortunately, that's only about 20% of the time.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I heard we were getting Zubrus back in the deal.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Take what Madden says with a grain of salt.

He also claimed Stepniak told him it was Letang and Scuderi who told Fleury to play the puck in that fateful game in round one.

Why would Stempniak, even if it was true, tell Madden that? He wouldn't.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

Im sure theyve turned down plenty of major trades since theyve acquired these guys. Why is it news if they didnt do it.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

He is the only one that consistently talks hockey... If another station would talk hockey I would listen to them instead.

He is waiting until after the playoffs because he wants to finish his temple to Bennett before going into that topic. If Beau Bennett was a farmer, there would be no world hunger.

Madden flip-flops on a lot of topics. Since he is on the radio you can not easily go back and "quote" him and prove that he has flipped positions or was flat out wrong. That is why he stopped posting her. He got tired of not being able to hang up on people when they were able to counter his argument, and he got tired of people being able to directly quote him to show that he was wrong or flipped positions.

However...

I could see it being either Malkin or Letang. I could see either being vetoed based on not being a good value in the trade. But, if both were good hockey trades... I would only see the Pens execs vetoing trading Letang. Reason, he has the potential of being a superstar offensive defenseman. The Pens have not had one of those since maybe Murphy or Coffey. Malkin has tons of skill, but with Crosby in the fold he would be expendable.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

What if....

it was Malkin for Kopitar, Brown, and Jack Johnson ?

lol
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShipHockey7 »

The crappy site that is insidepittsburghsports says this:
Even before the playoffs, James Neal had been a name for months making the rounds among executives as a potential player in play this summer. The Penguins received a significant offer for Neal last summer around the draft from the Vancouver Canucks in a proposed deal that would sent Alex Edler and more pieces to the Penguins.
Take it with a grain of salt due to the source, but its something

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ges/65038/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

meow wrote:Mark Madden is still on the radio? Wow
He's always been on the radio, save for a brief time between 1250 and 105.9. He actually just got a new show where he doesn't have to play music anymore. Much, much better than his old format.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

ShipHockey7 wrote:The crappy site that is insidepittsburghsports says this:
Even before the playoffs, James Neal had been a name for months making the rounds among executives as a potential player in play this summer. The Penguins received a significant offer for Neal last summer around the draft from the Vancouver Canucks in a proposed deal that would sent Alex Edler and more pieces to the Penguins.
Take it with a grain of salt due to the source, but its something

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ges/65038/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's an interesting, albeit unattributed, closing paragraph.

The sense among NHL types certainly seems to be that some of the Penguins core players are what they are and they're not going to change with a new coach when it comes down to their immaturity issues on the ice and notably lack of consistent commitment to team defense.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Admin wrote:That's an interesting, albeit unattributed, closing paragraph.

The sense among NHL types certainly seems to be that some of the Penguins core players are what they are and they're not going to change with a new coach when it comes down to their immaturity issues on the ice and notably lack of consistent commitment to team defense.
I think that he got that from me since that is basically what I said on here somewhere yesterday.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Wouldn't be the first time that site has swiped ideas/quotes/etc. directly from this board...that site is about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop...
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

Madden just said, the deal was for Letang.

I find that hard to believe that the penguins execs nixed the trade over marketability... Malkin I could see, Letang... I don't know if you buy tickets to see Kris Letang over Crosby/Malkin.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

DropEmJayBird wrote:I don't know if you buy tickets to see Kris Letang over Crosby/Malkin.
That hair is much better in person...

But when the Columbus beat writer is making fun of Letang's defense... :scared:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

DropEmJayBird wrote:Madden just said, the deal was for Letang.

I find that hard to believe that the penguins execs nixed the trade over marketability... Malkin I could see, Letang... I don't know if you buy tickets to see Kris Letang over Crosby/Malkin.
I wish he said what team it was so that we could all arm-chair GM as to what the deal was (yes, I am serious)
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Letang? Lulz. I wonder if this story takes place before or after he signed his extension.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Letang? Lulz. I wonder if this story takes place before or after he signed his extension.
"but Madden said he's heard that the penguins executives turned down a trade of a major penguin before he signed a new contract due to marketability of that player."
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

DropEmJayBird wrote:Madden just said, the deal was for Letang.

They probably have marketing data that shows Letang is popular among young fans ages 18-34 and they buy lots of Letang merchandise. Thus because that is an important demographic for the future of the franchise I guess they were worried if they traded Letang some of the fans wouldn't be interested any more? It is a head scratcher. If true, shame on the organization for putting a decision like that before a hockey decision.
Last edited by pens9192 on Wed May 14, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.