RIP Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: RIP Thread

Post by newarenanow »

Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost a very best friend about 5 years ago to cancer and it hurts so much. And his was so quick, you didn't really have time to digest what was going on from when he was diagnosed to when he passed. He waited too long to get checked, so when he did, it was very advanced and he died like 2 weeks after finding out.

5 years later, I still miss him everyday. Same will be said for Mario. But just keep a strong support system and if you knew his family keep in touch with them as it will help immensly, at least it did for me. (and still does).
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Thanks for the condolences everyone, I know it's a downer kind of thing to post but I just wanted to say something to get it off my chest.

nan, I appreciate you sharing that. I know it isn't easy.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

That was a moving tribute, dodint.
dodint wrote:God damn it, Mario. You silly bastard, why couldn't you stay home yesterday.
I obviously never knew Mario, but now I feel a loss for the world.

Powerful stuff, man.

RIP Mario.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

RIP Lee Marshall, who was the voice of Tony The Tiger since 1995 and also did the WCW "road reports" in the late 90s.

http://www.kfbk.com/articles/kfbk-news- ... -12292486/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Booo
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

RIP DJ E-Z Rock
Word of the tragic news just broke on social media when Rob Base put up a Facebook status saying, "RIP Skip (DJ EZ Rock) friends since 4th grade, I'm really going to miss you."
http://www.complex.com/music/2014/04/dj-ez-rock-died" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube][/youtube]
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

RIP Bob Hoskins.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Dickie Dunn wrote:RIP Bob Hoskins.
NO!

RIP
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Aw man....one of my favorites :(
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

id read Hoskins retired from acting due to parkinsons when looking at Disneys plans for a Roger Rabbit sequel
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

pittsoccer33 wrote:id read Hoskins retired from acting due to parkinsons when looking at Disneys plans for a Roger Rabbit sequel
Indeed he did. Died from pneumonia. He was 71.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Dickie Dunn wrote:RIP Bob Hoskins.
He was a phenomenal actor.

R.I.P.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Agreed. He's perfect in Roger Rabbit and a huge reason why that movie works. Anyone else and it might have fallen apart.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

I'll remember Bob Hoskins as Mario
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

viva la ben wrote:I'll remember Bob Hoskins as Mario
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

He was also in Hook as Smee.

Bob Hoskins was the most cockney man on the planet. I still have no idea how he pulled off Eddie Valiant but he was awesome in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Band Manager in The Wall.

And Shattered which I thought was really good, but no one ever talks about.

RIP, Mr. Hoskins.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I'll always remember him as Smee. Also thought he was great in Unleashed (aka Danny the Dog) with Jet Li and Morgan Freeman.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Eddie Valiant will always be the role I identify him with, no doubt.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

I first saw Bob Hoskins in "The Long Good Friday" and "Mona Lisa". I became a fan at that point.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

No Mermaids love?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/20/showbiz/k ... =allsearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RIP Kevin Sharp, country singer who had battled cancer since he was a teenager.
Sharp grew up wanting to be a singer. According to a 1998 story from Music City News, Sharp -- who grew up in a large family that included a number of foster children -- was a high school athlete and participated in a Sacramento, California, light-opera company.

It was during his senior year in high school that he was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer that had spread to his lungs. The ailment led to Sharp meeting producer and songwriter David Foster through the Make-a-Wish Foundation.

Foster, known for his work with such artists as Celine Dion and Michael Buble, helped support Sharp through years of chemotherapy and a determination to wean himself from painkillers after the cancer went into remission.

In the mid-'90s, after working at an amusement park to make ends meet, Sharp landed a record deal and went to No. 1 on the country charts with "Nobody Knows." He followed that hit with a handful of others, including "She's Sure Taking It Well" and "If You Love Somebody."

The early success, he said, was "like learning how to swim by somebody throwing you into the deep end of the swimming pool," he told Country Weekly in 2012.

But he didn't forget the Make-a-Wish Foundation through his own highs and lows, becoming a representative and getting a tattoo of the organization's logo on his chest.

In later years, he traveled the country as a motivational speaker, according to his website, and wrote a book called "Tragedy's Gift."

His willingness to help others kept hope alive in himself, he told Country Weekly.

"If I didn't believe what I try to express and tell others, I wouldn't be here," he said.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

[youtube][/youtube]
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Bill Nunn~ great steeler scout, newspaper man, and athlete.
Blount, White, Greenwood, Shell, Edwards, and John Stallworth- Nunn found these guys; pretty good players.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 9c08024a0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The whole structure started to change,” said Mr. Nunn. “To me, Dan and Chuck were the same type of person. I don’t think they see color, and I don’t say that about a lot of people. I say that sincerely. When we used to line up the draft board, Chuck wasn’t concerned with the dots. There was a time when dots (to designate a player’s race) would be put up on the draft board. That’s the way teams did it. At one time the NFL Scouting Combine identified people by race, and they did it there by using numbers, something like 110 was white and 111 was black. I said that’s illegal. Eventually it was stopped.”
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

penny lane wrote:Bill Nunn~ great steeler scout, newspaper man, and athlete.
Blount, White, Greenwood, Shell, Edwards, and John Stallworth- Nunn found these guys; pretty good players.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 9c08024a0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The whole structure started to change,” said Mr. Nunn. “To me, Dan and Chuck were the same type of person. I don’t think they see color, and I don’t say that about a lot of people. I say that sincerely. When we used to line up the draft board, Chuck wasn’t concerned with the dots. There was a time when dots (to designate a player’s race) would be put up on the draft board. That’s the way teams did it. At one time the NFL Scouting Combine identified people by race, and they did it there by using numbers, something like 110 was white and 111 was black. I said that’s illegal. Eventually it was stopped.”
You beat me to it. He was still helping out at the age of 89.