George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by newarenanow »

the wicked child wrote: Apparently some readers really have their panties in a bunch over this change, however.
Yeah, sometimes the book readers need to realize that TV audiences are much different, and due to time and budget constraints, you have to sometimes roll a two characters into one. There has to be some differences are we'd probably still be in book 2 after 4 seasons, and the cast and story lines would be so drawn out and large that people would lose interest.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

The fact that this is, so far, one of the best transitions from book to film makes me even more angry at the book purists. They are doing a REALLY good job at bringing the story to life.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i'm having a hard time thinking of a change they made in the show that ended up being worse than the book. overall, the story has been improved, imo.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shmenguin wrote:i'm having a hard time thinking of a change they made in the show that ended up being worse than the book. overall, the story has been improved, imo.
Yeah, the next couple seasons should show that even more. It definitely seems like they are going to lean on Bronn more in the show which is excellent.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, I really don't understand the complaints book vs. series. I think this is up there with Roots and Band of Brothers for best dramatization of a book (or books).
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I actually love that things happen a little differently, you know basically what is going to happen but its still fresh.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Coming as a non-reader, I like Bronn and had to look up who the hell Ilyn Payne is. To me it makes sense for the show to switch smaller parts to recognizable characters instead of someone from the "Game of Thrones Encyclopedia of Who the Hell is That Guy?" as long as it doesn't have an effect on future storylines. The show is extremely expansive and I feel like its already pushing the limits of the non-book readers attention. With the distance between characters and storylines, the weird-ass names of some characters, references to characters we've never seen, the very in-depth history of Westeros, and going episodes without seeing specific characters or storylines, its a difficult show to follow. Anything they can do to make it easier is a win in my book.

The character names bit from Honest Trailers - Game of Thrones pretty accurately most conversations I have with non-reader viewers of the show.

[youtube][/youtube]

And yes, the actor for Ilyn Payne, Wilko Johnson, has terminal pancreatic cancer. He's apparently a pretty big deal. Was the guitarist for Dr. Feelgood in the 70s and recently released an album with Roger Daltrey.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I've read the books and still find myself asking my wife who is who and why are they doing this. My memory is both a blessing and a curse.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Despite some changes, they've arrived at the end result pretty much every time, which is what matters in the end.

It could have been like True Blood where it's a completely different story from the books from what I hear.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

I think the book readers are suffering from the delusion that the universe Martin created is perfect. I've read/watched simultaneously and to be honest the show does many things better than Martin and streamlining his bloated story is one of them. Somewhere in AFFC Martin began simply tinkering with the pieces in his story instead of using them as plot devices to move it forward.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Spangler wrote:Despite some changes, they've arrived at the end result pretty much every time, which is what matters in the end.

It could have been like True Blood where it's a completely different story from the books from what I hear.
So you're saying the Sookie Stackhouse series is good?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

[youtube][/youtube]
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Spangler wrote:Despite some changes, they've arrived at the end result pretty much every time, which is what matters in the end.

First season of True Blood was pretty much on the book (some differences, but overall on). After that, it kept some storylines, but was mostly on it's own and differed from the book big time.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I think the book readers are suffering from the delusion that the universe Martin created is perfect. I've read/watched simultaneously and to be honest the show does many things better than Martin and streamlining his bloated story is one of them. Somewhere in AFFC Martin began simply tinkering with the pieces in his story instead of using them as plot devices to move it forward.
Yep. I am looking forward to the streamlining of the 4th and 5th books. There are good events in there, just have to slog through hundreds of pages of travelogue to get to them.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

It would be hilariously awesome to see Sam Jackson as Nick Fury as Euron Grayjoy eye patch and all. :)

I have a feeling the ending HBO puts together will be superior to Martins. Everything with Harrenhall was better on the show. I loved that they kept the guy who chopped Jamie's hand off and is with Bolton.

The minor differences make things still interesting in the show. I know the main story but the Red Wedding had some big details changed and I liked it better on the show too
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Just rewatched the episode... I enjoyed it more the second time around since I wasn't waiting for the end the entire time. Well, I still was, but the journey was more enjoyable.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

If you could channel your love of this series into finding a cure for cancer the world would be a much better place and you'd be a rich man.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Or you could channel it into martin's focus on writing. A much worthier cause.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Idoit40fans wrote:

So you're saying the Sookie Stackhouse series is good?
I have no idea. Going by what my sister says about them.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PensFanInDC wrote:If you could channel your love of this series into finding a cure for cancer the world would be a much better place and you'd be a rich man.
Alas, I do not have the ambition for that, and winter is coming.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:Just rewatched the episode... I enjoyed it more the second time around since I wasn't waiting for the end the entire time. Well, I still was, but the journey was more enjoyable.
One funny part ws Oberyn saying hello as Tyrion walked by, he responded and was shot down that Oberyn was talking to the controtionist.

