George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:Please keep me posted with details on the book , I need to relive the doldrums through another with that one. I literally remember nothing about it except I never want to open it again.
I'm the same way. There is a reason it was the last Martin book I will ever read. Thank you HBO.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

That Nights Watch jersey is sweet.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

HBO has released the descriptions of the May episodes.

"First of His Name"
Season 4, Episode 5
Airing May 4, 2014
Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
Directed by Michelle MacLaren
Spoiler:
Cersei (Lena Headey) and Tywin (Charles Dance) plot the Crown's next move. Dany (Emilia Clarke) discusses future plans. Jon (Kit Harington) embarks on a new mission.
"The Laws of Gods and Men"
Season 4, Episode 6
Airing May 11, 2014
Written by Bryan Cogman
Directed by Alik Sakharov
Spoiler:
Stannis (Stephen Dillane) and Davos (Liam Cunningham) set sail with a new strategy. Dany meets with supplicants. Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) faces down his father in the throne room.
"Mockingbird"
Season 4, Episode 7
Airing May 18, 2014
Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
Directed by Alik Sakharov
Spoiler:
Tyrion enlists an unlikely ally. Daario (Michiel Huisman) entreats Dany to allow him to do what he does best. Jon's warnings about the Wall's vulnerability fall on deaf ears. Brienne (Gwendoline Christie) follows a new lead on the road with Pod (Daniel Portman).
There apparently will be no episode on Memorial Day weekend.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

In general, I enjoyed this episode... until the final scene anyway. Bran's story just went from boring to stupid.

I'll add that I don't have a problem with them dealing with the mutineers, as that is kind of a hole in the original story... but did it really need to be tied into Bran?! And of course Locke is going along, so not only is Jon going to encounter Bran, but now they face another danger. This may be their worst idea since "Where are my dragonz?!"

Also, I guess I'm not surprised, but they took the sledgehammer approach to who killed King *******.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Unfortunately, I thought this was a pretty weak episode. I enjoyed the King's Landing parts but everything else was fairly boring.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Wonder if the very last scene was, "let's give them a taste of future mythology to be revealed in the books" or "we're not gonna cover that in the books, so do what you want". Probably the latter.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

shmenguin wrote:Wonder if the very last scene was, "let's give them a taste of future mythology to be revealed in the books" or "we're not gonna cover that in the books, so do what you want". Probably the latter.
I was so annoyed with the Bran stuff that I almost forgot about the white walker stuff (and that was NOT what I was referring to being annoyed by earlier)...

Who knows, but it looks like heads are exploding around the internet tonight.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

The Bran storyline just veered way off from the books, but hey, it keeps you guessing, I suppose. I didn't care for his storyline later in the books, so maybe this will go somewhere better.

I liked Brienne getting her armor and Oathkeeper from Jaime and it was no big deal to hook her up with Pod at this point. Another departure from the books.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Bran's story in the book at this point is pretty boring, so I'm glad they are adding something to it.

And that whitewalker scene, !!!

I don't know if those are hints to the future books or not. I hope so because Martin has explored next to nothing about it in 5 books - potentially 6 knowing his pace.

Could that have been the king of the whitewalkers, converting the baby?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yeah, I think that was the Great Other or whoever that has been alluded to by Melisandre. I don't mind them Going there, regardless of whether or not it is something they got from Martin as after 5 books we still know almost nothing about them or their motivations.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The Bran thing doesn't just bother me because it's a deviation.. it just doesn't make any logical sense. We are supposed to believe that this group of mutineers give one crap about Bran and co.? What, is a group of Night's Watch deserters going to trade a dead traitor's son for something? They can never go back South at this point. Maybe they torture them for awhile before killing them, that's about it. And given what we already saw, there is zero chance that Meera makes it into the keep without already being raped a few times.

Also, I can't see Ghost allowing himself to be caught by these clowns.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

PensFanInDC wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Please keep me posted with details on the book , I need to relive the doldrums through another with that one. I literally remember nothing about it except I never want to open it again.
I'm the same way. There is a reason it was the last Martin book I will ever read. Thank you HBO.
If that's not a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:The Bran thing doesn't just bother me because it's a deviation.. it just doesn't make any logical sense. We are supposed to believe that this group of mutineers give one crap about Bran and co.? What, is a group of Night's Watch deserters going to trade a dead traitor's son for something? They can never go back South at this point. Maybe they torture them for awhile before killing them, that's about it. And given what we already saw, there is zero chance that Meera makes it into the keep without already being raped a few times.

