TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: TV Shows

Post by eddysnake »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
canaan wrote:I wasn't quite as sold on silicon valley as you guys. It was meh to me but the concept is good and I'll give it another go. Then again, I felt the same way about veep at first and now I love it.
I liked it the first time, then watched it again and was kind of 'meh'. I like the style of humor (the Jobs/Wozniak bit was funny though stereotypical) but the premise is kind of...predictable? Anyway, the pilot episode is usually not the best way to judge a tv show and I'll be tuning in this weekend so I guess they did their job with it.
as soon as it was over, my wife says well Erlich is going after the girl from the new company, but she's going to like the main guy...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

IMO, Vice is one of the best programs on television. I just watched a crazy segment on Dagestan, where one Boston bombers lived for 6 months.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

We need to talk more about Vikings in this thread. It is getting surprisingly more graphic/violent then I thought it would on the History channel. Although I thought the major scene of the last episode walked the line quite nicely. I remember reading about that specific uh...procedure???...and was curious what they would do on a channel like History. I squirmed a bit yet they didn't show a whole lot either.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

I have seen so little of Archer this season. Any good?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Pretty good. Kenny Loggins makes an appearance.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Silicon Valley referenced the Mass Effect 3 ends. I cannot put into words how awesome that was!
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

columbia wrote:IMO, Vice is one of the best programs on television. I just watched a crazy segment on Dagestan, where one Boston bombers lived for 6 months.
ive been meaning to watch this
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Since we are cutting cable very soon the wife and I have been trying to exclusively use other forms of entertainment to get used to it. We were cruising Netflix and used the Get The Max feature. It lead us to a show called The Finder(?). Excellent premise. Probably the worst acted and executed show in TV history.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Mad Men started off slow, but got better. Since they are splitting this last season up with 7 this year and 7 next, things better start moving a little faster.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Person:

Amazing how much space one can free when we get access to our DVR (my wife's sister is away for spring break giving us access to our basement). We cleared 5 eps without having to watch any - all reruns of earlier 2013 episodes. So instead of 17 behind, we're only 12 behind and haven't missed any.

Castle:
Watched two from November - the doppelganger one and the baby one. I think we have two more on the DVR before one that was missed, then have the rest to current.

Surviving Jack:
Anyone watched this? We hadn't started it yet but had three eps on the DVR.

Suburgatory:
I forgot this was still on. Our DVR had accumulated 9 eps since the start of the season. Hadn't watched any yet.

Grey's:
Finally watched this week's Grey's. No real comments on it. Stuff happens but nothing really happened, if you know what I mean.

Chicago PD/Fire continue to be strong, though we've been watching those on Hulu on account of DVR space and conflicting times.

Oh...
Spoiler:
three weeks to Jack...
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Rick and Morty is pretty freaking cool....
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Rick and Morty is pretty freaking cool....
Best show on tv currently.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

watched an episode of Portlandia last night. that show is twisted. :)
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

JeffDFD wrote:We need to talk more about Vikings in this thread. It is getting surprisingly more graphic/violent then I thought it would on the History channel. Although I thought the major scene of the last episode walked the line quite nicely. I remember reading about that specific uh...procedure???...and was curious what they would do on a channel like History. I squirmed a bit yet they didn't show a whole lot either.
Just watched the last episode last night. It's been great this season. And you are right, pretty violent. And yes, that procedure was crazy.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

S1E2 of Turn was sufficiently good enough to add the series to my weekly watch list, especially with Justified finishing up. I'm actually surprised how fast Turn is moving given they should have plenty of time and material to work with. Hopefully they can get picked up for S2 and the pace can step down a notch.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

dodint wrote:S1E2 of Turn was sufficiently good enough to add the series to my weekly watch list, especially with Justified finishing up. I'm actually surprised how fast Turn is moving given they should have plenty of time and material to work with. Hopefully they can get picked up for S2 and the pace can step down a notch.
Agree. I only watched the first half, but it is moving quickly. Not sure if they were worried they'd get the axe quickly. I hope it stays though. I think it can use some improving, but most new shows adjust and get better over time. I love this period of history and would love the show to stick. Like I said last week, it has a lot of promise.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Ok i definitely need to check that out. I was going to give it at least a 5 episode try anyway just because AMC, but i'm liking the reviews.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I liked Turn episode 2, but I'm having trouble keeping up with the Brits in wigs. :lol: The guy who plays Robert the Bruce in Braveheart is the mercenary Robert Roberts.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Not really a spoiler, but:
Spoiler:
You knew when he told his wife the shed was full of produce that will last through the spring, it was going to burn in the next scene. And, it did. Probably could've let us at least forget about the dialogue for a minute before doing the obvious.
Minor annoyance, I know.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

dodint wrote:Not really a spoiler, but:
Spoiler:
You knew when he told his wife the shed was full of produce that will last through the spring, it was going to burn in the next scene. And, it did. Probably could've let us at least forget about the dialogue for a minute before doing the obvious.
Minor annoyance, I know.
Ha. I thought the same thing. And is one thing where I say they will tweek and get better as it goes on.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, they'll get their feet under them.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I noticed that Winds of War is on Netflix. Based on Herman Wouk's bestselling historical novel, it was a huge 15 hour miniseries in 1983. The book is excellent, and I remember my parents watching it. I probably borrowed the VHS from the library 20 years ago now.

I don't think the networks have the cojones to put on a massive miniseries like this anymore.

It's a little dated looking, but if you're ever out of something to watch...
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Holy crap. I didn't realize King Horik on Vikings was the dad on Grounded for Life.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

newarenanow wrote:Holy crap. I didn't realize King Horik on Vikings was the dad on Grounded for Life.
Haha really? Dude nails the part but I can't see past grounded for life.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I noticed that Winds of War is on Netflix. Based on Herman Wouk's bestselling historical novel, it was a huge 15 hour miniseries in 1983. The book is excellent, and I remember my parents watching it. I probably borrowed the VHS from the library 20 years ago now.

I don't think the networks have the cojones to put on a massive miniseries like this anymore.

It's a little dated looking, but if you're ever out of something to watch...
Wow, I remember watching that when I was a kid.