George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by columbia »

The book is no, but I mean yes.....correct?
That's some sketchy sexual politics and best avoided.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

In the book (and I'm going off memory here) Cersei's main objection was the location and not so much the act itself, whereas here it seemed like Cersei was objecting to everything. Plus Cersei had rejected Jaime upon his return to King's Landing. Again, going off memory, but didn't Jaime reject Cersei in the book? (If I'm wrong on that please let me know- a lot happened in Book 3.)
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Entertainment Weekly ew.com had an interview with GRRM and he was a little non-comittal in either direction. I'll see if I can find it.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

See if this works.

George R.R. Martin reacts to 'Thrones' adding rape scene http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/21/georg ... ones-rape/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @EW
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Rocco wrote:In the book (and I'm going off memory here) Cersei's main objection was the location and not so much the act itself, whereas here it seemed like Cersei was objecting to everything. Plus Cersei had rejected Jaime upon his return to King's Landing. Again, going off memory, but didn't Jaime reject Cersei in the book? (If I'm wrong on that please let me know- a lot happened in Book 3.)
Spoiler:
Jaime starts to reject her after that scene, if I remember correctly. He realizes she is just evil and not someone he wants to be with. She gets upset that he wont follow her commands later on as well
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

obhave wrote:
Rocco wrote:In the book (and I'm going off memory here) Cersei's main objection was the location and not so much the act itself, whereas here it seemed like Cersei was objecting to everything. Plus Cersei had rejected Jaime upon his return to King's Landing. Again, going off memory, but didn't Jaime reject Cersei in the book? (If I'm wrong on that please let me know- a lot happened in Book 3.)
Spoiler:
Jaime starts to reject her after that scene, if I remember correctly. He realizes she is just evil and not someone he wants to be with. She gets upset that he wont follow her commands later on as well
Spoiler:
I actually just read these chapters a few days ago, and when Jamie first gets back to Kings Landing, he wants her, and she wants him, but she didn't want to be caught and wanted to wait. He was all about announcing their love and getting married. Then he sees her at the sept by Joffrey's body a day later or something, and that is where he pushes on her, she objects at first mainly because they are in the sept, but as they get further, she relents. A few days later, she comes to his chambers in the KingsGuard tower and she advances on him, but he tells her it is the wrong place because he has sworn brothers sleeping by, and she gets pissed and goes off on him, and that is where he decides she is evil and doesn't want anything to do with her.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

George R. R. Martin wrote:“I think the “butterfly effect” that I have spoken of so often was at work here. In the novels, Jaime is not present at Joffrey’s death, and indeed, Cersei has been fearful that he is dead himself, that she has lost both the son and the father/ lover/ brother. And then suddenly Jaime is there before her. Maimed and changed, but Jaime nonetheless. Though the time and place is wildly inappropriate and Cersei is fearful of discovery, she is as hungry for him as he is for her.
The whole dynamic is different in the show, where Jaime has been back for weeks at the least, maybe longer, and he and Cersei have been in each other’s company on numerous occasions, often quarreling. The setting is the same, but neither character is in the same place as in the books, which may be why Dan & David played the sept out differently. But that’s just my surmise; we never discussed this scene, to the best of my recollection.
Also, I was writing the scene from Jaime’s POV, so the reader is inside his head, hearing his thoughts. On the TV show, the camera is necessarily external. You don’t know what anyone is thinking or feeling, just what they are saying and doing.
If the show had retained some of Cersei’s dialogue from the books, it might have left a somewhat different impression — but that dialogue was very much shaped by the circumstances of the books, delivered by a woman who is seeing her lover again for the first time after a long while apart during which she feared he was dead. I am not sure it would have worked with the new timeline.
That’s really all I can say on this issue. The scene was always intended to be disturbing… but I do regret if it has disturbed people for the wrong reasons.”
http://winteriscoming.net/2014/04/21/ge ... er-chains/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Yeah, that's from the link I posted above.

Seems interesting that such a shocking scene wasn't discussed with him at all. I assumed he had a bigger role in the shows.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

It's HBO.
They "murder" people on the show, chop heads off... but they don't really kill them you see.. it's fake.

There are also zombie things, and dragons... also fake.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Don't you blaspheme in here!
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i liked this episode. as someone mentioned the scene with tommen and tywin was very good. sam is probably the worst character. can't stand him. i find his scenes cant end soon enough. was expecting to see some dragon action at meereen. hopefully soon
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Interesting point from GRRM, the chapters are all POV from certain characters. Sure, there's some exposition, but we are only hearing the story from a dozen or so people.

As far as I remember, we could never have a solo conversation of just Varys and Littlefinger, Tywin and Joffrey or anything else like that. A POV character always has to be present.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i liked this episode. as someone mentioned the scene with tommen and tywin was very good. sam is probably the worst character. can't stand him. i find his scenes cant end soon enough. was expecting to see some dragon action at meereen. hopefully soon
Seconded. Fat guy named sam, how original. Every time he does that stupid Bambi eyes look at Gilly, i want to punch him in the nads.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

blackjack68 wrote:Don't you blaspheme in here!
I really hope this is a Blues Brothers reference at least in a way
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

PensFanInDC wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Don't you blaspheme in here!
I really hope this is a Blues Brothers reference at least in a way
Indeed.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Kaizer wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:i liked this episode. as someone mentioned the scene with tommen and tywin was very good. sam is probably the worst character. can't stand him. i find his scenes cant end soon enough. was expecting to see some dragon action at meereen. hopefully soon
Seconded. Fat guy named sam, how original. Every time he does that stupid Bambi eyes look at Gilly, i want to punch him in the nads.
But that's pretty close to how he reads in the book.

We don't know where he is going, but I bet he has a big part to play down the road.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

Which is sad. With all the capable people who go down in flames, some no talent ass clown beating the odds doesn't make sense. Plus he's too fat to live, kill him.

Fatty.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Kaizer wrote:Which is sad. With all the capable people who go down in flames, some no talent ass clown beating the odds doesn't make sense. Plus he's too fat to live, kill him.

Fatty.
He did kill a whitewalker...maybe he has other talents heretofore unseen.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

blackjack68 wrote:
Kaizer wrote:Which is sad. With all the capable people who go down in flames, some no talent ass clown beating the odds doesn't make sense. Plus he's too fat to live, kill him.

Fatty.
He did kill a whitewalker...maybe he has other talents heretofore unseen.
Spoiler:
Jon sent him to the Citadel, no doubt he finds a book on how to save the world. Yipee
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

GRRM interview in Rolling Stone. pretty strange guy

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... w-20140423
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Started FFC last night.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Get ready for 1000 pages of characters you don't care about
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I just read about Pate and his friends.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Please keep me posted with details on the book , I need to relive the doldrums through another with that one. I literally remember nothing about it except I never want to open it again.