George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by shmenguin »

i think i made a bummer realization last night that i'm very interested in the upcoming big individual events of this season, but the larger plots aren't going to do anything for me. i especially don't care what happens at the wall, or whatever is going on with dany.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

That's interesting because those are probably the 2 most important story lines that will have the biggest impact on the series as a whole.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:That's interesting because those are probably the 2 most important story lines that will have the biggest impact on the series as a whole.
whoopedeedoo
Spoiler:
jon snow's always been a weak character in the book and the show, imo. and his ascent into night's watch politics makes it worse, since you're just stripping more mystique from the north. and i'm very scared that his stuff in book 6 is just going to all boring warg monologues describing how hunting smells or whatever.

and dany...ugh.
but in case you wanted to play the, "you hate everything card"...the scene with jamie and cersei was awesomely sick, arya and the hound are entertaining at all times, tyrion's never been in a weak scene (as long as it's without shae) and the heel turn with the wildlings was intense in a way i wouldn't have expected in a mid-episode scene.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:A couple interesting tidbits from the director of tonight's episode. Not sure it requires spoilers, but I'll do so anyway to be safe...

Episode 3:
Spoiler:
Supposedly tonight's episode contains "one of the best speeches of the series". Interested to see what that might be.
Episode 10:
Spoiler:
Also, he is the director of the 10th episode as well and has stated elsewhere that it contains the most expensive scene in terms of money per second of the series to date and they will actually only be finished with the effects shortly before it airs in June. I'm wondering what that is going to be...
I can't possibly think what the spoiler for Ep 10 could entail. Only thing:
Spoiler:
Did they cover the big attack on the wall last epsiode from the north side and not just the raider party from the south? I know they had a giant try to get through one of the tunnels.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DelPen wrote:
the wicked child wrote:A couple interesting tidbits from the director of tonight's episode. Not sure it requires spoilers, but I'll do so anyway to be safe...

Episode 3:
Spoiler:
Supposedly tonight's episode contains "one of the best speeches of the series". Interested to see what that might be.
Episode 10:
Spoiler:
Also, he is the director of the 10th episode as well and has stated elsewhere that it contains the most expensive scene in terms of money per second of the series to date and they will actually only be finished with the effects shortly before it airs in June. I'm wondering what that is going to be...
I can't possibly think what the spoiler for Ep 10 could entail. Only thing:
Spoiler:
Did they cover the big attack on the wall last epsiode from the north side and not just the raider party from the south? I know they had a giant try to get through one of the tunnels.
Spoiler:
i expect them to combing both wall battles into one episode. i don't think it would make a lot of sense to non-book readers to have them squash the southern raid in episode 6 or whatever and then do ANOTHER battle with mance raydar (who the viewer has already forgotten) in episode 10. it'll all happen at once, imo
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Spoiler:
The battle at the Wall is going to be episode 9 and was directed by Neil Marshall, who also did Blackwater. Alex Graves did episode 10.

Only thing that I can think of is maybe a battle with the walkers or something.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Since I dont' have HBO anymore, and can't watch this season yet, I've been focusing on the books. Just finished SOS last night. Loved it all. Onto FoC.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

shmenguin wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Littlefinger's "batman voice" has officially gotten out of control. That is all.
ha. it was overkill last night.
I couldn't tell if he just hasn't been on the show for a while and I forgot what he sounded like or was he doing a completely different voice?
same. though if this many people noticed it, i think we know that it was a special brand of overkill.
It's gotten progressively hammier as the show has gone on. Which, to be clear, I'm totally ok with, especially as he's probably the closest thing remaining to a big-player villain at the moment.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Funny, up until now the actor who plays Littlefinger has underplayed how he has been written.
Spoiler:
The conversations he has with Sansa after he kills Lysa have to be done while he is twirling his moustache, right?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

That would be hysterical.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

DelPen wrote:Funny, up until now the actor who plays Littlefinger has underplayed how he has been written.
Spoiler:
The conversations he has with Sansa after he kills Lysa have to be done while he is twirling his moustache, right?
that is correct. He needs to be 100% Snidely Whiplash by then.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

eddysnake wrote:
DelPen wrote:Funny, up until now the actor who plays Littlefinger has underplayed how he has been written.
Spoiler:
that is correct. He needs to be 100% Snidely Whiplash by then.
Reminds me of Zorg from 5th Element so far.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Not sure why they decided Jaime/Cersei having sex by Joffrey's dead body wasn't creepy enough and decided to have Jaime rape Cersei. Were they worried Jaime was becoming too likeable and wanted to solve that problem?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Rocco wrote:Not sure why they decided Jaime/Cersei having sex by Joffrey's dead body wasn't creepy enough and decided to have Jaime rape Cersei. Were they worried Jaime was becoming too likeable and wanted to solve that problem?
They do it by Joffrey in the books, but she is a more willing participant. It was like "no means yes" in the books for her.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

newarenanow wrote:
Rocco wrote:Not sure why they decided Jaime/Cersei having sex by Joffrey's dead body wasn't creepy enough and decided to have Jaime rape Cersei. Were they worried Jaime was becoming too likeable and wanted to solve that problem?
They do it by Joffrey in the books, but she is a more willing participant. It was like "no means yes" in the books for her.
I know, that's why I said I didn't understand why they felt the book version wasn't creepy enough.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Gotcha.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

newarenanow wrote:Since I dont' have HBO anymore, and can't watch this season yet, I've been focusing on the books. Just finished SOS last night. Loved it all. Onto FoC.
If you have a kindle or other e-reader try to find ball of beasts. It puts Foc and DWD in chronological order making for a better read.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

The director insists that it isn't rape: http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/game-of- ... er_vulture

Yeah, not buying what he's selling there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I thought it was more aggressive than the book, but I thought it was close to the line.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I haven't read the books, and when I watched the episode, it seemed like pretty straightforward rape to me. When reading the reviews, I was kind of surprised to see that it wasn't so rapey in the book and that the showrunners didn't think it appeared like rape on the show.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I didn't think it "ended" like rape, if that makes sense. She was saying something like "This is wrong", not "get off me you ****" She also wrapped her legs around him and to me, it seemed like she was using this to manipulate Jamie into killing/siding against Tyrion.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

"consensual by the end" :face:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Sarcastic wrote:Seemed perfectly consensual to me
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

lol, nice
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Maybe they just shot it poorly, but it wasn't meant to be rape. That wouldn't be consistent with the source material or the character arcs they're building.