George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by newarenanow »

Dance with Dragons was longer than SOS.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

My copy of ASOS is 1128 pages. Granted, I have a hardcover version of ADWD so not sure how that translates to paperback, but it's only 969. So for me it's less. It just feels ten times longer when you read it. :pop:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote: It just feels ten times longer when you read it.
:fist:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Gaucho wrote:I forgot what the latest on Davos was. Fill me in, please?
Spoiler:
He took Edric Storm who looks to have been merged with Gendry away to save him from sacrafice. Then he goes to White Harbor to ask them to aid Stannis, they fake his execution to get thje Manderly's son back from Cersei and then Manderly tells Davos they will support Stannis if he goes and gets Rikon Stark.

So guessing next books we see Davos find Rickon and Osha.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

So concerning Catelyn
Spoiler:
Does anyone think Lady Stoneheart will be on the show? or is Catelyn written on tv completely?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

SolidSnake wrote:So concerning Catelyn
Spoiler:
Does anyone think Lady Stoneheart will be on the show? or is Catelyn written on tv completely?
Spoiler:
I would guess that she will be, possibly as the last wtf for this season. Obviously they aren't going to mention that she is in due to spoilers, so we'll probably just have to wait and see.

She is a pretty big deal to at least Brienne and Jaime, and I can't see the show passing up a chance at zombie cat.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

the wicked child wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I would guess that she will be, possibly as the last wtf for this season. Obviously they aren't going to mention that she is in due to spoilers, so we'll probably just have to wait and see.

She is a pretty big deal to at least Brienne and Jaime, and I can't see the show passing up a chance at zombie cat.
Spoiler:
Ah ok, I was wondering because stupid question but Lord Beric Dondarrion who brings her back hasn't been on the show yet has he? maybe I missed it? or maybe he won't be in the show and they will have Catelyn become Stoneheart some other way
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

He was on a bunch of episodes last season
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

SolidSnake wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Ah ok, I was wondering because stupid question but Lord Beric Dondarrion who brings her back hasn't been on the show yet has he? maybe I missed it? or maybe he won't be in the show and they will have Catelyn become Stoneheart some other way
Spoiler:
He's been on. He was on last season and got f'd up by the Hound at their hideout.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Oh geez I feel dumb :face: how did I miss him? :cry:
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

the wicked child wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
She will definitely be the finish of the season, just like how the book ended. I can't wait. This is one thing that my friends who haven't read the book haven't had spoiled yet. All the deaths from this season were already spoiled.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Spoiler:
Of all the characters who could have been revived Cat was like the least desired person I wanted to see again.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Spangler wrote:
Spoiler:
Of all the characters who could have been revived Cat was like the least desired person I wanted to see again.
Spoiler:
but she is the most suited for a character like Lady Stoneheart. I think it works really well.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Seeing Beric Dondarrion mentioned just reminded me of Thoros of Myr, and how much more I liked him in the show than in the books. Didn't think much of him in the books, to the point where I forgot who he was. On the show I hope we see more of him at some point.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Sadly, the purple wedding reaction videos are significantly less entertaining than their red wedding counterparts. I guess that makes sense, but still somewhat disappointing.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:Sadly, the purple wedding reaction videos are significantly less entertaining than their red wedding counterparts. I guess that makes sense, but still somewhat disappointing.
Well it was mush less shocking and gut wrenching.

Joffrey died! :fist:

And that's about it.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

spoiler alert
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

no spoilers needed for things that have happened on the tv show.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah i'd say after Monday's nothing needs to be spoilered. I'm not sure what actual spoiler rules are though.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

that seems like a silly rule
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

like the walking dead and true blood threads, anything in the source material that hasn't happened on TV is spoilered. anything that's already aired on TV is fair game.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:like the walking dead and true blood threads, anything in the source material that hasn't happened on TV is spoilered. anything that's already aired on TV is fair game.

And even then, this thread was started in 2008, almost 6 years ago well before a show existed. Anything that has been published really shouldn't need to be spoiler tagged but I'll be nice for you rubes who won't read the books :)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Since we need to have one thread for both the books and the show, the standing rule is that anything that has not yet occurred on the show should be spoilered. After that, it's open season.

It's not really that tough to click the spoiler button, though it is more of a pain on mobile.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I still haven't watched episode 2 of this season. My girlfriend watched it in the car while we drove back from Pittsburgh so I got to listen to it. I want to see the whole wedding scene because I only kind of know what was going on. I have read the books, I just want to know which shenanigans were involved. For example, it seems like they may not have had the full joust scene? Or did they. I only noticed that going on when the Tyrion part came up.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

No, they had a "history lesson" about the war of the 5 kings involving dwarves in place of the joust. It was awesome, IMO.