TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: TV Shows

Post by dodint »

WHO'S WEIRD NOW?!?!?!

(I haven't either)
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

PensFanInDC wrote:I've never seen a single episode of 24. We are thinking about binge watching the series since it's on the netflix and we are cutting the cable.
It was yanked from Netflix just a few weeks ago. Amazon paid a premium to steal it away ahead of the new season airing.

You don't need to know much to start enjoying this limited series that's on tonight. I can summarize a few points about how we got to where tonight starts:
Spoiler:
Jack is a former soldier and intelligence operative. He spent the duration of the show's run as an agent of the fictional CTU - like the NSA, CIA, and FBI rolled into one.

Over the course of his time at CTU he constantly loses the people he cares about as a result of his job and his lifestyle. They all end up dead or excommunicating him in some way.

At the end of the final season (8) his lover, an FBI agent, is gunned down by mobsters with ties to both the Kremlin and the White House. Jack basically begins taking down anyone involved - secret service agents, Russian diplomats, mobsters, etc. He then flees the country before he can be killed or arrested, and he's been on the run ever since.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

pittsoccer33 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I've never seen a single episode of 24. We are thinking about binge watching the series since it's on the netflix and we are cutting the cable.
It was yanked from Netflix just a few weeks ago. Amazon paid a premium to steal it away ahead of the new season airing.

You don't need to know much to start enjoying this limited series that's on tonight. I can summarize a few points about how we got to where tonight starts:
Spoiler:
Jack is a former soldier and intelligence operative. He spent the duration of the show's run as an agent of the fictional CTU - like the NSA, CIA, and FBI rolled into one.

Over the course of his time at CTU he constantly loses the people he cares about as a result of his job and his lifestyle. They all end up dead or excommunicating him in some way.

At the end of the final season (8) his lover, an FBI agent, is gunned down by mobsters with ties to both the Kremlin and the White House. Jack basically begins taking down anyone involved - secret service agents, Russian diplomats, mobsters, etc. He then flees the country before he can be killed or arrested, and he's been on the run ever since.
Ryan Hardy really is Jack Bauer in disguise.

Re Walker:
Spoiler:
A real shame they did that. I think if 8 wasn't the last season maybe they don't do that but they did. 24 was a show not afraid of killing off major characters.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Some screen caps I took off my DVR:

Jack's bio

Jack's kill list
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Thought the 24 return was good. Didn't seem quite as intense as The Following had recently, but who needs the copy when the original is back?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

The Blacklist was excellent last night, but I'm interested to see where they are going with it.
Spoiler:
If "Berlin" is the reason the Blacklist exists, then, what next assuming they capture or kill him next week? Or will he just keep sending fresh minions (Keen) to do his bidding?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

MAD MEN! Anyone else think they're setting Margaret Sterling up to get involved with the Manson family? It's certainly the first thing that came to my mind when it was revealed she'd run away with some sort of "cult".
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Sometimes I wish I had never played Mass Effect 2 because I was perfectly fine being not interested in Yvonne Strahovski before that. Now anytime I see her in anything, she's the only person I can focus on.

I'm of course referring to her appearance on Louie.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Gaucho wrote:MAD MEN! Anyone else think they're setting Margaret Sterling up to get involved with the Manson family? It's certainly the first thing that came to my mind when it was revealed she'd run away with some sort of "cult".
I was thinking about that with Megan being out alone in the remote area & I believe she wore the same clothes earlier in the season as one of the girls. Going to watch new episode tonight
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

eddysnake wrote:
Gaucho wrote:MAD MEN! Anyone else think they're setting Margaret Sterling up to get involved with the Manson family? It's certainly the first thing that came to my mind when it was revealed she'd run away with some sort of "cult".
I was thinking about that with Megan being out alone in the remote area & I believe she wore the same clothes earlier in the season as one of the girls. Going to watch new episode tonight
There are have multiple references to Megan being one of the girls killed by Manson. Would be interesting if somehow Margaret had something to do with it, but I think it may just be more foreshadowing.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

24 is just as fun as I remembered
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Spangler wrote:Sometimes I wish I had never played Mass Effect 2 because I was perfectly fine being not interested in Yvonne Strahovski before that. Now anytime I see her in anything, she's the only person I can focus on.

I'm of course referring to her appearance on Louie.
I'd watch all 5 seasons of Chuck again just for her.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

obhave wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
There are have multiple references to Megan being one of the girls killed by Manson. Would be interesting if somehow Margaret had something to do with it, but I think it may just be more foreshadowing.
Now that I've seen the complete episode ( :oops: ) I think this is probably not where they're going with Margaret. She just turned hippie is all, I guess.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Mike Judge did a pretty good interview on Stern today, so I added Silicon Valley to the DVR. Once it catches all the back episodes (or when I feel like using HBOGO) I'll dive in.