I couldn't tell if Tywin was angry about the midget fight or amused. Granted no one likes Stannis or the Grayjoys but half the guests were with Renly a short time ago and you have a Stark sitting at the head table.

And was glad not to see this:
Spoiler:
No midget joust which hopefully means Penny will not show up later. Getting rid of her will greatly speed up Tyrion's stroy
And quite honestly, Storm of Swords was so good, almost nothing unecessary and needed two seasons. I'm not sure Feast/Dance need more than 1 season. Reading the combined ball of beasts there is one chapter that is almost word for word identical in both books when:
Spoiler:
when Sam is told he is going to the citadel. there is some extra parts from Sam's POV and then Jon's POV but 90% of it is identical
Kindle says I'm 14% in but there isn't much that has happened and I find myself skimming the boring parts.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:I couldn't tell if Tywin was angry about the midget fight or amused. Granted no one likes Stannis or the Grayjoys but half the guests were with Renly a short time ago and you have a Stark sitting at the head table.

And was glad not to see this:
Spoiler:
No midget joust which hopefully means Penny will not show up later. Getting rid of her will greatly speed up Tyrion's stroy
Tywin is generally pretty good at not letting his true feelings show at any given time. He may be slightly amused, but at the same time, he is smart enough to know that it's a bad idea to offend everyone in that manner.

re:spoiler
Spoiler:
The main reason for no joust is that D&D were told that riding the pigs would be bad for the pigs. That doesn't mean necessarily that they were planning on including Penny anyway. If they are going to, they can always say one of those dwarves was her brother. But I am with you... would prefer if she was left out.
DelPen wrote:And quite honestly, Storm of Swords was so good, almost nothing unecessary and needed two seasons. I'm not sure Feast/Dance need more than 1 season. Reading the combined ball of beasts there is one chapter that is almost word for word identical in both books when:
Spoiler:
when Sam is told he is going to the citadel. there is some extra parts from Sam's POV and then Jon's POV but 90% of it is identical
Spoiler:
Yeah, I remember when I first read read the books going "hey, wait a minute..." when I read the Jon version in ADWD. From the Ep3 previews, it looks like we may be getting the events of this chapter next week. Minus Mance's baby, obviously.
DelPen wrote:Kindle says I'm 14% in but there isn't much that has happened and I find myself skimming the boring parts.
It won't quite get to 100% before you finish due to all of the history stuff at the end. I forget what % I was at when I finished it.

I am really looking forward to seeing that condensed in the show. Aside from improving the story by cutting out the fat, if they end up going beyond 7 seasons, I would much prefer that they cover more of the last 2 books than anything further from 4/5. And especially if they only end up doing 7, I don't want them to have to rush through what would surely be more important events to get to the end.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:
DelPen wrote:Kindle says I'm 14% in but there isn't much that has happened and I find myself skimming the boring parts.
It won't quite get to 100% before you finish due to all of the history stuff at the end. I forget what % I was at when I finished it.

I am really looking forward to seeing that condensed in the show. Aside from improving the story by cutting out the fat, if they end up going beyond 7 seasons, I would much prefer that they cover more of the last 2 books than anything further from 4/5. And especially if they only end up doing 7, I don't want them to have to rush through what would surely be more important events to get to the end.
So far combining them:
Spoiler:
The Sand Snakes being rounded up in Dorn
Tywin's funeral
Tyrion's time in Pentos
Daneryis's court where they bring in childrens bones that Drogon ate
Stannis asking for castles from Jon, him sending Gilly and Sam to Old Town and Slynt being executed
Brienne doing boring Brienne things lookign for the Stark girls
Arya arriving in Braavos
Littlefinger and Sansa getting their stories straight before the lords of the Vale come visit
That's maybe two episodes and only one thing that's exciting and a lot can be cut for pacing.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

And I think some of what you mentioned there is going to happen this season.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:And I think some of what you mentioned there is going to happen this season.

Maybe two of them:
Spoiler:
Brienne starts her journey for sure, guessing that starts in Oathkeeper? Doesn't she start off in Randyll Tarley's town where you get some back story on her and then she goes to crack claw point after meeting up with Pod?

I can see them getting to Arya arriving in Braavos and meeting the guy in the Many Faced God house, seems like a logical end to her stroy this season since there isn't too much more she can do with the Hound unless he gets a mahor rewrite