George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by shmenguin »

arya...
Spoiler:
is definitely going to bravos this year. there's a shot of it in the season preview.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:arya...
Spoiler:
is definitely going to bravos this year. there's a shot of it in the season preview.
Good, because
Spoiler:
her change from cat of the canals to assasin will make for a good story in season 5
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Spoiler:
speaking of bravos, does the man without a face make a return
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
that one, specifically? not that we're aware of. though they all change faces, so who knows. the interesting thing is that in both the show and the book, we don't officially know what happened to her "dancing" teacher - who was from bravos. i think there's at least a little chance that he killed all those lannister guards and will make an appearance again. who knows...maybe he was jaqen h'ghar
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Don't know for sure yet. There are at least fivedifferent characters, Joquin, the guy he truns into, the merchant at the citadel who wants the key, that oen changes into the guy who stole the key (Pate?) and then the teacher at the Many Faced God house. Some speculate too that they are all the same person as well as Cyrio (sp), her sword teacher.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Must not read spoilers
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I seem to remember Stannis being amused with the pig joust in the book. Tyrion watched him and pointed out it was the only time he saw him grin.

I could be making that up, though. I always remember things going down differently than they really did in the book. I really need to reread them especially since I have a better grasp of the characters now.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Do you mean Tywin?
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Yeah Tywin, I have no idea why I typed Stannis. :face:
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Especially since Stannis doesn't do a damn thing. Ever.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Patience.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

blackjack68 wrote:Patience.
:thumb:

Basically if you don't like the Stannis/Melisandre story line just wait. I've come to the conclusion that the only characters that REALLY matter are Stannis, Melisandre, Jon, and the entire Night's Watch. Everyone else can go pound sand with their pitiful game of thrones. Who cares about the most uncomfortable chair in the world when there is A FREAKIN' ARMY OF ICE ZOMBIES ABOUT TO MARCH ON THE ENTIRE PLANET!?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

PensFanInDC wrote:

Basically if you don't like the Stannis/Melisandre story line just wait. I've come to the conclusion that the only characters that REALLY matter are Stannis, Melisandre, Jon, and the entire Night's Watch. Everyone else can go pound sand with their pitiful game of thrones. Who cares about the most uncomfortable chair in the world when there is A FREAKIN' ARMY OF ICE ZOMBIES ABOUT TO MARCH ON THE ENTIRE PLANET!?
Spoiler:
Stannis doesn't even matter.
Tyrion matters too and Danyris does as well.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

DelPen wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I will grant you Stannis but what does Dany or Tyrion have to do with anything? Dany wants the throne (for good or bad it doesn't matter) and what is Tyrion doing? Neither of them (as far as I know) have anything to do with stopping the ice zombies.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:
DelPen wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I will grant you Stannis but what does Dany or Tyrion have to do with anything? Dany wants the throne (for good or bad it doesn't matter) and what is Tyrion doing? Neither of them (as far as I know) have anything to do with stopping the ice zombies.
Spoiler:
i'd wager dragons defeating ice zombies is the ultimate end game. Dany's going to matter, i think
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Spoiler:
If that's the end game I quit right now. What an unoriginal piece of trash that would be. We are owed more than that easy out
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Spoiler:
If that's the end game I quit right now. What an unoriginal piece of trash that would be. We are owed more than that easy out
Spoiler:
what about jon snow using his stark/targaryan hybrid powers to warg into one of the dragons? that do anything for you?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

....I'm listening....
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Spoiler:
I highly doubt it will be as simple as dragons = win. However, it is a safe bet that they will play into the war in some fashion.

Also !@#$ Stannis. Not much more than a tool for Melisandre.

I'm not entirely convinced that she is "good", even though she may be the one person outside of the Night's Watch that is smart enough to realize that the Iron Throne is irrelevant if the walkers overrun things. Perhaps a necessary evil, but certainly not good.

One thing that is certain... the endgame will probably not be one that we expect right now.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

shmenguin wrote:arya...
Spoiler:
Yes, but...
Spoiler:
Likely not until episode 10, as that is when the captain of the ship is supposedly appearing.

The shot in the previews could potentially be Stannis arriving to treat with the Iron Bank on his way north.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:
the wicked child wrote:And I think some of what you mentioned there is going to happen this season.

Maybe two of them:
Spoiler:
Brienne starts her journey for sure, guessing that starts in Oathkeeper? Doesn't she start off in Randyll Tarley's town where you get some back story on her and then she goes to crack claw point after meeting up with Pod?

I can see them getting to Arya arriving in Braavos and meeting the guy in the Many Faced God house, seems like a logical end to her stroy this season since there isn't too much more she can do with the Hound unless he gets a mahor rewrite
Spoiler:
Brienne's journey begins, likely in episode 4 based on the episode title (Oathkeeper), though it is probably somewhat different than the books, as I don't recall anyone being cast as Randall Tarly. If you watched that Foreshadowing preview before the season, you know that Gwendolyn Christie was frighteningly excited over something that she gets to do this season.

As I just posted, Arya will depart for Braavos by the end of the season, but I don't believe she will meet the Kindly Man or whatever this season... I am guessing they either jsut show her leaving or show her arriving and leave off there.

As for Sam and Gilly, there are actually shots of them seemingly leaving on a wagon in this week's episode, which is early, to say the least. Sam needs to be around to help fix the election, so not sure where they are going with this.

Bran is probably going to be through all/most of his material by the end of the season since Bloodraven and Leaf are both cast IIRC.

I suspect Arya/Littlefinger are going to be well into their plot as well given that a couple of the latter characters in their storyline were cast for this season as well.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

For Sansa
Spoiler:
Thought they killed Lysa in FoC but rereading they had already done it. they don't have much plot besides not getting found out from what I remember after SoS.
Was storm of Swords the longest book becuase so much stuff happens still
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I forgot what the latest on Davos was. Fill me in, please?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

This thread has become really exciting for people who haven't read the books and don't like spoilers. ;)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:For Sansa
Spoiler:
Thought they killed Lysa in FoC but rereading they had already done it. they don't have much plot besides not getting found out from what I remember after SoS.
Was storm of Swords the longest book becuase so much stuff happens still
Yeah, it was by far the largest book, and unlike the 2 which followed, there was almost always stuff happening, especially in the latter half of the book.

Re:Sansa
Spoiler:
After Lysa takes her little tumble, it's all about selling that the singer did it so that they won't be killed and/or lose control of Robin and thus the vale. Episode 7 is called Mockingbird, Littlefinger's sigil, so I am expecting that to end with Lysa's tumble and later we will see the arrival of the Lords Declarant, who I believe have been cast for this season.