Flyers sign McDonald

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
PfanTN
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Flyers sign McDonald

Post by PfanTN »

the wicked child wrote:At this point it isn't even funny anymore. Intentionally or not, they are driving up the prices of players league wide with these types of signings. I'm not sure if it's intentional malevolence, but it hurts more than just them in the long run.
I don't know. To me this sounds a little tinfoil-hatty. I think contract they signed him to is simply similar to what he would have recieved on the open market in a year where the pool of FA d-men is absolute garbage.

This is just a reality of the new CBA and a crappy situation with the FA market this year. It just kind of is what it is.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

If I was a UFA to be, I would BEG my team to trade me to the Flyers at the deadline. It's a guaranteed WIN for me!

They always jump the gun and sign the player to a ginormous deal, essentially negotiating against themselves. It's comical the way they throw money at nobodies. Not to mention if you are an over-the hill, injury prone former all star like Lecavalier.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

DelPen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Not eligible for SC playoffs, did not sign before regular season ended.
He signed an ATO to play with the Phantoms and his ELC doesn't begin until this fall. They still could have signed him now and burned a year of his contract to have him play 5 NHL games before their season is done.
First sentence, yes. Second sentence, I don't believe so. If he had signed before the regular season ended, yes. But in order to play in the playoffs, I think he needed to be signed by 3 pm on Sunday. At least, that's my understanding...
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

mikey287 wrote:
DelPen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Not eligible for SC playoffs, did not sign before regular season ended.
He signed an ATO to play with the Phantoms and his ELC doesn't begin until this fall. They still could have signed him now and burned a year of his contract to have him play 5 NHL games before their season is done.
First sentence, yes. Second sentence, I don't believe so. If he had signed before the regular season ended, yes. But in order to play in the playoffs, I think he needed to be signed by 3 pm on Sunday. At least, that's my understanding...
Thought I read different from maybe capgeek. Either way, surprisingly sensible move by the Flyers to not rush him to the NHL now.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Though, he would add an element to their blueline that they sorely lack. He really has game changer upside from back there...wouldn't have been a bad "secret weapon" dress 7 and in a pinch or on a power play, let him fly...honestly, I would have done it if I were them...but I'm not a GM...
PfanTN
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by PfanTN »

mikey287 wrote:Though, he would add an element to their blueline that they sorely lack. He really has game changer upside from back there...wouldn't have been a bad "secret weapon" dress 7 and in a pinch or on a power play, let him fly...honestly, I would have done it if I were them...but I'm not a GM...
Yeah but you do that and you're burning a year of his ELC on a huge risk. Yeah he was great at the college level but is still a bit undersized and who's to say he could definitely jump right into to the NHL...in the PLAYOFFS...and hang with the big boys right off the bat? Thats a huge gamble.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

The flyers have never concerned themselves with anything beyond the short term.