Jaro Halak Rights to NYI for 2014 4th Round Pick

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Jaro Halak Rights to NYI for 2014 4th Round Pick

Post by Kovy27 »

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 1m
Capitals have traded the rights of G Jaroslav Halak to the NY Islanders for a 2014 4th round pick
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Jaro Halak Rights to NYI for 2014 4th Round Pick

Post by Gaucho »

Hey, maybe we can get some crap teams' 1st rounder for the rights to Niskanen and Orpik.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

If they can sign him its a solid move for the Islanders. Halak thrives when he sees a ton of shots (which he probably will) and the Islanders have been grossly devoid of goaltending during their attempted rebuild. Wonder if he'll feel comfortable playing against the Caps next season.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Wonder if he'll feel comfortable playing against the Caps next season.
:lol:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

To be fair now, Miller didn't want to be in net against the Sabres
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

SolidSnake wrote:To be fair now, Miller didn't want to be in net against the Sabres
Neither did Blues' fans.

Miller spent his entire career with the Buffalo organization and had played 540 games for them. Halak spent 3+ seasons with St. Louis, played 159 games, and had them near the top of the Western Conference when he was traded to the worst team in the league. I would want to play against them and shut their ass down.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Haha yea. I remember when the Blues got Halak most people thought Montreal was so dumb trading him and JD and the Blues front office was planning the parade route for the cup and now Halak is going for the Mike Sillinger record for goalies
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Matthew Monstar »

This is kind of sad and comical at the same time.

I think he has the potential to be a very good goaltender in the right situation.

He's better than a Tim Thomas road hockey goaltender whom played in front of Bostons system.

I've always had a soft spot for Jaro Halak. Maybe respect after he beat the Pens with Montreal, all by himself.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

The big question: What the hell are the Capitals up to? They have Braden Holtby -- that's it! Did they even attempt to re-sign Halak?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Pitts wrote:The big question: What the hell are the Capitals up to? They have Braden Holtby -- that's it! Did they even attempt to re-sign Halak?
They don't have a GM right now, so who knows.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

My first thought: Who the hell okayed that deal on Washington's end?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

meow wrote:My first thought: Who the hell okayed that deal on Washington's end?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

The trade was made by Assistant GM Brian MacLellan.

Jaroslav Halak is a good goalie, I think he's a goalie comfortable with a lot of shots, a lot of acrobatics, he's a good skater, he's mobile in the crease in all directions...I like him. I think he's a fine starter. Maybe not elite, but he's no sieve...I think it's a good fit for the Isles...they have some kids that they're trying not to rush too much and Nabby lost them a playoff series and then was only up and down this season...and at 39, I think he's finished now, at least in the NHL...
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

mikey287 wrote:The trade was made by Assistant GM Brian MacLellan.

Jaroslav Halak is a good goalie, I think he's a goalie comfortable with a lot of shots, a lot of acrobatics, he's a good skater, he's mobile in the crease in all directions...I like him. I think he's a fine starter. Maybe not elite, but he's no sieve...I think it's a good fit for the Isles...they have some kids that they're trying not to rush too much and Nabby lost them a playoff series and then was only up and down this season...and at 39, I think he's finished now, at least in the NHL...
What seems odd to me is that whoever comes in as Caps GM doesn't get an opinion as to what to do with Halak. What was the rush of moving him now? Would the Islanders offer dried up so quickly that they had to act NOW? Because the Caps have to be close to deciding on who their GM will be, right???

Is Brian MacLellan a good hockey mind? Or is he just being Ted's soldier here?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I don't know much about Brian MacLellan to be honest...I know some asst. GMs and what their role is and all that...I don't know what MacLellan does that's special, I've never heard anyone talk about him, I wouldn't know him if he sat next me to at a bar...

Re: The Halak thing. I wouldn't be too concerned, though I get where you're coming from. If they don't feel that's a guy they want going forward cap wise (maybe that's what MacLellan does), or goaltending wise (pro scouting) then that's fine...recoup a pick and move on and there's a little bit of an unwritten rule not to overshadow the Stanley Cup Playoffs and this is the best day for it (thus the Halak trade and the Tortorella firing on the same day, a light night and they couldn't find a day before the division semis and finals)...

I get what you're saying though "why now?" but I'm just assuming that there's no interest (maybe both ways) and the Islanders inquired...a 4th is a good haul for him I think...
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

If he didn't fit in re: cap space or pro scouting wise, why did they trade for him? Just to get to rid of Neuvirth? Or are they just unloading any GMGM players they can?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Well, Holtby had been up and down all year and Neuvirth just isn't good and never was...so they were trying to put together some options in net to make a push for the postseason...ultimately, it's Holtby's team...I think that's pretty clear going forward unless the new GM has other ideas, but Holtby is a quality goalie...
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

I guess I just feel like this is a Jerry Jones type move. The owner says I don't like this guy, and he's gone. And I dont think anyone in the organization can judge talent, hence GMGM's long tenure. Just random, tired thoughts at this point... underlying sentiment that I believe all decisions, from coach to players, should be handled by GM. So they should have waited, IMHO, to name a GM before making any roster changes.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by neophool »

I've always liked Halak.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Halak might be the prize goaltender in FA... a waste if they don't make a big offer.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Does Halak have the record for being traded the most amount of times in one season?