Also, I can't see Ghost allowing himself to be caught by these clowns.
yeah, the whole thing is bad. real bad.

i think the deal is that no one cares about Bran's story (book readers included) and non-book readers don't even know what the hell is going on there. so they bring in this mini arc to get him back into the loop. though i enjoyed the bran stuff more than the jon snow stuff - that is to say that the jon snow stuff is god awful. so this loche guy makes it all the way up to the wall and not only is he traveling about 100 times faster than the wildling raiders (who are literally at a snail's pace, apparently), but he also just assimilates himself into the crew like it was nothing. who is even supposed to be bringing convicts to the wall anymore? isn't the night's watch basically in shambles at this point?

this show's going to run into some issues. in this season alone, we're going to have to deal with brienne/pod, littlefinger's batman voice, minimal tyrion since he's reduced to a pretty limited role as he's locked away, stannis and davos with the thrilling "let's go get a loan" adventure, arya's story being stretched out to death, and then the dany stuff...

non-book readers: it's ok, there's still some more holy s*** coming. but i'm a little bummed about what's going on.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

while the white walker scene was pretty cool, I felt like they put it in there because the rest of the episode was kinda boring (I actually fell asleep and need to watch it again). Unless they really go off the charts here, we won't be seeing the white walkers maybe ever? so why put that in? It's going to be interesting to see how a giant CGI battle with the walkers plays out on tv. Maybe they will have the walkers get to the mutineers before jon does and bran gets away missing him and carrying on with his adventure? Where is Rickon at? I honestly have no idea what he's doing in the show now...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Rickon left with Osha to go to the Umbers at the end of last season. Much like the books, he largely disappears from the story at that point. We may see them again eventually, but at this point, they are unnecessary.

Speaking of Osha, am I the only one who thought that the lady running the Mole's Town brothel looked like the actress who plays Osha? I've been too lazy to look up if it was her or not.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

at some point soon, bran encounters a new...friend? my guess is that friend will have something to do with his fate at craster's before jon snow gets there. i don't see him and bran crossing paths.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shmenguin wrote:at some point soon, bran encounters a new...friend? my guess is that friend will have something to do with his fate at craster's before jon snow gets there. i don't see him and bran crossing paths.
Spoiler:
is this coldhands?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

From the preview, it looks like Jon may get there next week. Hopefully Bran is somehow gone by then.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

eddysnake wrote:
shmenguin wrote:at some point soon, bran encounters a new...friend? my guess is that friend will have something to do with his fate at craster's before jon snow gets there. i don't see him and bran crossing paths.
Spoiler:
is this coldhands?
yeah
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:
is this coldhands?
That's who I thought picked up the baby initially.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

the wicked child wrote:In general, I enjoyed this episode... until the final scene anyway. Bran's story just went from boring to stupid.

I'll add that I don't have a problem with them dealing with the mutineers, as that is kind of a hole in the original story... but did it really need to be tied into Bran?! And of course Locke is going along, so not only is Jon going to encounter Bran, but now they face another danger. This may be their worst idea since "Where are my dragonz?!"

Also, I guess I'm not surprised, but they took the sledgehammer approach to who killed King *******.
They burned through Bran's story in Book 3 at the end of last season. We saw the writers dip into Book 3 during Season 2 for some of Jaime/Brienne so they could give Jaime something to do other than sit in a jail cell, but there isn't a ton of Bran in Book 5 (and that's a good thing- I know he's important but God he sucks). So they're making stuff up for Bran to kill time.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:Rickon left with Osha to go to the Umbers at the end of last season. Much like the books, he largely disappears from the story at that point. We may see them again eventually, but at this point, they are unnecessary.

Speaking of Osha, am I the only one who thought that the lady running the Mole's Town brothel looked like the actress who plays Osha? I've been too lazy to look up if it was her or not.
Spoiler:
Manderly at White harbor agrees to fake Davos's death to get his son back from Cersei on the condition he goes and finds Rikkon who he knows is hiding on Skragg Island so he can get claim to the North form the Bolton's.

Thsi will take place in future books though, the whole Davos actually looking for Rikkon.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Right, I know what happens in the books, but I was referring specifically to the question of where he was in regards to the show.

If they follow the books, he might be back in season 5, but only if they invent material for him, or dip into book 6 material.

Being mentioned isn't the same as being on the show after all....
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

the wicked child wrote:Right, I know what happens in the books, but I was referring specifically to the question of where he was in regards to the show.

If they follow the books, he might be back in season 5, but only if they invent material for him, or dip into book 6 material.

Being mentioned isn't the same as being on the show after all....
If book readers were angry about the end scene of last night's episode, I can't imagine what their reaction would be if stuff from Book 6 (that may or may not be out yet next year) shows up next season.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

the wicked child wrote:Speaking of Osha, am I the only one who thought that the lady running the Mole's Town brothel looked like the actress who plays Osha? I've been too lazy to look up if it was her or not.
I thought the same thing too. I think she even had the stupid head tilt that Osha always does.

Maybe they put the actress in a minor role to give her something to do since the Osha character is TBD right now, in the show and books.