George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:I thought the point of a lot of her POV material was to highlight gender inequities and her being passed around as currency by her father. If it's about her being a dumb dumb I have some re-reading to do
That's what I got too and it made her too ambitious because she thought she had to prove herself more.

But in the show you don't get the inner monolog so just these last couple episodes she is slightly sympathetic. I dont remember her admitting out loud how much of a monster Joffrey was but then you remember she was going to have Payne behead all the women if they didn't stop Stanis so...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

The theon rescue mission might have been the silliest thing they've ever put on this show. But the trial. The trial was gooooooood.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Well, that was a good episode... quite possibly the best of the season. The Stannis and Dreadfort stuff was interesting, even if it wasn't in the books. (God help me, I just said a Stannis scene was interesting.) Kinda sucks that this is all we get to see of Gatiss (for this season anyway). Also, the Braavos addition to the opening credits was awesome... was basically like pulling the crank in Mouse Trap and waiting for the net to fall... except in this case, it was the Iron Giant.

The trial was every bit as much of a joke as I had hoped. Dinklage is just awesome.

I kind of expected it due to the title of the episode, but looks like the Eyrie plot has been sped up and is going to come to a head next week. Given the break for Memorial Day weekend, this might work quite nicely.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Ah, and realized I forgot about Daenerys... I thought that was going to be
Spoiler:
the BBQ'd kid.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Dinklage was indeed awesome. I could watch a show with just Tyrion.

Looks like the Mountain shows up next week.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:Ah, and realized I forgot about Daenerys... I thought that was going to be
Spoiler:
the BBQ'd kid.
You think they wussed out and just skipped that?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

shmenguin wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Ah, and realized I forgot about Daenerys... I thought that was going to be
Spoiler:
the BBQ'd kid.
Spoiler:
I would be surprised if they did, given how much they have done on this show already. I'm pretty sure it was filmed, at least the court part anyway, due to an interview that I read awhile back... unless you can think of another Dany scene we might see this season that could be potentially classified as emotional and would leave everyone involved in tears after shooting it.... (paraphrasing there, but that is the gist of what the person said).

Now perhaps they don't actually show the kid getting cooked, but I'm fairly certain the aftermath will be Dany's last scene of the season based on that interview.

The very first supplicant would have been too early for that, I think... but the way the scene with the goats and the kid was shot had me thinking perhaps it was.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

shmenguin wrote:
Spoiler:
the BBQ'd kid.
I think so.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Pretty good interview with the write of this episode: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/11/game- ... interview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Peter effing Dinklage
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I usually support the changes from the book, but the Theon rescue scene was stupid. Ramsey is just going to let the enemy run away after they infiltrated his keep and killed a bunch of his men - especially a high profile enemy like Asha. Asha traveled all that way to not bring Theon with her? The only point of it was to show how much Theon has changed, and you could have gotten same result another way.

I don't like what they are doing with the "Yara" character. Like pretty much everything about her.

I imagine Martin not having much for the character to do in the books up until this point really backfired here.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I enjoyed this episode. Very strong season overall. I guess we'll get to see Shae at least one more time. :pop:

Maybe it's because I'm feeling grumpy today, but does anyone else tire of the constant overanalysis and dissection of each episode of GoT? Big media companies (like EW, Hollywood Reporter, USA Today, etc.) interview nearly every cast member, writer, director, and producer for each episode. I know I don't have to read any of it (and I usually don't), but I've read/seen interviews today with Liam Cunningham (Davos), Alik Sakharov (Director), Brian Cogman (writer), Peter Dinklage, just to name a few - just for this last episode. I can't wait to hear what the caterer for that last episode served on the Dubrovnik set! :lol:

It happens for almost every high profile TV show, too (Breaking Bad, Mad Men) and so on. What do you guys think? Overkill or useful?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

I pick a couple of those articles and read and enjoy them. Like you say, you don't have to read them, so don't.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Spangler wrote:I usually support the changes from the book, but the Theon rescue scene was stupid. Ramsey is just going to let the enemy run away after they infiltrated his keep and killed a bunch of his men - especially a high profile enemy like Asha. Asha traveled all that way to not bring Theon with her? The only point of it was to show how much Theon has changed, and you could have gotten same result another way.

I don't like what they are doing with the "Yara" character. Like pretty much everything about her.

I imagine Martin not having much for the character to do in the books up until this point really backfired here.
the other silly part about that scene was ramsey leading the charge to fight without any protection whatsoever. like...he gets killed a million times out of a million there. the motives for almost every character in that scene didn't make any sense.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I enjoyed this episode. Very strong season overall. I guess we'll get to see Shae at least one more time. :pop:

Maybe it's because I'm feeling grumpy today, but does anyone else tire of the constant overanalysis and dissection of each episode of GoT? Big media companies (like EW, Hollywood Reporter, USA Today, etc.) interview nearly every cast member, writer, director, and producer for each episode. I know I don't have to read any of it (and I usually don't), but I've read/seen interviews today with Liam Cunningham (Davos), Alik Sakharov (Director), Brian Cogman (writer), Peter Dinklage, just to name a few - just for this last episode. I can't wait to hear what the caterer for that last episode served on the Dubrovnik set! :lol:

It happens for almost every high profile TV show, too (Breaking Bad, Mad Men) and so on. What do you guys think? Overkill or useful?
I never read that stuff, who cares what they have to say.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The nice thing about the interviews is that you don't have to read them if you don't want to. Not like anyone is forcing you to click...
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Now click or else!
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Nice to see that Mycroft was in this episode.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The plot with Sansa is actually right where it is in Storm of Swords.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i liked this episode
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:The theon rescue mission might have been the silliest thing they've ever put on this show. But the trial. The trial was gooooooood.
The rescue was completely unecessary. We already established a few episodes ago that Theon was loyal when he was giving Ramsey a shave.

The Iron Bank scene is interesting in only it gave more screen time for Davos.
Spoiler:
It also through ruined Arya arriving in seeing the Iron Giant for the first time. Looks like she just leaves for Bravos and not actually gets there.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The "rescue" was about giving Yara something to do this season, not establishing that Theon was broken. It was definitely the worst scene of the episode, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the silliest scene ever... spending like 8 minutes on the dismemberment of Theon last year was far worse. I guess after they added the Bran stuff, I'm just taking this stuff in stride at this point because it didn't really move me one way or the other.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:The "rescue" was about giving Yara something to do this season, not establishing that Theon was broken. It was definitely the worst scene of the episode, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the silliest scene ever... spending like 8 minutes on the dismemberment of Theon last year was far worse. I guess after they added the Bran stuff, I'm just taking this stuff in stride at this point because it didn't really move me one way or the other.
it was distasteful and upsetting, but i wouldn't really call the theon torture "silly".

this scene basically ended with mr burns saying, "release the hounds". and boom - they're back on the boat like it was nothing. it was dumb in a way this show never is. it also wasn't inline with how the iron born roll. as best as i know, they all think theon is a joke. the rah rah speech from "Yara" wasn't going to turn these characters like that. they'd go with her out of loyalty and respect, not because of a pep talk.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I'm 200 pages into Feast for Crows. I haven't found it too bad yet.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Pretty hilarious that they decided to change her name, as if Osha and Asha would be any more confusing than all those Brads, Brans, Bronns, Briennes, Nads, Nobs, Robbs, Rubs, Tywins, Tyrons, Theons, Tommens, Jorahs, Joffreys, Jons, Jamies, Hueys, Louies, and Deweys.