Going to watch the first two new episodes of Louie in a few minutes. I love Louie C.K., he's really blown up in the last year. When Chris Rock thinks you're the biggest comedian on the planet you've made it. Hoping his success doesn't derail the show.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

New Girl and Mindy season finales tonight...

NG:
Spoiler:
They are so going to Ross/Rachel Jess & Nick.... but it was a funny episode despite this.
Mindy:
Spoiler:
So they get a decent recurring role in Tim Daly and simply toy him along only to will they won't they with the Empire State building... The ending could very well be a series finale if they aren't renewed.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

dodint wrote:Mike Judge did a pretty good interview on Stern today, so I added Silicon Valley to the DVR. Once it catches all the back episodes (or when I feel like using HBOGO) I'll dive in.

Going to watch the first two new episodes of Louie in a few minutes. I love Louie C.K., he's really blown up in the last year. When Chris Rock thinks you're the biggest comedian on the planet you've made it. Hoping his success doesn't derail the show.
It already got derailed. Same with his stand up.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I dunno, he's spread his wings a bit but the show still makes me feel feelings. Especially the second one, was cringing through a lof of the Seinfeld parts (in a good way) and the impending doom you feel the rest of the episode is great.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

looks interesting, I'll give it a shot
[youtube][/youtube]
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Another good mad men, with the title being the monolith or something like that, I figured we had some more Kubrick tie ins. The first thing I noticed which I thought was creepy was when Rogers secretary was chasing his grandson ala Danny in the Shining. Also noticed what appeared to be a clockwork orange poster in Rogers office.

edit: and here are some more of the other references (from 2001)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... f_the.html
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Finally got through the Arrow ep Man under the Hood (or somesuch, about 3 or 4 eps behind current).
Spoiler:
So at the end of the previous episode, Laurel learns Oliver is the Arrow. This one she confronts the Arrow saying she knows, but is interrupted before she can spill the beans by a call from Sarah as their father had been attacked in the jail. She's ready to tell her father, and he says he doesn't want to know, and what a burden it must be for the person who is the Arrow. And somehow in this, Laurel is convinced enough that when she sees Oliver as Oliver she gives him a hug as someone important in her life, and doesn't mention knowing he is the Arrow, and instead demands her father's release and reinstatement from the DA.

All the while, Slade's partner who stole Queen Consolidated turns out to be the jilted lover of Robert Queen, who left her to stay with Thea. Same who is shot twice by Diggle but is revived by Slade.
I have not read the comic, so I don't know where the story is supposed to go, but still get a feel that
Spoiler:
Oliver and Laurel
should be together.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

relantel wrote:Finally got through the Arrow ep Man under the Hood (or somesuch, about 3 or 4 eps behind current).
Spoiler:
So at the end of the previous episode, Laurel learns Oliver is the Arrow. This one she confronts the Arrow saying she knows, but is interrupted before she can spill the beans by a call from Sarah as their father had been attacked in the jail. She's ready to tell her father, and he says he doesn't want to know, and what a burden it must be for the person who is the Arrow. And somehow in this, Laurel is convinced enough that when she sees Oliver as Oliver she gives him a hug as someone important in her life, and doesn't mention knowing he is the Arrow, and instead demands her father's release and reinstatement from the DA.

All the while, Slade's partner who stole Queen Consolidated turns out to be the jilted lover of Robert Queen, who left her to stay with Thea. Same who is shot twice by Diggle but is revived by Slade.
I have not read the comic, so I don't know where the story is supposed to go, but still get a feel that
Spoiler:
Oliver and Laurel
should be together.
Spoiler:
I am not 100% sure since the Green Arrow was never a constant read for me but in the comics Laurel is the Black Canary and there is no Sarah at all. And Oliver and Laurel are on again off again involved with each other to the point that the characters were even married to each other. I don't know if they are setting Laurel up to start training to be the Canary maybe after her sisters death or something like that.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

eddysnake wrote:looks interesting, I'll give it a shot
[youtube][/youtube]
Looks awesome but I wish CW was doing this. I'm worried Fox will mess it up.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Grey's...

They keep advertising a season finale coming up. But after last night, it sure seems like it would be a series finale next week.
Spoiler:
The promos are focused on Christina leaving. But with Derek being asked to DC, being replaced at Grey-Sloan by his sister, and Karev in private practice, sure almost seems like a series finale coming to me, unless they are going off in a completely new direction in the fall.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Community cancelled.

Revolution cancelled.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

blackjack68 wrote:Community cancelled.

Revolution cancelled.
Heard Surviving Jack was cancelled. Which sucks, as it was good.