George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by Idoit40fans »

Oh yeah thats right, I remember hearing Joffrey's speech beforehand.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:No, they had a "history lesson" about the war of the 5 kings involving dwarves in place of the joust. It was awesome, IMO.
That was actually much better because it got to offend Loras Tyrell, Sansa Stark and Tyrion all at the same time and set Tyrion up for one of the best put downs ever on the show asking Joffrey to beat them all like he did at the Battle of Blackwater.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

another improvement of the source material by the show
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:another improvement of the source material by the show
Well they had 13 years to improve upon it. It's amazing Game of Thrones was released my freshman year of college in August, 1996 and Storm of Swords was out in 2000.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Please HBO. Do Dark Tower like you do GoT.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

A couple interesting tidbits from the director of tonight's episode. Not sure it requires spoilers, but I'll do so anyway to be safe...

Episode 3:
Spoiler:
Supposedly tonight's episode contains "one of the best speeches of the series". Interested to see what that might be.
Episode 10:
Spoiler:
Also, he is the director of the 10th episode as well and has stated elsewhere that it contains the most expensive scene in terms of money per second of the series to date and they will actually only be finished with the effects shortly before it airs in June. I'm wondering what that is going to be...
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I was mentally prepping for tonight's episode and realized I had no idea what the motivation is for the army of Wildlings beyond the wall. I'm not a book reader, so I might have missed or forgotten this. Why are they so gung ho about attacking the Night's Watch right now? Is it because the walkers beyond the wall are getting to be more dangerous? Do they sense that the defenses of the wall are weak and the north of Westeros is up-for-grabs, so why not try to take over some (relatively) warmer, more hospitable turf?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Their main motivation is to get south of the wall to avoid the oncoming assault of the white walkers. Obviously, the Nights Watch is in their way, so a clash is inevitable.

As for the motivation of the walkers... Your guess is as good as mine.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

the wicked child wrote:Their main motivation is to get south of the wall to avoid the oncoming assault of the white walkers. Obviously, the Nights Watch is in their way, so a clash is inevitable.

As for the motivation of the walkers... Your guess is as good as mine.
Thanks. I sometimes wonder about the walkers and how it seems like the show might want to start having them factor in more, if the presumed climax of the series is supposed to be an all-out war between the combined Westerosi forces and the walkers and they only plan on doing 3 seasons after this one, but usually I have enough issues sorting out all the human factions and fringe characters to worry too much about the big picture.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Please HBO. Do Dark Tower like you do GoT.
While I love this premise...
Spoiler:
I really feel it would be infinitely more difficult to turn Dark Tower into a similar series. For starters, there are a fraction the amount of characters that are in GoT. Secondly, the books always takes place in one location, and it is much more linear....so you don't get the multiple character/storyline action that you get in ASOIAF. So from a visual perspective, it would be MUCH more monotonous...
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

You know, I like Dany and think she's probably the best person to rule the Kingdom, but her story is the weakest part of the show to me. It's so repetitive.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Hockeynut! wrote:You know, I like Dany and think she's probably the best person to rule the Kingdom, but her story is the weakest part of the show to me. It's so repetitive.
Stay tuned. She will face challenges.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I think Stannis is the best person to rule the kingdom. I hate her story.
Spoiler:
I thought Belwas was actually in the show...the duel was still what I was hoping for though
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

I was expecting Belwas too.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

blackjack68 wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:You know, I like Dany and think she's probably the best person to rule the Kingdom, but her story is the weakest part of the show to me. It's so repetitive.
Oh, I'm not going anywhere. :)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I'm assuming that Graves was referring to Dany's speech. May have exaggerated just a tad there...

Also, damn the time seems to fly by while this show is on.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

blackjack68 wrote:
New repetition is just around the corner
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Please HBO. Do Dark Tower like you do GoT.
While I love this premise...
Spoiler:
I really feel it would be infinitely more difficult to turn Dark Tower into a similar series. For starters, there are a fraction the amount of characters that are in GoT. Secondly, the books always takes place in one location, and it is much more linear....so you don't get the multiple character/storyline action that you get in ASOIAF. So from a visual perspective, it would be MUCH more monotonous...
on top of that, there is no way it would appeal to same number of people that GoT does
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shmenguin wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:
New repetition is just around the corner
Yeah, it never gets interesting.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Littlefinger's "batman voice" has officially gotten out of control. That is all.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

the wicked child wrote:I'm assuming that Graves was referring to Dany's speech. May have exaggerated just a tad there...

the Tommen/Tywin conversation was the best part of the episode to me. nothing really fantastic, but solid.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

meecrofilm wrote:Littlefinger's "batman voice" has officially gotten out of control. That is all.
ha. it was overkill last night.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

canaan wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Littlefinger's "batman voice" has officially gotten out of control. That is all.
I couldn't tell if he just hasn't been on the show for a while and I forgot what he sounded like or was he doing a completely different voice?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:
I couldn't tell if he just hasn't been on the show for a while and I forgot what he sounded like or was he doing a completely different voice?
same. though if this many people noticed it, i think we know that it was a special brand of overkill.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

canaan wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I'm assuming that Graves was referring to Dany's speech. May have exaggerated just a tad there...

the Tommen/Tywin conversation was the best part of the episode to me. nothing really fantastic, but solid.
Pretty good description of the episode. I think it will play better as part of the whole than on its own in the long run.